LP and Singles

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

Kumar
Authors
Authors

LP and Singles

Post by Kumar »

Any word on whether LP is planning a comeback in singles? or He has decided to drop singles altogether except for Davis Cup and Chennai Open (where he should always get the WC!!!!)
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

LP and Singles

Post by jayakris »

Yes, he has retired from professional event singles - though there was never a singles announcement on this. He has said that this is the situation. Only Davis Cup and Chennai if he is asked to play there (also Olympics on some sort of wildcard if we nobody else proves better by next summer, I guess!). I think he decided that his body has taken enough beating over the years and with his style of singles play, he cannot really handle it anymore on a week-to-week basis. He is ready to put his everything into singles for a week of practice and 2 singles matches for each Davis Cup tie ..

By the way, I think he is in his best physical shape in a long time and with a couple of weeks of practice he is probably capable of surely beating most people below top-75 (some even above) even now in Davis Cup!

You will find more discussion in the LP thread here .. I will leave this thread here for a couple of days and will soon merge this one into that thread.

Jay
nkoth
Please enter the middle number: 1

LP and Singles

Post by nkoth »

Jay and Dhruv,

Perhaps we need a message board FAQ? ;)

-neil
Kumar
Authors
Authors

LP and Singles

Post by Kumar »

Neil, that's a great idea, FAQ for the forum. I like to ask lot of questions.

Jay, thanx. You are doing a great job at this site. I have been a regular visitor to this site. Though never got around to forum, previously.

I was hoping LP would give one last shot at singles. I have been following his career starting on that day, when he played his first Davis Cup match against japan (a marathon Five Setter with Zeeshan Ali?) or was it his Wimbledon triumph (I am not sure which came first). I have always enjoyed his game (though, sometimes his inconsistency can be maddening) and can never get enough of it.

GO LP

Kumar
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

LP and Singles

Post by PKBasu »

Kumar, you are not alone. Leander is now at his sharpest (with a faster serve than he has ever had before), is winning (two doubles titles this year with Rikl, plus one with Zimonjic and two Mixed Doubles Slam titles) and would be a serious threat to any singles player ranked in the 50-100 range. If you go to the Leander thread, you'll find many of us imploring him to play singles at least for a few tournaments...to no avail.
Now that we have a tough Davis Cup encounter coming, I wish LP would play a couple of qualifiers on the tour just to tune up. I bet that -- were he to do it -- he would comfortably qualify in and win a few rounds. Let's do Schenectady Leander!