Moderator: Moderators

gvhvhg
Please enter the middle number: 1

Asian Tennis players' thread ...

Post by gvhvhg »

how about it??????????

any objections?

Jay? :D
Last edited by gvhvhg on Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Actually I say no, but not a strong no. If he does interesting things and starts making noises in singles like he seemed to be a couple of years back (or in doubles like middle of last year), I would do that. He has been kid of regressing lately and not picking up big wins anywhere it seems. If he is doing nothing much to discuss, why have it. Of course if he were an Indian, we would certainly have a link for him, as he has done more in singles and doubles than PA, RB, HM etc over the last couple of years but we hardly discus much on him. I would look for a little bit more of discussion for a forum on a clear foreign player (he does not have "Indian" ancestry, I believe. Pakistan is not India, and that is how Pakistanis like it to be).

Perhaps an Arvind Parmar (who is an British-Indian) thread should be there first, but for now a No from me on that too. Just don't want all that many player threads that's all. Rajeev Ram itself is somewhat unjustifiable as he is in the same group as Arvind, as any other Indian-foreigner is. But since there are enough people excited about him despite that, it is fine. Just my thoughts ..

If there are enough takers, I suppose we can make more forums for any player ... Basically any player from anywhere about whom we get a lot of posts (not threads, but actual posts), deserves a forum. Rajeev fits that bill, as does Sunitha. Aisam and Arvind don't, as of now. If he starts playing a lot with Rohan in doubles, we will end up having enough posts on Aisam to justify a forum down the line.

Jay
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Right now, I would vote "no". I am not against any Pakistani but this site is named "Tennis India". Players with Indian connection should have their own "threads". Even if Aisam starts playing regularly with Rohan we should discuss him in the Rohan thread. So far we do not have a separate thread for Mahesh or Leander's partners even though Max has done well in singles. As far as the Asian connection is concerned we do not have "threads" for Srichapan or any Korean or Japanese or Indonesian players. So why a thread for Aisam?
shashi

Post by shashi »

We should have a thread for Aisam.If he succeeds,it will be a test case for all our aspiring players like RB or HM as to how they can plan their path,Aisam being from a country which has probably no patronage for tennis.Anyway India is light years ahead of Pakistan in tennis and it will be interesting to see how the odd Pakistani is faring.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I feel the forums are to be started purely on the basis of how many posts a player generates, with some minimum expectation on posts depending on how close to India the player is. In other words, we really shouldn't be deciding who should have a forum based on just subjective feelings. We should objectively check if we are discussing a player's deeds often enough, with somebody or other posting something on the player often.

I would say we should start a forum for say Isha Lakhani or Manisha Malhotra if we are discussing them enough - say one post a day or something for long enough periods.

The only exception we really made is on Nirupama. Niru is Niru, and we made a forum for her even if she is not doing anything much now for us to discuss much. That is a sentimental pick (we dearly hope she would still be back and doing things for us to discuss a lot)!

Expectation on posts is lower for Indians, of course - because these are the TennisINDIA forums. Foreign players of Indian origin need to do a whole lot more and generate say for instance 2 times the posts we expect for Indians before we create a forum for them. Sunitha was creating enough discussion, so we have one for her. Foreign born players of subcontinental origin (like Aisam) need to generate three times the posts, a plain Asian foreigner (like say Srichaphan) would need to generate four times the posts, and other foreigners (say Federer) would need 5 times as many posts .. The cuts could be changed, but I hope you get the idea of what I am saying ..

Aisam hasn't been doing enough interesting things that seems to excite the readers here to post enough on him. Hence I say no forum for him. If we are getting 3 or 4 posts a day on him, sure we could start a forum, I suppose.

Jay
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

I agree with Jay. Although it takes me less than a couple of minutes to start a forum and I could very easily start a foriegn players section, unless there is a big demand for it I don't see a need for it.

As a example, I don't know how many of noticed but a couple of weeks ago I merged the cricket forum with the other sports forum as there hadn't been any posts in it for a long while. Most of the other threads that we do have are pretty active and I would like to keep it that way.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I agree with Jay. If we have a thread for Aisam, I don't see why we shouldn't have one for Paradorn or Danai Udomchoke. But this is a forum for Indian Tennis. We may even offend Pakistanis by including a thread on a Pakistani player in such a forum.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

By the way what exactly DID happen to Aisam's singles game. I mean, the guy has fallen all the way below top-450 now. He was inching up somewhere inside top-250 a while back, right? He was a top-10 junior player and much was expected of him. I suppose we should add him to the stats on players who couldn't survive for too long with the serve and volley style?

Even his doubles is not at the level it was last year. Hope he put it all togther again sometime.

Jay
gvhvhg

Post by gvhvhg »

It's fair enough to say that we should have a thread for Danai and Paradorn, if we have one for Aisam...................so why not have a whole new section in the forum for 'Other Asian Players'

just a thought
gvhvhg

Post by gvhvhg »

now that Aisam is receiving indian WC's should we have a thread for him?

PS :bounce: :bounce: :D YAY!!! 300 posts for me! :wink:
nitin gupta

Post by nitin gupta »

If at all,we can start two separate threads.One for players of Indian origin like Sunita Rao,Rajiv Ram and Arvind Parmar.And the other one for Top level,Asian players,including srichapan,qureshi etc.
Rajiv

aiseem queerishi

Post by Rajiv »

actually he (aiseem) is a genuinely genuinely a good guy unlike their other sportsmen ,
but the overbearing fact that he is from an hostile nation should keep him away.
infact i am ruing the the wc giving to him
the losers will sunil / vijay or karan either one of them will loose out
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I strongly object to the idea of having a thread for a Pakistani player. If it is Asian players we want to follow, there are at least 3 Thai players, 3 Korean, 2 Taiwanese and about 5 Japanese players who are ranked above Aisam. It is absurd -- and quite typical of our romantic streak -- that we should award a wildcard to a Pakistani at a Challenger in India. Has any Indian player in any sport ever received such special consideration in Pakistan? (squash for instance?) Give him all the best hospitality possible, but to go out of your way for a player from a country that makes it a special point to be virulently anti-India is absurd.
kathiresan_v

Post by kathiresan_v »

I am totally agreeing with PKB. I am not hard on AQ, but if it is the case why AQ only... may be we can open a general thread to discuss about other asian players as nitin (also) suggested.

Kathir
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

I am against an Aisam thread also. The common thread amongst all the threads in this forum is the link to INDIA. If we start new threads for "Non-India linked" players we may be diluting our interest and enthusiasm for our own players. Our players are generating enough news to keep all of interested in this forum. Playing with Rohan is not enough connection to India for Aisam to deserve a thread in this forum in my opinion.