Indian Economy

As we had often come back to discussing economic benefits/impact of sports I thought it was about time for an economic discussion forum.
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Indian Economy

Post by Sandeep »

Well, in this thread post any thing which you feel deals with Indian economy. Indian economy thread should Just not be confined to Just gov. measures. It can be private companies etc etc.

IIMs FOERIGN PLACEMENT : -

This year there is a 600% gain in foreign placements of IIM graduates. 32 people already got placed in foreign countries. Maximum salary offered was 80,000$ per annum. I personally feel that it is pretty less for an IIM graduate.

US MBA AT FREE OF COST: -

Sounds pretty exciting right. It is. Top schools of USA are planning to enroll students from developing countries, and pay their expenses for education provided that these students return back to their country. Indian students stand a very good chance to get selected, as very few people in world can match Indian Intelligence at Bachelors level especially IITians. Harvard is planning to launch this in 2006, Stanford and Wharton are also planning to launch this program in near future. Many more US universotoes are going to follow their suite.

MNCs CUT JOBS IN INDIA: -

A very sad thing happening these days is that MNCs are laying off people in India mercilessly. Layoffs are pretty common in companies outside India. MNCs are employing the same method with in India also. Procter & Gamble announced after it acquired Gillette that it would shed 6,000 jobs worldwide. SBC puts the number at 13,000, and Oracle proposes to cut 5,000 from the merged entity. More detrimental is that GE started its talent exercise of firing off bottom 10% employees in India also. Tough times ahead for people working in MNCs.
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Hi

Post by Sandeep »

Andhra Pradesh budget was released today. As mentioned by YS Rajashekara Reddy before coming into power, he has alloted maximum funds for Irrigation projects. This is first step towards fulfilling the promises he made. Congress government todat alloted 8589 crores for Irrigation department and out of which 6374 crores were alloted just for new projects. Telugu Ganga project which was started in NTR time was alloted a maximum of 500 crores, Puskaram and thadipudi projects combined got 300 crores, Vamsadhara stage-2 project has been alloted 50 crores, Neredu barrage was alloted 80 crores, 394 crores are alloted for flood canals. Government has promised to finish 26 irrigation projects in 2 years time. If this can happen all I can say is YSR is amazing. Some of the Highlights of AP budget are: -

1) In Hyderabad an IIT-kharagpur research center is planned.
2)measures to start an IIT in Basara.
3)Kadapa, YSr constitution has been given a medical college with 150 seats.
4)In kadapa and vizag DISTRICT SPORTS CENTERS are going to come up.
5)Every MLA will be alloted an amount of 60 lakhs for development of their respective constituencies.
6)Gov. Intermediate colleges ae alloted an amount of 10crores for construction of buildings.
7)A ship has been ordered for tourism purpose which travels from Vizag-pondicherry-srilanka.
8)900 crores are alloted for construction of 1lakh houses for poor.
9)8 crores is alloted for treatment of children suffering from heart related issues.
10)Rs.316 crores have been alloted for development of Hussain sagar in Hyderabad.
11)3 lakh more pensions were alloted.

Many doubted the ability of YSR, especially on his promises about free electricity and irrigation projects. This is a wonderful thing done by him. A great budget.

One more noticable thing in this bidget is VIzag is given a kind of importance never given before by any government. It is a good thing as AP is too much centralized in HYD. Mant felt that this is the best budget AP has got for years. Let us see but how may of them will become realities.
Last edited by Sandeep on Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Indian Economy

Post by Kumar »

If this can happen all I can say is YSR is amazing.
is almost akin to "If only Amma loses her arrogance".. :wink:
Sravanthi
Please enter the middle number: 1

Indian Economy

Post by Sravanthi »

"5)Every MLA will be alloted an amount of 0 lakhs for development of their respective constituencies. "

what is this sandeep 0 lakhs is tooooooo much of an amount for development dont u think so :wink:
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Hi

Post by Sandeep »

Oops sorry, made a mistake. It is 60 lakhs actually. Thanks sravanthi for pointing out.

Kumar, YSR is good man. Atleast his government I felt is sensible. I don't think Naidu did a good Job other than developing Hyderabad. But yes, there are lot of Naidu supporters. SO let us take Naidu is extremely good in developing metro areas. If Naidu is good at that, YSR is good at rural development. So I guess It is a kind of overall development AP is witnessing. Alternative improvements of HYD and Rural areas.

Coming back to what you sweetly call as Amma, she is more of monarch than anything. There is lot of difference between her and YSR. Probably after Lalu and Modi, she is the worst CM. Thatdoesn't nake karunanidhi any better. He is equally bad too. TN is looking for some one to uplift them, and probably BABA(Rajni) is the answer.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Indian Economy

Post by Kumar »

I don't want BABA's fans desecrating the forum, so I willll just say I disagree with you and keep quiet.. You may see Vijayakanth becoming CM in another 4-5 years..

Actually Amma is a very good administrator.. She has bought on some good changes.. Like when the bus drivers/ govt staff went on strike, she ruthlessly killed the strike instead of caving into their demands and increase the bus fares..

She has people who are very corrupt around her.. I don't she has any need for money.. She doesn't even have kids (at least to the outside world) ... And she is also very arrogant and that too openly... If she can become less arrogant and make sure her coterie is not corrupt, she will bring on great deal of change..
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Indian Economy

Post by Kumar »

PKB, what do you think of the plan to introduce 'VAT' .. looks like there is Bharath Bandh to protest the introduction of this tax..
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

HI

Post by Sandeep »

Kumar, Amma due her arrogance is loosing many MNCs. Volkswagen would have set up a plant if Jayalalitha would have shown some kind of Interest. She is very arrogant and monarch. Even I think she did a good Job as far as that strike portion is concerned. BUt I guess that is the only thing or one among the few good things she did. All people who come up with argument for Jayalalitha point out that particular Incident only.

And personally even I think Rajni may not be a good politician. I heard he is coward and has no guts to take strong measures. I don't know about vijaykanth though.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Indian Economy

Post by Kumar »

Railway budget was tabled yesterday,
http://www.hindu.com/2005/02/27/stories ... 830100.htm

As per Hindu,
In what is seen as yet another populist budget, the Railway Minister, Lalu Prasad, today left untouched the passenger fares for all classes. Nor did he touch the freight rates and parcel tariffs, and still managed to shower concessions on unemployed, rural students, farmers and milk producers.

But Mr. Yadav has tinkered with the classification of goods for freights, placing them in higher or lower category to mop up an additional Rs. 650 crores.

The movement of non-PDS and non-poverty scheme food grains and pulses would attract higher freight charges, a step some fear could have a cascading effect on prices.
neh215

Indian Economy

Post by neh215 »

A must read!

A cruel joke for Indian Sports

The sports budget increased by Rs 31.41 crores.
gbelday

Indian Economy

Post by gbelday »

Now this is a pretty novel way of collecting taxes......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4340497.stm
Indian

Indian Economy

Post by Indian »

Short article that summarises the points very well about why most NRIs are afraid to go back and invest in India.
Taking an example of LM, who is now the third richest in the world(:roll: :D ) with around 25 billion dollars wealth!

Laxmi, come home
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/art ... 050431.cms

By the way, according to Frobes, LM added $19 billion to his wealth just last year!! :notworthy:
http://www.forbes.com/billionaires/2005 ... ill05.html

Ah, only if I ... !! :)
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

vHi

Post by Sandeep »

That was a very small article. But I am one of those believe that politics is a system. We call it political system. And Indian people are very much part of political system. If anything is wrong in system, people are part of it and has to be blamed. Come on instead of shouting at top of our voice that politicians are not doing the right thing, what have we done to our country?

Leave alone investing in India, Laxmi Mittal hardly did anything for the development of India. I don't think he is funding for any of the social causes in India. Reliance is doing, Infosys is doing. Whats wrong with Laxmi Mittal?
arjun2761

Relative size of economy

Post by arjun2761 »

World Bank has India ranked as the 10th largest economy for 2004 in terms of nominal GDP (which is the best measure of relative economic power). However, India and particularly China can move up this chart very quickly if their currencies gain strength (and particularly the Chinese stop manipulating their currency).

See Hindu report at
http://www.rediff.com/money/2005/jul/13gdp.htm
arjun2761

Indian economy potential

Post by arjun2761 »

http://www.rediff.com/money/2005/sep/10 ... &file=.htm

Interesting comparison to Indian economy's potential to Sania's rise. I agree with the author's conclusion that the Indian economy actual trails Sania even though it's potential is great.....