Prakash Amritraj thread...

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Prakash Amritraj thread... (at Newport ATP qualies)

Post by PKBasu »

The Amritraj cousins have a lot of points to defend at the LA Mercedes Cup, but I love the singles match-up. Given Safin's rustiness, PA shouldn't be overawed and just play his game -- and then, who knows?
nkoth

Post by nkoth »

Couldn't agree more -- Safin is prime for an early knock-out!

Go Prash!
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Though, I am happy to be rooting for an Indian in the ATP tour event, I am not sure this is good for PA.

Everytime he gets a WC, he seems to be running into top players (at newport, the guy who eventually won the tournament and now safin). I would prefer him playing more singles matches everyweek instead of just one or two (Do any of you guys see PA going beyond R1 in this tournament). I guess vijay knows what he is doing.

Anyway, I hope PA makes me eat my words and beat the hell out of Safin.

on another matter, I saw all this messages about how well Vijay is managing his son's path and how LP would have benefitted from this. Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought LP was at BAT Academy (Vijay's academy in chennai), Did he have some kind of fall out with Vijay, when he started playing ATP tournaments?

Kumar
amr090
Authors
Authors

Post by amr090 »

i hope pa wins but this is kind of unfair to our other players...pa gets wildcard after wildcard, but bopanna and harsh struggle through? but i guess life isn't played on a fair field. a win against safin would be miraculous but let's see what happens...
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

At the LA Mercedes Cup,

(1)Rick Leach/Brian MacPhie (USA) vs (WC)Prakash Amritraj/Stephen Amritraj (IND/USA)

So, not a good draw in doubles either ....

Jay
gvhvhg

Post by gvhvhg »

Well he isnt ONLy getting WCs, he qualifyed in Indianopolis! That#s the little i have to defend PA with.

Well PA has now overtaken Harsh for India's NO.2.

RB 321
Pa 351
HM 364
Rishav

best of luck!

Post by Rishav »

marat safin is in for a early loss! pa wins! :tomato:
amr090
Authors
Authors

Post by amr090 »

well, regardless of how is ranking got up there 3 indians in the 300 is definitely nice...lets hope we can see them crack the 100 together
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

In response to the earlier post that queried Leander's experiences with BAT. LP was indeed a BAT (Britannia-Amritraj Tennis academy) trainee when he made the final of the Australian Open juniors despite being unseeded, and then went on to win the Wimbledon junior singles later the same year. At that point, Leander had more than a full year of junior eligibility left.

Inexplicably, Leander was virtually absent from both the pro circuit and the junior circuit for the next 15 months. Vijay or Anand certainly got him no wildcards into tour events, as far as I know...Then, having wasted 15 months, Leander reappeared at the next year's US Open juniors and won the singles there too! The talent was there, the shepherding entirely absent. (By contrast, Ramesh Krishnan was ranked 99 twelve months after winning junior Wimbledon -- which meant that he never had to play qualifiers at Roehampton once he was 19 -- and Ivan Lendl made the French final the year after winning junior Wimbie). In my view, BAT helped make Leander a world-class junior player, then completely messed up his transition to the pro circuit.
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

By the looks of things it seems someone most likely Safin withdrew due to injury from the match. I say Safin as he was being bothered by an injury yesterday and he is just coming back from one, so Prakash probably progresses to R2. Bad luck for for Safin but the run of good fortune seems to be continuing for PA.

If that is the case a phrase to do with a horseshoe and a body part come in mind for Prakash. But I guess they also say fortune favours the brave. I guess you can choose anyone. I guess we will wait till Jay returns from a match report though it wasn't really a match by the looks of things. So what is it 15 points unofficially for Prakash.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Yes. Safin withdrew when PA was up at 5-3 (wrist injury).

Is Prakash on an unbelievable run or what??

Well .. I was running a little late at work. The previous two matches finished in less than three hours (I thought the match wouldn't start before at least 2.45 pm but it got started at 2.20 - was starting when I left for UCLA from home). Found out midway to LA that the match was over -- came right back. I guess I will drive up thursday night that way now for the R2 ..

Add 15 more points to his kitty! .. Now he gets Kenneth Carlsen in the next round. I think he will beat Carlsen!

Jay
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

He won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :notworthy: A victory is a victory. So good to see an Indian getting through some rounds in an ATP event!!! GO PA!!! Next up is Kenneth Carlsen. Giant of a man with a bigish serve but I think PA has a good chance. Imagine that if u will - an Indian in the 3rd round of a singles in a top tournament!!!!!!
Peter

Post by Peter »

The last score i saw was 2-2 (~2:30 pm, PDT). Afterwards the scoreboard just rolled over to the next match.

Tournament link. An amateur web site at best. Pathetic for an ATP tour event. Maybe the webmaster is over at Sunset Boulevard, gawking at the stars :mrgreen:

i happened to get free tickets for tomorrow's day session and might show up (with my 16-month old son). OTOH, he might want to play :)

As they say, fortune favors the brave. Wildcards or not, you are READY, PA :bounce:
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Actually pj, the LA website has been in this form for a couple of years, and I like the website. You know, I like information much more than all the jazz. These guys promptly posted the draws (including qualifying etc right on friday night or early saturday). Most ATP websites don't do that. The online scoreboard seems to be the new thing (that too looks amatuerish, but seems to be doing the job quite well, compared to those java thingies which show even point scores but does not update for minutes on end anyway!) .. The results are manually updated around 30 minutes afterwards which is also better than most other sites. Yeah, I like it. They were a bit confused about what happened in the PA match, I suppose...

Looks like we will be driving that way on thursday. I will catch you there.

But, hell yeah, PA is ready, luck or wildcard or not :)

Jay
Last edited by jayakris on Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

And oh, by the way ...

Unless RB has won his first round at Denver by now, we have a new Indian #1 and that is Prakash Amritraj .. 96 pts, one ahead of RB !!! It looks almost unbelievable how everything is panning out for the guy.

Heck, Indian tennis fans were due for some good news in singles for a long long long time.

Jay