Asian Tennis players' thread ...

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

S_K_S
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Asian Tennis players' thread ...

Post by S_K_S »

PKBasu wrote: It will be well-deserved for one of the best grass court players outside the top-50 in the world.
It would be interesting to have a "grass court ranking". It would bring to the fore a lot of the players with a lot of talent who are outside the elite. David Lloyd was commenting that Mahut would be a top 20 on grass. I'll pencil it in for one of the quieter times in the tennis calendar.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

The game did start out being known as "Lawn Tennis."  But a grass court ranking makes no more sense than a clay court ranking, hard court ranking, cow dung court ranking, Indian clay court ranking, indoor carpet ranking, or cement court ranking. 

BTW, Mahut showed excellent early promise along with "Baby Goran" Mario Ancic.  But Ancic has gone on to more success in the senior ATP.  I believe the two played a Junior Wimby final one time.  Mahut came through the French tennis academy program and at one time was considered a bright prospect for France like Roddick was for the US.  Not sure what the weaknesses in his game are that have prevented consistent / all-surface success.

So, how come people are so confident that Aisam will qualify for Wimby this year?  Anything can happen on grass, and the Wimby qualies are tough.
Last edited by jai_in_canada on Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by arjun2761 »

So, how come people are so confident that Aisam will qualify for Wimby this year?  Anything can happen on grass, and the Wimby qualies are tough.
Since Dancevic is Canadian, I wonder if folks are having a tough time taking him seriously :D
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

:D :D That's a good one, Arjun. There is such a thing as "Canadian doubles" that club players play when there are just 3 players available. This involves two players on one side of the court (the "Canadians") playing a singles player on the other side (the "American", presumably!). Canada HAS produced some fine doubles players over the years, and half a decent singles player (Rusedski, whose mother was English, prompting him to claim British citizenship once he made it as a tennis player).
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

Hey, you guys stop making fun of the Canadian people!  It is bad enough having to put up with the lousy weather, hockey craziness, boring sense of humour, and lack of identity.  PKB, what you are referring to is "Australian Doubles!"

Rusedski was born and raised in Montreal, and developed his tennis there before switching allegiance to England in the early '90s.  Of course, there is Nestor.  And earlier there were Helen Kelesi and Carling Bassett.  Other Top 100 type players were Glenn Michibata and Andrew Szander back in the '80s.  Not a great tennis playing nation, by any means.  But there are so many public courts!  I was in Argentina and Sweden last year, and I never saw any public courts!  So why do those small countries produce so many good players - apparently systematically?

So what's all this got to do with Asian Tennis players?  Hey, Glenn Michibata was of Japanese descent!
Last edited by jai_in_canada on Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

As a ranking wise win against Mardy Fish, 38 ATP rank, is second biggest win for Aisam ... But still for me Aisam's win wasn't surprising one, becoz at Wimbledon also Mardy Fish was struggling with his game against Nadal in first round and he was also looked very vulnerable with his fitness level ... And otherhand we all knows what a terrific grass court player is Aisam So truly deserving win ... Now he is having big chance of going deep in this tournament and breaks inside top 200 ... Go Aisam

Jaydeep.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

I agree, Jaydeep.  I was not surprised that Aisam won.  That is the difference between playing on paper and playing on grass.  And today. Aisam has defeated Nathan Healy in three sets. Excellent going by Aisam.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Yes Jai, with another hard fought excellent win Aisam is in his first ATP tour quarter final ... Now he is having match against big towering Belgian Dick Norman to place in semis.

Jaydeep.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

It has been fabulous week for Asian tennis in both Mens & womens tour.

3 Asian players - Sania Mirza, Akiko Morigami from Japan ( who beat Snyder in QF) & Uzbek Akgul Amanmuradova have made the SF at WTA Cincinati.   
On the Mens tour , at LA ATP , Thai  Ratiwatana brothers upset 4th seeds to reach doubles SF & 31 year old Huyng Taik Lee upset 3rd seed Marat Safin to reach singles semis.

Add to that what Rohan, Aisam & Prakash have done at challanger levels makes it perhaps the best week for Asian tennis in a long time.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Rohan is already mentioned that he is looking for top single player for US Open doubles pairing but Aisam still giving interview telling he is pairing with Rohan in US Open ... :roll:

As per Aisam, they r also planning to play Mumbai Open as a doubles team ... I hope Rohan consider his last year's partner Mustafa for atleast Mumbai event.
PTI report wrote:"If we play to the best of our abilities with understanding we can do well in the U S Open and I am confident about that," said the player, who returned to a hero's welcome at his home town Lahore.

Qureshi said Bopanna and he would take part in a warm up ATP tournament prior to the US Open where the challenge would be tough. "We also plan to play in the Bombay Open after the US Open," he added.
Aisam also give much credit to Rohan about improving his doubles game.
PTI report wrote:Qureshi said pairing up with Bopanna had made him realise his full potential and he had learnt a lot from playing at the top level in recent months.

"He is very good at getting you to give your best in pressure situations. I enjoy playing with him," he said.
Rohan and I make a good team: Qureshi

Jaydeep.
Insider

Post by Insider »

As per Aisam, they r also planning to play Mumbai Open as a doubles team ... I hope Rohan consider his last year's partner Mustafa for atleast Mumbai event.
Who are we to ask Rohan to partner a player who will only drag him down?  Their last 4 outings together were poor.  Rohan decided to pair with a player closer to this ability (Aisam) and this decision has paid immediate dividends.  What's the point in Bopanna and Mustafa playing together for one tournament?  They do not have a whole lot of potential as a doubles pairing.  The blunt truth.
Last edited by Insider on Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
gvhvhg

Post by gvhvhg »

I have to agree with Insider on this one. Even as a doubles player I think Mustafa is a notch below Rohan or Aisam.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

You r right Insider, with their recent performance its difficult of thinking to break Rohan-Aisam partnership and if they r having big plan of keep playing doubles for grandslams and atp tour then they should stick togather in all these events ... But currently Mustafa is not doing that bad ... He is also currently #137 in doubles ranking.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Mr. Anil Khanna talking about ATF approching ATP to allow closed challangers for Asian Players :-

http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?newsid=1119246

Although he may be right in saying that opportunities are limited for Asian players, I don't think ATP will agree to something like this.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Nice interview and article about Aisam in Rediff.

Qureshi relishing 'year of firsts'
"It has been a year of firsts for me. I qualified for my first Grand Slam and made the second round of it, beat a top 10 player (Richard Gasquet) for the first time, reached the quarters of an ATP event for the first time, won my first Challenger title. So it has been a great year."

"I have been reading a few motivational books which has helped my game. My approach has changed as well and I have become a calmer player now. Moreover, it's the hard work of the past six-seven years that is bearing fruits."