Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Joshna Chinnappa - PB WR #10 in July 2016

Post by jayakris »

Take a look at this article:
'I played my best squash at the British Open'

I don't know I am a bit worried about her.  She is just being a 16 year old I guess.   Man, she really gives it to her dad (mom "is much cooler!" and all that) .. Then that final paragraph shocked me.  She seems to idolize the world #1 for how he comes out and smokes after each game!.. As in "say WHAT????" ..

By the way, the girl seems to have the looks too.  Hey, sponsors - Cut her a deal to sell Chyavanaprash or whatever!

Jay :D  :D
Last edited by jaydeep on Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Squash: Joshna Chinnappa - Starting pro career

Post by Dhruv »

Jay, I think your are misunderstanding/misquoting her. What I think she means/meant with that statement was not that he is cool because he smokes but because he's a maverick. basically lifting from a website
He's been called The John McEnroe of squash - and deservedly so. He creates controversy, engages his opponent and the referee, and meanwhile is himself fully concentrating on the next point.
I've seen a few interviews of him on TV on sports shows here in Canada. (he is canadian) He's cool because of his attitude and compared to the rest of the prim and proper attitude of other players. I think she was just giving an example. To be number 1 in the world in squash you have to be in top physical shape and Jonathan is a great example. You may or may not like what he does on and off the court eg. last year
In Boston last fall, he told the crowd to shut up. He also explained a few of the finer points of the rules to the referee. The next moment he was smiling and talking to a spectator between games
So he is controversial but very good at what he does and isn't afraid of controversy as he can back it up. I think it is that attitude that she likes and not specifically the smoking aspect.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Thanks Dhruv. I had kinda figured that was what she meant. But I am still surprised that he can be in top form for squash, a sport that REALLY needs top physical condition while being a smoker!

Jay
david
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by david »

Joshna is a Coorgi (Karnataka) girl and lives in Chennai. She practices at the Squash Academy there.

Joshna is a rich and mod girl just like Viadehi Reddy or many others who come to the squash courts but she does not smoke.

She is still young and I think the comments here are unfair to a talented youngster who herself is cool and must have just spoken off the cuff.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Oh, we didn't say anything bad about her. If my comments came out that way, sorry. Not criticizing her at all, and didn't think she would be foolish enough to pick up smoking, for sure! Just found her comments cute, that's all. Actually I found it refreshing that the younger sportsmen are able to speak their mind, unlike the older ones who are just so measured and calculated in what they say.

Jay
sbasu

Post by sbasu »

We don't want her to become the Capriati of Indian squash after all :) Hehehe, that's a bit harsh.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Joshna has entered the QF of junior world cup

http://www.thehindu.com/thehindu/2003/0 ... 161900.htm
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

Joshna lost to the top seed in the QF

http://www.rediff.com/sports/2003/aug/21squash.htm
kathiresan_v

Joshna & Saurav Ghosal

Post by kathiresan_v »

Here is an article aout Joshna's acheivements...she won the senior national squash open title at the age of 14 ...amazing!!!!!! Josna is currenlty ranked worrld no. 1 in under 17.

stilll strugling to get sponsers!!!!!! really pity....

also this article continued to talk something about another prodigy Saurav Ghosal...

although this article is a little old... worth reading

http://www.ispsquash.com/Joshna'sArticl ... ements.htm

Kathir
kathiresan_v

Post by kathiresan_v »

Joshna ....Josh Machine Chinnapa!!!!!! turns professional, playing her first pro tournament at Hong Hong open this November. Here is the article,

http://www.ispsquash.com/Joshna'sArticl ... ements.htm

As there is not enough match up, these girls are practising with boys, men players...interesting, read this one also,

http://www.ispsquash.com/IndianNewsMisc.htm

Kathir
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Heck, I didn't know an Indian had won the British Open squash in 1965. Anil Nayar is much less well-known than he deserves to be.

From my recollection, there were no Indian men ranked in the world's top 50 in the past thirty years (and very few even in the top 100). There is an Indian who has broken into the higher echelons of world men's squash this year (I think his name is Ritwik Bhattacharjee). But Joshna sounds very special indeed on the women's side.
V Krishnaswamy

INDIAN SQUASH STARS GET GOING

Post by V Krishnaswamy »

Though a squash forum exists, obviously it has taken a backseat now. Or is it now appearing elsewhere in some other forum.

By the way, Joshna won an event in Malaysia last week. Here is a report from the paper, The Star. I just cut the item and pasted it.

In each of the four finals, the Indian was the favaourite and top seed. But only Joshna won. Hey, guys, all you squash lovers (I have never played squash), give the kids a boost by following their fortunes

PETALING JAYA: Malaysia's Delia Arnold failed in her attempt to win her first junior title when she went down to Joshna Chinappa of India in the final of the girls' Under-19 Milo All-Stars Junior Squash Championships at the Astaka Squash Centre here yesterday.
Third-fourth seed Delia lost to top seed Joshna 9-3, 3-9, 5-9, 8-10 in 46 minutes.
Joshna took home US$800 (RM3,040) while Delia received US$600 (RM2,280).
Delia said: “I managed to take the first game because I caught her off guard. I think she was not settled down in the early stages.
“But after Joshna got into her groove, I couldn't do much to stop her especially since I was making unforced errors.
“I kept trying until the end but Joshna had the advantage because she was moving faster on court,” said Delia.
Meanwhile, three Malaysians emerged as champions from the other age-group categories – Kamran Khan (boys' Under-15), Low Wee Wern (girls' Under-15) and Nessrine Ariffin (girls' Under-13).
Kamran, the second seed, shocked top seeded Vikram Malhotra of India 9-2, 9-5, 9-0.
Third-fourth seed Nesserine also created an upset when she defeated another Indian player, V. Anvesha Reddy, the top seed 9-7, 5-9, 9-4, 9-0.
Wee Wern, however, easily defeated Singaporean Pamela Chua 9-1, 9-2, 9-1.
In the main event, the boys' Under-19 competition, saw second seed Khalid Atlas of Pakistan, easily upstaging top seed India's Saurav Ghosal 9-5, 9-3, 9-1.
Khalid won a purse of US$1,000 (RM3,800) while Saurav became US$700 (RM2,660) richer for his efforts.
kathiresan_v

Post by kathiresan_v »

Petaling Jaya??!!!! sorry, somewhat I missed it.... :(

Anyway congratulations to Joshna.

Kathir
kathiresan_v

Post by kathiresan_v »

YTL Malaysian Open 2004
21-24 Jul, Kuala Lumpur, $20k

Joshna played qualifies this week at YTL Malaysian Open. She got a walkover in the 1st qualifying round, however, lost to Runa Reta (Can) in the final qualifying round :( .

Qualifying Round One:
Joshna Chinappa (Ind) bt Karen Kronemeyer (Ned) (7) w/o

Qualifying Finals (Tue 20th):
Runa Reta (Can) bt Joshna Chinappa (Ind) 5/9, 9/7, 9/0, 9/7 (39m)

Kathir
BSharma
Authors
Authors

KCC - PERRIER CENTENARY CUP 2004 - Hong Kong

Post by BSharma »

Joshna has done well in the Women's International Squash Players Association (WISPA) tournament in Hong Kong. She was unseeded in this tournament and has beaten seeded players to enter the finals.

First round:
Joshna def. #6 seed CHRISTINA MAK (HKG) 8/10 6/9 9/2 9/4 9/6

Q-final:
Joshna def. CHINATSU MATSUI (JPN) 7/9 9/5 9/1 9/1
(Matsui had upset the 4th seed Shabana Khan of USA in the first round.)

Semi-final:
Joshna def. #2 seed TEGWEN MALIK (WAL) 2/9 9/7 9/0 9/5

The final match is against the top seed REBECCA CHIU (HKG).

Go Joshna.

Addendum:
Rebecca Chiu is ranked # 17 in the world (WISPA) and Tegwen Malik is ranked #26. Shabaha Khan is #51 and Christina Mak #61. Joshna is ranked #107 but has played in only 3 tournaments.