Srinath to coach Rohan !!

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

cm_india

Post by cm_india » Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:02 am

Just read today that Prahlad Srinath is to coach Rohan Bopanna ??!!!

Jesus Christ, with all due respect, what does he know about coaching ? With the kind of prospect that he is, don't guys think he should have invested in a foreign coach ?? :roll:

Defender
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Defender » Tue Jan 21, 2003 4:24 pm

You seem to have a valid point about Srinath. The cost, however, for a foreign coach may be quite prohibitive at this stage of his career where he is trying to make the break into Challengers. I wonder what Srinath's credentials are for coaching. Does he himself have the insight and the experience to coach someone like RB?

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris » Tue Jan 21, 2003 4:53 pm

Srinath is better than most guys masquerading as coaches in India, just to be a little harsh! .. In any event, I don't think Sri will be the REAL coach and advisor, who may still be CGK Bhupathi. Srinath will be the traveling coach. Just having somebody to watch little details and point out things will be a tremendous help to Rohan. Also, I like that Sri is a good solid modern style tennis player rather than somebody who teaches the serve-slice-chip-charge-get-passed-lose tennis. Sri also had some pretty good doubles skills (remember his run to the Chennai final?) and he can teach RB to get his volleys polished up, etc. This may be actually a good thing. Somebody who has played at some decent 300-500 level recently and knows where world tennis is right now. I can't think of anybody else in India who has that kind of recent experience to be a traveling coach.

If you look for a traveling coach from abroad, you better be ready to shell out an arm and a leg for anybody anywhere near Srinath's quality! .. They will ask for $75 per day rooms for themselves, and some $3K per month salary at least, along with air travel everywhere, etc, etc. Sri will be much much cheaper, and he will take it seriously as this is a big break for him as a coach, to be training somebody with RB's potential.

I am fine with this. If and when RB gets inside the top-150 level (no idea if he will), then we will need to look for somebody more qualified.

Jay

PKBasu

Good decision

Post by PKBasu » Wed Jan 22, 2003 2:19 am

I agree with Jay's points.
If Tim and Tom Gullikson could have coached Sampras to the top, I don't see why Srinath's career rankings (close to 300, and I think briefly inside the top-300) should count against him.
The Gulliksons were never ranked much higher than about 20-30 in the world, but they werre still terrific coaches to Pete. The very best players do not attempt to become coaches -- and often wouldn't be very good ones. Coaching (in any sport) involves much more cerebral activity than merely playing, and Srinath or Fazaluddin are likely to make much better coaches than they were players. (The same applies to India's best coach of the last 30 years, Akhtar Ali, who wasn't among the top 2 Indian players of his generation).
Simply to have a travelling coach with him (when he is still ranked only in the 330-range) would be a tremendous advantage for Rohan. Usually, it is fathers who have played this role for other Indian players, but its good to see that Rohan will get some professional support.
Now how about Harsh??! Ashok/Nirupama Mankad, are you listening?

cm_india

Post by cm_india » Wed Jan 22, 2003 5:59 am

Fair points actually....

I also believe Srinath turned down a coaching job in Florida to coach Rohan !! So he must be good !!

Me thinks Rohan to make it to top 100 by the end of this year !!! :mrgreen:

:bounce:
Last edited by cm_india on Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cm_india

Post by cm_india » Wed Jan 22, 2003 6:02 am

I mean coach Rohan, sorry !! :mrgreen:

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris » Thu Jan 23, 2003 5:26 am

cm_india: Just in case you didn't know, you can edit a post. Only the original author and us moderators can edit a post. Go ahead and click the edit button and edit the post to correct it. Then you can delete your next post. Once you do that, I will delete my post too :)

Jay

Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv » Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:43 pm

Jay, small correction he can edit his post but he can't delete it unless it is the last post in the thread.

This is so as to prevent what, how scenarios in case someone posts and then someone else posts a reply and then the initial person deletes his posts. I hope I made that sound clear though it might be a little confusing.

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris » Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:16 pm

You are right. I forgot about that ..

So, once he edits the post, I will delete this, you can delete yours, then I can delete my previous one, and he can delete his last post, and it will be all clean? :-?

Jay

cm_india

Post by cm_india » Fri Jan 24, 2003 12:59 pm

Ok I know I am going to sound really daft here, but why can't I find the edit button ?? :(

cm_india

Post by cm_india » Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:04 pm

Jesus Christ, I am daft !!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Just found it and edited it, thanks a lot guys, keep up the good work, India needs you !!!!! :mrgreen: