Somdev Dev Varman ...

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Somdev Dev Varman ...

Post by arjun2761 »

Definitely sad to see Somdev retire perhaps one or two years too early but he appears to have the smarts, work ethic, and likeability which will enable him to have a successful career after his playing days are over. Hopefully, he will migrate from coaching to sports administration (perhaps in the private sector) as India does not have too many like him who know what is needed to succeed at the highest levels.

On the tennis front, Somdev is definitely one of a kind in Indian tennis. That he reached the top 100 for an extended period of time (and would have been there even longer if not for injuries) was a testament of his work ethic, fitness, and grit. While we have had a few others in the top-100 all of the others were highly talented shot makers who relied primarily on their talent to get them to the top. Somdev was the first Indian grinder to get there and showed that you don't have to have supreme talent to get to the top-100 if you have the focus and work ethic to get there. Hopefully he will inspire some others (such as Sumit Nagal) that they too can get to top-100 levels if they display the same focus and work ethic. For the talented ones, he can also serve as inspiration that fitness and focus when combined with talent could perhaps get us a top-20 player in the future (although none of the current rising crop appear to be on that path).
prashanthm
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by prashanthm »

Farewell SKD!!! :notworthy:

May we see you on the sidelines of big tennis events molding the future generation of tennis players.... :goodluck:
cricketics

Post by cricketics »

PKBasu wrote:cricketics you are most welcome to use my post elsewhere.
Thank you
vatsal323

Post by vatsal323 »

My piece on Somdev's great career -

http://www.sportskeeda.com/tennis/look- ... er-retires
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

That's a really nice article on Somdev which captures the essence of his spirit and his tennis achievements.
vatsal323

Post by vatsal323 »

Thanks Arjun! :D
RohitG

Post by RohitG »

That's a very nice article Vatsal! As Jay mentions, I think Somdev needs to see this thread (especially the last few pages) to get an idea about the love and respect we have for him; and understand that he's not alone in this fight for changing Indian sport. Maybe we can reach him through twitter..
vatsal323

Post by vatsal323 »

Thanks RohitG. I tagged him on my post on Facebook. Let's see if he reads it.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Ram

Post by Ram »

Loved the content and articulation. Hope Somdev gets responsibilities high up in Indian Sports Administration. He will do a great job.
cricketics

Post by cricketics »

I am still not over from his retirment call. It so feels like an unfinished movie. I would have love to have seen him compete more or announce it before he was about enter his last tournament so we could see it and would have been prepared at least.

This was very much like Rahul Dravid's retirment from Indian cricket where I remember he announced it out of no where and shocked Indian cricket. Dravid was, is and will remain a genetlman and I must say Somdev too is one like Dravid.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Wow, what an amazing blast from Buji. You go, man!!

I loved this - "But once again, useless is as useless does." He threw that in just at the right spot in the article.

So well-written in a very down-to-earth but powerful style. He did take his writing classes at Univ. of Virginia seriously. Good work at making paragraphs, a skill that is seemingly not taught well in India.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Yes, he certainly channeled his inner Forest Gump!
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

A slap on the face but i don't expect any change in AITA's behavior. AITA members are far too powerful and egoistic to listen to a player (former player) and change their policies/attitude for better. This is when we need the Indian tennis legends to step in and voice out.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »