Junior Circuits Abroad for Indian Kids...

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Junior Circuits Abroad for Indian Kids...

Post by jayakris »

Yet another three set loss by Yuvan against a top player :( ... He lost 36 63 36 to Yi Zhou (CHN,7).

It is a J1 (which is J300 now) next week at Nonthaburi. Aryan Shah also joins the Indian group next week. Aryan, Yuvan, Aditya are in the main draw, with Daksh, Hitesh and Cahir as 1st, 2nd and 4th in the qualifying list as of now. Shruti in the list for the main draw on the girls side and Tejaswi Dabas in the qualifying list. Not sure why Sohini who made it in as lucky loser this week is not in the list (update: Sohini will be at the in the Vietnam J60 next week).
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Shruti withdrew from the J300 at Nonthburi this week (after the retirement in the first match last week) :(

Daksh and Hitesh made it in as the last couple of players in the main draw. Cahir was the top seed in the qualies with a bye. He won the Q2 but was upset by a Japanese player in Q3. 15 year old Tejasvi Dabas was in the girl's qualies but retired after one set in the Q1. So no Indian on the girls's side.

In the first round, 15 year old #234 Hitesh Chauhan had a good R1 win over Dmitry Bessanov (RUS,285) 62 76(6), but #196 Aditya Govila lost to Satou Nakajima (JPN,171) 36 36, and #231 Daksh Prasad lost 26 26 to Jeremy Zhang (AUS,121). In the round of 32, Hitesh joins Aryan Shah and Yuvan Nandal who are the 6th and 7th seeds with R1 byes.
gbelday
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by gbelday »

Ah damn. Aditya beat the same Japanese guy in Kolkata J200 (in Jan) in a 3rd set (was about to lose second set). A bunch of us were watching that match and cheering him on. Crowd support helps!!
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

jayakris wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:50 am In the round of 32, Hitesh joins Aryan Shah and Yuvan Nandal who are the 6th and 7th seeds with R1 byes.
All 3 of them lost in round of 32. Aryan retired while trailing 06 03 against his Australian opponent ( maybe some injury), Yuvan got upset 57 46 against Czech qualifier and Hitesh lost 16 36 against a strong 5th seeded American who has gone to upset top seeded Chinese in the QF and has reached the SF.

All of these boys are in entry list of J300 in Malaysia next week ( Aryan,Yuvan, Aditya,Dakksh,Hitesh and Cahir). None of our girls are in the entry list.
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

sameerph wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:33 pm
jayakris wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:50 am In the round of 32, Hitesh joins Aryan Shah and Yuvan Nandal who are the 6th and 7th seeds with R1 byes.
All 3 of them lost in round of 32. Aryan retired while trailing 06 03 against his Australian opponent ( maybe some injury), Yuvan got upset 57 46 against Czech qualifier and Hitesh lost 16 36 against a strong 5th seeded American who has gone to upset top seeded Chinese in the QF and has reached the SF.

All of these boys are in entry list of J300 in Malaysia next week ( Aryan,Yuvan, Aditya,Dakksh,Hitesh and Cahir). None of our girls are in the entry list.
Hope our boys do well in Malaysia . Lots of points at stake. Something interesting about Alex Frusina and his family. His dad organizes practices in their home (couple of courts in their backyard) in Houston and Rohan stayed with them a few times. Their whole family loves Indian food and the dad cooks such good Indian food. Not your usual chicken curry etc but idly and dosas too :) They are of Romanian background and his brother played professional soccer for a European club.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I was really sad this week, and didn't have the spirit to even report on the Nonthaburi JJ300. First of all, 6th seed Aryan retired at 06 03 in his first match, showing that something was horribly wrong. He hasn't won anything in months. Then 7th seed Yuvan, who looked so good against top-10 players earlier managed to go and lose to somebody in the first match itself. Already Shruti, who would have been the 7th or 8th seed on the girls' side, had withdrawn (and she has withdrawn from net week's Malaysian J300 too). So, basically, a horrible week. Just when we think we may have some juniors who could improve and be our saviors, we see that this is yet again like what happened to all our juniors for the last 10 years or so. Nobody getting anywhere.

Meanwhile, I have no idea what the heck they are doing with Manas Dhamne in Europe. They don't get him to play any events. I don't trust the Europeans to help our kids. Hope I am wrong. If he is on some sort of serious physical training program or something, that would be great, but we don't know...
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

We may be producing nobody good in India but Indians are just taking over USTA's junior lists. I was just looking at the entry list for the San Diego J300 in two weeks. Out of 102 guys in the main draw and qualifying lists, about 74 are Americans and out of those 16 are Indian-American names (Rohan included in the top-3 of that group). about 1/5th of the names. That is incredible for a community that is not even 1 percent of the population. I see a lot of Indian names in Australia too. We are bound to find some Indian names in the ATP top-100 in the coming years, even if they won't be from India.

EDIT/Correction: I think I was mistaken. I believe Krisha also has been in the US since a very young age. I don't know why I thought otherwise; I can't find any info of her being in India. Not sure why she is listed under India. Again, probably not born in the US, so maybe just waiting to get the US passport at some point, I suppose.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

jayakris wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:46 am
Meanwhile, I have no idea what the heck they are doing with Manas Dhamne in Europe. They don't get him to play any events. I don't trust the Europeans to help our kids. Hope I am wrong. If he is on some sort of serious physical training program or something, that would be great, but we don't know...
He posted on his twitter account videos of his training with Matteo Berrettini few days back.

https://twitter.com/DhamneManas

But, I agree just practice and practice is no good even if it against top players such as Berretini. Manas needs to play competitive matches soon.

And it looks like he is starting next week ( or this weekend ) as he entered in Tunisia M15 next week. Interesting that they are playing him there instead of coming down to India for futures series where he would have probably got a wild card to the main draw. Probably they want him to stay close to his training base.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^^ That is fine for the time being. Just play some competitive matches!
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Practicing with top players is probably a confidence builder. If he can watch Berretini's pre and post game habits, his intensity, dedication etc., that is useful too.

Looks like Manas is about 5-6" shorter than Berretini in the photos (although the angles can distort the height difference). That puts him at around 5'11" or 6 ft. Hope he grows at least another 2-3 inches...
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

arjun2761 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:55 pm Looks like Manas is about 5-6" shorter than Berretini in the photos (although the angles can distort the height difference). That puts him at around 5'11" or 6 ft. Hope he grows at least another 2-3 inches...
Manas is 6 ft 2 in as per his ATP profile.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Hope he get's there as I think that must be his aspirational height. :D

In the photo of him shaking hands with Mmoh at Pune, he looks significantly shorter than Mmoh who is also listed at 6'2".
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

sameerph wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:35 pm And it looks like he is starting next week ( or this weekend ) as he entered in Tunisia M15 next week. Interesting that they are playing him there instead of coming down to India for futures series where he would have probably got a wild card to the main draw. Probably they want him to stay close to his training base.
Manas is in the qualifying draw for the Monastir M15 in Tunisia. Playing a wildcard tomorrow. Let us see where he stands after another good period of practice in the academy.
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

jayakris wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:45 pm Manas is in the qualifying draw for the Monastir M15 in Tunisia. Playing a wildcard tomorrow. Let us see where he stands after another good period of practice in the academy.
This Wildcard is 2 yrs older, Jr World No. 55, has reached JA R3 in Cairo couple of weeks back and reached R2 at the Australian Open R2 in Juniors. So could be a close match with result going either way.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Looks like a good test for Manas against middling junior talent. So far he has lost against the top juniors this year. Last year he won the Asia closed championships but didn’t do much in the other tournaments.