Squash in US

A place to discuss developments in Indian squash

Moderator: Moderators

dingchak

Squash in US

Post by dingchak »

Just stumbled on the Squash forum today. Nice. I really miss playing squash in US. Noone here even knows whats squash. They all think I am talking about stupid racquetball. How's the scene in other parts of US, north-east, california, mid-west areas? Are there any squash courts/players?
BSharma
Authors
Authors
Please enter the middle number: 1

Squash in US

Post by BSharma »

Dallas, Texas has squash courts.
suresh
Please enter the middle number: 1

Squash in US

Post by suresh »

The Ivy League has good squash teams -- Harvard is usually the
best, if I recall correctly.
voodoochild

Squash in US

Post by voodoochild »

Correction: Harvard used to be the best historically, until they were ousted from first place by Trinity which has been unbeaten for a while now. Incidentally, Siddharth Suchde, plays in the top three for Harvard. And Vaidehi Reddy plays for the Trinity women.

Surprisingly, squash in the US, although restricted to the Ivy league schools and Wall Street clubs, is gaining popularity, more in the Northeast I'd say.

You should check out the United States Squash Racquet Association (USSRA) webpage. At the college level, there is the College Squash Association (CSA). Heres a useful link.

I'm not sure where you're located but you'll find a city-wise court listing on the USSRA webpage.

Initially I was frustrated as well when all I found were racquetball courts in the city I moved to (Rochester, NY) - but once I found the local SRA and found out where the courts were I've had a lot of squash coming my way. Check out our local SRA website as well. (Incidentally, I'm the webmaster - hence the shameless self promotion ;-) )

Good luck.
Mithun Mukherjee
dingchak

Squash in US

Post by dingchak »

Thanks, that site helped. I was able to find a squash court and will go there tomorrow to see/play. But still its not that simple it seems, its a part of some club and not standalone courts. we will see. Again, thanks for the link.
Edit: BTW, I am in South florida, Ft lauderdale area.