Indian professional squash players

A place to discuss developments in Indian squash

Moderator: Moderators

david
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by david »

Thanks Warpspeed for the latest rankins.

Whats the next assignment for our players?
kathiresan_v

Post by kathiresan_v »

The whole Indian contingent (except Ritwik and few others) including juniors are playing in the IndianOil OTTERS OPEN SQUASH CHAMPIONSHIP 2004, Mumbai.

Rediff article,
Chinnappa in line for double

Another article, Semis win will take Chotrani to Malaysia

Kathir
kathiresan_v

Post by kathiresan_v »

warpspeed

Post by warpspeed »

66 é RITWIK BHATTACHARYA
108 é SAURAV GHOSAL
148 é GAURAV NANDRAJOG
173 é SUPREET SINGH
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

I have been trying to find the names of Indian squash players in the draws of various tournaments around the world and I have not found any success recently.

India has a bunch of very talented squash players and they must be nurtured properly. How can they improve their skills and world rankings unless they play in international tournaments? What can be done to improve their situation?

warpspeed? Kathir? Anyone else with a suggestion or plan of action?
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

It's been a pretty frustrating year for anyone following Indian squash. Despite Sourav Ghoshal and Joshna Chinnappa dominating the junior events, there was little coverage -- and actually relatively few events they or Ritwik were able to enter during the year at the world level. The problem seems to be that there are not that many international tournaments, and squash has not really succeeded in professionalising itself like some other sports have done.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

The former world number one squash player Jansher Khan of Pakistan recently said, "...the way things are progressing India would start beating Pakistan within the next five years".

"I have seen how the Indians are preparing their (squash) players for the future and its very impressive," he stated.

"In India they have a very comprehensive training programme for their junior players. They have trained coaches and the results are already visible. When I was playing on the World Tour till a few years back, I never heard of any Indian player on the circuit. Now they have a player in the top 100 world rankings while one of their youngsters has won the British Under-19 title. The Indians have done even better in the women’s arena. I think all of this is very commendable shows a sign of Indian emergence in squash."

"The Indian players are almost as talented as our boys," he said.
India to become potent squash force within five years, says Jansher
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Another talent from chennai, making waves in Junior Squash winning the French Open..
Promising Chennai talent, Dipika Pallikal emerged the winner in the French Junior squash Open held in Marseilles recently. She beat France's Emilie Lamilango 8-10, 5-9, 9-6, 9-5, 9-5 in the final.
http://www.hindu.com/2005/02/24/stories ... 412000.htm[/quote]
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

Nice catch Kumar.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Thanks Dhurv..

Btw, Bhushan just saw your quote in one of threads regd Dipika,
Now for the bad news ( ) - she lists Chennai as her birth place and residence. (her family could still be from Kerala)
Why thatz a bad news? May I know? :-~
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

In reply to:

Btw, Bhushan just saw your quote in one of threads regd Dipika,
Now for the bad news ( ) - she lists Chennai as her birth place and residence. (her family could still be from Kerala)
Why thatz a bad news? May I know?

Wow, Kumar. I did not know that people read my posts that carefully and that to nearly 10 months after they were written. Remind me not to leave my signature when I write something controversial. :wink:

Kumar, you have to look at the entire discussion that was going on to see why I wrote that sentence.

Jay had written:
Yes, these are heartening results .. When you start seeing u15 success with some regularity, it means we are making some serious strides.. CVongratulations Dipika .. (Pallikkal sounds like a Kerala place/family name -- is she from there?)
And I replied:
Jay,
First some good news - Dipika Pallikal has also won the German Junior Open and Belgium Junior Open in the past two years.
Then I was trying to be humorous and wrote:
Now for the bad news ( :wink: ) - she lists Chennai as her birth place and residence. (her family could still be from Kerala)

She loves Chicken Biryani & Mango Juice (looks like someone from Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh to me :D ).
The wink emoticon was supposed to mean that I was joking to Jay that she lists Chennai as her birthplace and residence and not Kerala.

I apologize if I offended you or anyone from Chennai. :oops:

Addendum:

It took me about 30 minutes to find my post that Kumar had complained about and I think it is about fair a punishment I can get for writing something that could have hurt someone's feelings. :tomato:
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

I have no memory of anything I ever said .. Especially anything from more than 3 hours back :)

Jay
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Sorry Bhushan...I saw the posts between you and jay, but was little dumb :tomato: to catch on to the light hearted bantering going on!!!
Addendum:

It took me about 30 minutes to find my post that Kumar had complained about and I think it is about fair a punishment I can get for writing something that could have hurt someone's feelings.
Actually I found your post by 'Search' for 'Dipika' !!! Probably could have saved you 30 minutes by putting a link (sorry for that)..