Nicol David, world champion -- partially an NRI?

A place to discuss developments in Indian squash

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

Nicol David of Malaysia just added the world Open crown to her list of titles this year (including the British Open). She is now the undisputed world women's squash champion.
Interestingly, judging from photographs of her father in the local papers in Malaysia, she appears to be half-Indian (her mother looks Chinese). See this article (the photo of her father is towards the end of the piece):

http://www.thestar.com.my/sports/story. ... sec=sports

Malaysia has more Indians than any other country outside the Indian subcontinent, so it shouldn't be such a surprise.
In fact, the longer I live here the more I realise that we Indians owe a huge debt of gratitude to Malaysia's Indians for the independence of India. Some 20,000 of them (apart from British-Indian Army POWs totalling about 40,000) volunteered for the Indian National Army and fought for our independence in the jungles of Nagaland, Manipur and (especially fiercely) Burma in 1944-45. Among those who volunteered for the INA was AZ Phizo, who subsequently founded the separatist Naga National Council (mainly because of disillusionment with the Congress' treatment of INA veterans like him).
jimmy

Re: Nicol David, world champion -- partially an NRI?

Post by jimmy »

:Offtopic:
PKBasu wrote: Among those who volunteered for the INA was AZ Phizo, who subsequently founded the separatist Naga National Council (mainly because of disillusionment with the Congress' treatment of INA veterans like him).
It is a totally baseless comment and absolutely wrong to blame congress for Naga trouble. The formation of NNC has more to do with british-american conspiracy with our own "sin worshippers".
India1989

Post by India1989 »

I have studied about our history. I know that how fiercely INA fought. They gave freedom to Manipur and liberated the Andaman and Nicobar Islands and renamed it Swaraj and Shaheed Islands.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

jimmy wrote::Offtopic:
PKBasu wrote: Among those who volunteered for the INA was AZ Phizo, who subsequently founded the separatist Naga National Council (mainly because of disillusionment with the Congress' treatment of INA veterans like him).
It is a totally baseless comment and absolutely wrong to blame congress for Naga trouble.
Really?
jimmy

Post by jimmy »

PKBasu wrote:
Really?
Yes. Do you have any info about the "disillusionments"??
warpspeed

this is a sports site not a political site

Post by warpspeed »

lets talk sports