Prakash Amritraj thread...

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Prakash Amritraj thread... (at Newport ATP qualies)

Post by jayakris »

I am just soooo excited I wanted to post one more .. Go KASH !!!!!

:notworthy: :notworthy: :D :D :D 8-) 8-) 8-) woohoo woohoo :bounce: :bounce:

Jay
amr090
Authors
Authors
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by amr090 »

im not trying to look ahead but it looks like pa now has a legit shot at semis against hewitt...carlsen is ranked 76 is just 9-16 this yr in singles play... a semi final appearance here would be unbelievable...
amr090
Authors
Authors

Post by amr090 »

oops i apologize i meant quarter finals...
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Go PA ... The fact that Safin appeared to have tanked this match may take some lustre of this victory, but still Win against former GS winner is always sweet
nkoth

Post by nkoth »

INCREDIBLE stuff from Prakash -- CONGRATULATIONS!!! :notworthy: :eek: :notworthy:

And hey, we here in the forum called this one! I definitely agree that PA can take out Carlsen as well... Hewitt might be a different story :)

Woohoo!
-neil
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Casrlsen has only three wins since early february in San Jose (QF there). Those were against #220 Parmar, #269 Allegro and #332 T.Blake. He has basically only losses to show all over. He even lost to Sergio Roitman whom Prakash beat last week.

I will be up there rooting PA on to a QF (which should give him 40 pts, enough to make it directly into the USO qualies!). Yeah, let us call this upset.

Jay
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Yuck. There is a conspiracy to keep me away from seeing Prakash play, I think. I just saw the schedule - and he is up at 11 am wednesday against Carlsen. I have a 11 to 12 engagement I simply cannot get away from at work (the top brass from California Dept of Transportation who funds my academic research comes in to hear a presentation from me - it would look slightly odd if I skip out for the sake of a tennis match! Damn, if only they knew where my priorities are :) ).. Looks like I will miss the doubles match too later in the afternoon.

pjoseph: Help, buddy! -- we need you out there to get us a match report! .. Hope you can go!

By the way, there is start-to-finish daytime coverage of LA ATP center court matches on the new Tennis Channel on cable in the US ... Those who watch it on TV would hopefully post a match report here? Thanks.

Jay
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

At home in Los Angeles and India, Prakash is becoming unstoppable. It is achievement enough to break Marat Safin (who blew Sampras off the court with his serving at the US Open final just a couple of years ago). To take a sufficient lead in the first set to destroy his motivation to persist in the match is even better. WOW! What a splendid, spectacular achievement.
We now have three players fighting tooth and nail for a second singles spot on the Davis Cup team. If Prakash does beat Carlsen (as well he might, given that this is where he made the Doubles semifinal last year), he virtually walks into the Davis Cup team. And perhaps even motivates Leander to come out and play a couple of singles qualifiers and see how it goes. Delicious! Verkerk, Schalken, et al better watch out...the Indians are coming!
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Prakash is certainly the only Indian since Leander's golden run in 1997 to make the second round in two consecutive weeks on the tour. Actually, two consecutive second-round weeks on the full ATP tour were extremely rare in Leander's singles career! Not since Ramesh's time has this been a regular occurrence for an Indian tennis player. Prakash is the real thing folks!

Vijay made a strategic decision to have his son skip the Challenger stage after his marvellous run in the Indian Satellites. It was a calculated risk that is paying off in ample measure...Huge congratulations are due to Prakash and to Vijay.
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

Ok, before everyone gets too exicited here and it already looks like it is too late. Reality check.

1.Safin withdrew because he was injured He was injured in the doubles too (the day before) and almost withdrew in that too and Safin even though he tanks matches sometimes, he still continues to play and I remember he recently lost 60 to some US player as he couldn't even properly hold his racket and serve so I doubt he would have given up just because of a minor injury. He tanks yes but he completes the match he tanks.(despite what Jay says :) ) So it is actually 15 points for free for Prakash.
2. Prakash hasn't really beaten people of any note with any sort of consistency.
3. He is ranked #46 yes 46 at the US college level and he had 1 record of 17-8-2 in the season that finished in late May this year (2 months ago) and he didn't perform spectacularly well. Ofcourse in this circuit WC and luck don't count as much as actual hard work and performance so that might have something to do with it :devil:.
4. The top 5 ranked players at the US college players are ranked the following in the ATP #1 College=589ATP, #2 College=511ATP, #3 College=860 ATP, #4 College = 659ATP and #5 College = 651ATP
5. So basically unless he has improved by leaps and bounds within 7 weeks he is at their level or lower.
6. He has 36 points from what to be brutally honest was a really poor field in the Indian satellites. You only have to look at the performance of those players abroad to see how they stack up.
7. He has another 20 points now blind luck and great planning (last week and this week) and also a bunch of other Vijay points which Jay calculated for us once.

So basically, yes I am very happy for him but I still don't think he deserves the #1 Indian singles player monicker. Just like LP is recognised as India's #1 in singles even though he is unranked, either Rohan or Harsh are India's #2 and #3 followed by PA at #4. Do not forget Harsh was ranked #1 at the same US college circuit where WCs and luck do not matter and only performance does and where PA is ranked #42. This post is not to take shots at PA but just to caution everyone of what the reality may be and not to get too exicited just because he is getting what I consider freebies and a lot of luck.

I'm sorry if I'm raining of someones parade but that is IMHO what I see the reality to be.
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

PS: Just read on another message board that Safin said it might be all over for him this season and he'll try again next season.

So it was nice that people thought that Prakash forced him to withdraw but I think it was wishful thinking.

"I got injured and I felt a lot of pain. I could not hit a backhand and I decided to stop," said Safin, who said he didn't know when asked about a return to the tour.

"It's all open," he said. "It depends on the doctor. I have to find a solution. Anyway, it's the end of the season so I need to find out and be prepared for next season."
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Cool off Dhruv. Your tirade is a tad misplaced. Prakash is in almost a dead-heat with Rohan and Hursh for the #2 Davis Cup slot. He didn't play college tennis very seriously this year, and had a poor record. But perhaps he was using that to experiment...
What is undeniable is that he won a first round match last week against a good opponent (albeit a clay-courter), and held his own in one set against Safin. If the latter was injured beforehand, he wouldn't have come onto the court. He played -- possibly with an injury that got aggravated in the match -- and couldn't last to the end of one set with Prakash.
The world isn't a fair place, for god's sake. If it was, George Dubya wouldn't be the most powerful man in the world, and Churchill (who never quite finished school, was at the bottom of his class in Sandhurst for everything other than math) would never have been PM. Parentage counts in virtually every field, and I hail Vijay for using it to his son's advantage. Fred Stolle, Ramanathan Krishnan, Phil Dent and Vijay Amritraj are the only pros who have made successful pros of their sons (although I note that Ramanathan wasn't quite a pro). If Prakash is able to use his father's help consistently and constructively, we should be delighted instead of being curmudgeons. Denigrating his performance at the Satellites (where he emerged head and shoulders above the field, although there were many players ranked just below him and one ranked higher before the circuit started) is really nit-picking!
Last edited by PKBasu on Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

The doubles could be interesting, given that Rick Leach is deputy coach (I think) at Prakash's university! Dick Leach (Rick's father!!) has been long-time coach at USC but may just have retired...at any rate, I guess Prakash and Rick probably know a lot about each other.