Somdev Dev Varman ...

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

Prashant
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Somdev Dev Varman ...

Post by Prashant »

Wow, this isn't great news to start the year. However, I will always remember Somdev as a fighter - the guy really did play up to his potential, and what more can you ask for as a fan? Great job Somdev!!
Varma

Post by Varma »

Very sad but expected news. He gave us more happier moments than any other player in the recent past. I was very fortunate to have watched some of his matches in live and cheer for him (and wrote some reports too, I guess). Having followed him since his junior years, it feels a bit unfinished since he couldn't compete as much as he wanted to (and as much as we wanted him to) in the past couple of years. That stupid shoulder surgery rendered him to never be the same player he was before. Thanks for the wonderful ride, Buji. You are one of the nicest Tennis players I have ever met! :notworthy:

- Varma

PS: Now that you don't need them anymore, can you please pick a junior and lend your legs and work ethic to him please. That "please" is as pretty as it can get. I hope you are listening :)
RohitG
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by RohitG »

Somdev and his work ethic would inspire me to wake up at 2.30 AM just to get a glimpse of his game on live stream. There are many what-ifs when you look at his career but I guess he has a different philosophy. There were questions on who would step up after Leander & Mahesh and this guy did it. As they say, "cometh the hour.." So the question as to who would be the next guy, I am sure someone will step up. Somdev is a mature person and he will make it big when it comes to administration (tennis academy perhaps?) and coaching. We saw what Bhupathi has done and others who have taken the college route, I remember someone (Jay or Prasen I guess) making a mention about how the college route (the environment) makes these guys good administrators or corporate leaders post-retirement. Maybe Som can pick a ward and become a godfather. All the best and thank you very much SKD
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I agree with that statement but I did not say it. It may have been Jay.
vatsal323

Post by vatsal323 »

Somdev's run to the 2009 Chennai Open final was what hooked me to tennis. #ThankYouSomdev
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

This is a nice interview of Somdev where he elaborates the reasons for his retirement and talks about AITA working -

Passion in my game was dying, so hung racquet: Somdev
cricketics

Post by cricketics »

All of a sudden I am starting to feel old because he was part of my younger days where I would hear about him beating John Isner when he was at UVA. That time he was the "find" for us and it wasn't really too long ago. Today when he called it quits, I feel as if I have gotten old. It felt the same when Tendulkar retired few years back as he was part of my childhood all along.

It feels my childhood is over.

Thank you for the memories, Somdev.
Abish arul

Post by Abish arul »

vatsal323 wrote:Somdev's run to the 2009 Chennai Open final was what hooked me to tennis. #ThankYouSomdev
same here vatsal I have never been an tennis fan before that :D
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

cricketics you are most welcome to use my post elsewhere.
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

For me it was his run in 2007/08 at NCAA, exhibition events and then finally moving from a rank in the 1000s to top-150 within a period of 12 months - I moved from a passive tennis follower to an Indian tennis addict. I've never interacted with him but looking at the way he has conducted himself, honesty, being a team player and looking at his leadership traits - he is one guy that I really hope somehow gets into a prominent role at the AITA in his second innings.

It will be a tragedy if he isn't
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

These are really sincere and heart-felt comments from all of you. I hope Somdev sees them! (Hey, now he might have some time to read this forum :) ) ... Jay
kna

Post by kna »

My favorite Indian tennis player of all time.

His run at the NCAAs was amazing. 3 singles finals and 2 titles. His 7-6 4-6 7-6 win over John Isner in the final for his first title is rated by many as one of the best NCAA matches of all time. He did that on Isner's home court at the University of Georgia in Athens. He is a legend at UVa.

He had a decent pro career - especially given that speed, retrieving ability and mental toughness were his biggest strengths.

He always gave his best for India with crucial wins in the Davis Cup and gold medals at the Commonwealth and Asian Games.

Thank you for showing that good guys CAN finish first. Thank you for giving it your all every time you stepped on the court. Thank you for your fighting spirit, hard work, never-say-die attitude and dedication to fitness.

You are a wonderful role model for young sportspersons all over the world.

You will be missed so much more than you will ever know. Wish you the best of luck for the future.
suresh

Post by suresh »

I don't have much to add to what many have already said. I only wish to thank Somdev for a career that helped enthuse tennis fans like me -- his superb NCAA career and his fast rise through the ATP rankings at the end of his collegiate career are things that I remember so well.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Somdev was the last of its kind , in the legacy Krishnan's , Amritraj , Paes who could beat any player in the world and keep them busy in DC and definitely there is not a single player on the horizon for India who can fill up those shoes which is very disturbing

Fitness was never an issue , he was supremely fit and a work horse but his indifferent form hastened this call , it started precisely this time 2 years ago , in Launceston when he faced 1600 ranked Finn Tearny when a set up and 5-3 serving for the match , went on to loose it , and from there on we saw this script being repeated regularly over and over again against lower ranked players whom he had no business to loose

But while this was all happening and he was having these consistent poor results , in between old Somdev with his flashes of old class would stand recording top notch wins and wining challengers in India and USA and beating higher ranked players in DC giving us hope that it was only a matter of time he will find his mojo back
Even calling on his friend as a makeshift coach didn't help the matters and I saw him at the Australian open with no signs of any shortcomings as far as injury was concerned and after that just played couple of more tournaments and has never played again.

I could be wrong and stand to be corrected on the fitness issue , but i still feel this was the main reason in his inability to convert and get back to his original mould which hastened his departure , Plus his academy plans & coaching would have contributed to this decision and not keep him motivated for the tour.
Certainly sad to see him hanging his boots and as I said earlier filled up Krishnans , Amirtaj's , Paes shoes admirably and loser is Indian Tennis as we will have to wait at least 10 years that also if we are lucky for a player to take on any player in the world

Somdev thanks for the memories
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Well, we almost had/have one right now who can do that if he is fully fit and in form. But, he can't keep fit.