Asian Tennis players' thread ...

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

Atithee

Re: Asian Tennis players' thread ...

Post by Atithee »

Not so sure. We just keep citing Yajaman example. I think there are far more players from Asian and other ex-Russian countries now. The competition is brutal. The old scheme isn’t going to produce the same results.
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

I know this forum's origins but I don't really care about our rankings amongst Asian tennis.

It is all different degrees of sucking at the global level in the men.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Only because physical attributes of our players are similar to Asian players, this comparison needs to be made with Asian players in physical sports. Because if we compare with Europeans and Americans the argument comes in that they are naturally physically more stronger.

China has 3 men and 7 women in singles main draw at this Australian open. With our growing economy and similar physical attributes can we not get at least 2-3 in main draw men/women together ?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

We still don't have enough tennis courts in the country. Similar to not having enough football grounds, but not for the same reason. I think tennis never became the middle-income group's sport in India.
Rajiv
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Rajiv »

17 year Chinese Shang Juncheng a teenage qualifier and one of youngest player in the Mens Draw Teenager created a slice of history on Monday in becoming the first male Chinese player to win an Australian Open main draw singles match.

He beat the experienced 74th ranked German Oscar Otte in a intense 3 hours of grueling 4 sets of tennis in the Australian heat, which only shows how a young teenager 17 yr old has the perfect physical attributes required by a player for the tour even at this young tender age ,while our highly feted ,pampered stars like Sumit allegedly was exhausted yesterday in his ignonimous loss.

I see this as a very significant result for Chinese Men's Tennis and envisage a lot of positive changes in the future with both the association and the players doing their intended tasks.
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

Rajiv wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:04 am 17 year Chinese Shang Juncheng a teenage qualifier and one of youngest player in the Mens Draw Teenager created a slice of history on Monday in becoming the first male Chinese player to win an Australian Open main draw singles match.

He beat the experienced 74th ranked German Oscar Otte in a intense 3 hours of grueling 4 sets of tennis in the Australian heat, which only shows how a young teenager 17 yr old has the perfect physical attributes required by a player for the tour even at this young tender age ,while our highly feted ,pampered stars like Sumit allegedly was exhausted yesterday in his ignonimous loss.

I see this as a very significant result for Chinese Men's Tennis and envisage a lot of positive changes in the future with both the association and the players doing their intended tasks.
Jerry is an incredible athlete. I saw him play a few times at USO juniors and also at the J1 College Park in 2021. He doesn’t miss much and runs down every ball. Such amazing result for a 2005 born kid. He lives and trains at IMG in Florida.

Both his parents are athletes I believe. Dad played football for the Chinese national team and mom played for their table tennis team.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Sumit is highly feted and pampered? He grew up in India. This guy had top-notch facilities in the U.S. and possibly money to do what he wanted. He moved to the U.S. four years ago, at age 13 I guess.
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

prasen9 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:13 pm Sumit is highly feted and pampered? He grew up in India. This guy had top-notch facilities in the U.S. and possibly money to do what he wanted. He moved to the U.S. four years ago, at age 13 I guess.
Yes absolutely no comparison. Jerry has a whole team around him. IMG takes care of everything (practice partners, hitting sessions, private coaches, travel coaches, fitness coach, physio etc. etc.). He also got tons of wild cards (and made good use of them).

Sumit didn’t have any of that. He’s grinding away in some corner in Germany after shuttling across academies. Also had a few injuries (including a recent hip surgery).

Manas is getting the kind of support that Jerry gets (funding, coaching, wild cards etc) and hopefully we’ll see that pay off in the years to come. He’s still very young and we shouldn’t expect anything major in the near term.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

^^ Gautam—two questions: why don’t Indians get this kind of support and those who did in the past, what did they achieve? Was Yuki one of them? At Bolliteri, IIRC.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

@Gautam/Prasun, what I was emphasizing was purely about fitness level between the both and in no way drawing comparison about the type of support both of them have recieved /receiving at 17.
It's a no brainer and the Chinese undoubtedly has a far better sophisticated support system then Sumit had ,growing up.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

And some more news about Jerry Shan Juncheng.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/indianexpr ... 4503/lite/
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Atithee wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:29 am ^^ Gautam—two questions: why don’t Indians get this kind of support and those who did in the past, what did they achieve? Was Yuki one of them? At Bolliteri, IIRC.
I don't know much. So, people can correct me if I am wrong. Jerry has been fulltime in the academy in Florida since he was 13. He has been living and studying there along with being trained. Yuki never got any of that. No Indian has got that to the best of my knowledge. You need to be good to be selected but I think you also need to pay a serious amount. Yuki's family sacrificed the development of his sisters and their touring because they wanted focus on what they thought was the most talented Bhambri: Yuki. He only had money to go to these camps for limited time.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

And maybe we never had someone as talented as this kid maybe after the Amritraj-Krishnan times.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

prasen9 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:38 am
Atithee wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:29 am ^^ Gautam—two questions: why don’t Indians get this kind of support and those who did in the past, what did they achieve? Was Yuki one of them? At Bolliteri, IIRC.
I don't know much. So, people can correct me if I am wrong. Jerry has been fulltime in the academy in Florida since he was 13. He has been living and studying there along with being trained. Yuki never got any of that. No Indian has got that to the best of my knowledge. You need to be good to be selected but I think you also need to pay a serious amount. Yuki's family sacrificed the development of his sisters and their touring because they wanted focus on what they thought was the most talented Bhambri: Yuki. He only had money to go to these camps for limited time.
Yes, Yuki went there only for short stints which were never going to enough to make too much of a difference to his game. RamK and Sumit had much more of a longer stint in Spain and Germany respectively. But, still nowhere to the level of support that Jerry has.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Sumit was actually in Canada with Bobby Mahal (with Mahesh"s support) for a good enough period before that too, so he did get some good hands-on coaching. He showed results too when he went inside top-125 and took a set off Federer at the US Open and all that. But now he is in a slump after the surgery and has to climb out of it himself. Some traveling coach could help him (I assume he doesn't have one?).