Leander in Hospital - discharged, fine and now in India!

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

BSharma
Authors
Authors
Please enter the middle number: 1

Nice article in The Times of India

Post by BSharma »

The Times of India has published a nice article about Leander and Lance Armstrong. I wish the author of this article had mentioned his or her name.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cms. ... sid=155038

I really enjoyed reading the paragraph,"More admirable was the absence of melodrama and hysteria..." Dr. and Mrs. Paes along with Leander have been model for showing "grace and fortitude in this crisis." However, I wish the author had not written, "... but there has been no clamour for getting funds — as is the current trend — for having ‘sacrificed’ so much for the country." I feel that the Paes family should not be dragged into this fiasco that went on recently. The Paes family is above all this. And finally the author has correctly pointed that, "Leander has emerged from his illness with family ties strengthened, new friendships and partnerships reaffirmed, and an old one hopefully revived."

I certainly hope and pray that Leander will emerge from this illness with a new found committment to win the GOLD at Athens (along with Mahesh's need to bury the past and work together for a common good).
Rishav

Post by Rishav »

yep... i'd read that. nice article. It is witten by one cricket writer-ooohhh forgetting his name!
IndiaFan1

What's The Word On Lee?

Post by IndiaFan1 »

Has any one heard further about Leander? Is he staying out of sight of the public and resting? Perhaps watching the US Open on TV?

Could some one in the know update us?

Thanks.

IndiaFan #1
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Leander returning to India, says The Times of India

Post by BSharma »

According to an article in The Times of India Leander will return to Mumbai on September 21, 2003. An MRI scan will be done shortly and if his cyst has reduced in size then he will return to Mumbai. He will be under the care of Dr. B S Singhal who has coordinated his case with the physicians in Orlando.

I am sure that Leander will receive very good care in Mumbai for his illness. The physicians in India are just as knowledgeable if not more than the physicians in USA or elsewhere about this illness. Most of the medical research about neurocysticercosis has come from India.

The articles also states, "Leander is expected to recover fast enough to play in the Masters Doubles Championship in Houston by season-end."
gvhvhg

Post by gvhvhg »

"Leander is expected to recover fast enough to play in the Masters Doubles Championship in Houston
i doubt that..... i think AO is a more realistic goal
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Knowing Leander, he will be back on the court the moment he is able, and most probably well in advance of the Aussie Open. Is the Indian Express coming together for 2004? We all certainly are fervently praying that turns out to be true.
gvhvhg

Post by gvhvhg »

Is the Indian Express coming together for 2004? We all certainly are fervently praying that turns out to be true.
As great as that would be, i think that there are more important things regarding leander to be praying about.
nkoth

Post by nkoth »

Ouch, low blow gvhvhg! PKB, I know what you meant at least :)

We can all pray for more than one thing!

-neil
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

I have faith that Leander will recover completely - the prayers of millions of his fans will be answered.

As one gets older and have to face a tremendous jolt in your life, one starts looking at old events in a fresh light. Our priorities sometimes change and we are more likely to forgive and to forget.

I believe that PKBasu (like many of us) would want the Indian Express to get together once again. Old wounds take time to heal and they need to be nursed properly. Leander has time right now to relook at his priorities and his goals. Mahesh appears to have made a right move when he visited Leander in Orlando just before the US Open and apparently it made an impression on Leander. Mahesh and Leander will have to do some more "bridge building" before Indian Express "2004 version" can take place. The Indian tennis fans are waiting eagerly for it to occur.

The time to build a bridge by Leander and Mahesh is now. If Leander can recover completely from neurocysticercosis (just my prediction) I think that his "old wounds" can heal completely also if they are nursed properly. Jay has written in the past that it will be impossible for the Indian Express to get together for any sustained length of time but circumstances have changed since then.

Finally I fully agree with Neil when he said, "We can all pray for more than one thing!" Could it be "bridge building" also, Neil?
nkoth

Post by nkoth »

LOL -- something like that BBS :)

-neil
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Yes, the outlook of both Lee and Hesh must have changed with the recent events. It did jolt both of them. After all they are both good human beings.

I always felt that they might somehow end up playing together before retirement (walking into the sunset), though I didn't expect it for at least another 2 more years before they played together again. That time frame may have moved closer, I am guessing. Let us see what happens. First thing is to see LP back out there again..

Jay
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

I read at one place that Jay had written that the news about Leander's trip to India in September is false.

But here is The Times of India stating once again, "Paes may be back on court soon."

It quotes Dr. Vece Paes as saying that the MRI sof the brain howed the shrinkage of the cyst, and that Leander is swimming and playing golf these days. Dr. Paes is again quoted as saying that Leander may be ready to play in the World Doubles Championship in November.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cms. ... sid=193107

Here is another newspaper article with a slightly different version.

http://www.thestatesman.net/page.news.p ... 1&id=23420
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Well, Leander finally got to Mumbai today. According to news reports (rediff has one), he said he "hoped to be back in 2 to 3 weeks on court".

I think if all goes well and he feels fine after starting to hit the ball again, he might decide to go ahead and play at the Houston WDC which is about 4 weeks from now. That would be fantastic!

He also said that he was "grateful to Mahesh for being there during the tough time"...

Jay
kathiresan_v

Post by kathiresan_v »

it's nice to hear that....

Kathir
kathiresan_v

Post by kathiresan_v »

Todays reports (rediff.com) confirmed that LP-Rikl qualified for world doubles campionship in houston, Nov 8-16.... will LP be able to fully recover and take on the court by then?!!

"My destiny is in the hands of my doctors, and I'll have my final MRI later this month to determine if I am able to play in Houston," quoted as LP said.

Kathir