Moderator: Moderators

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Rajeev Ram thread...

Post by sameerph »

Great run by Rajeev. He is now back in top 100, ranked 86 in the latest ATP rankings. I am not sure why he missed most of the grass season including Wimbledon qualifying. He is so good on the surface.
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

Congrats to Rajeev Ram for winning his second Newport title. Vijay Amritraj, of course, has 3 singles titles there, and Leander 1. Grass court heaven!!
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Peter wrote:And Rajeev WINS Newport for the second time. First time was back in 2009. What an awesome achievement this is!

For some perspective, Leander won Newport (beating Pete Sampras, iirc) for his only ATP singles title. Somdev has got to two finals (Chennai, 2009 & Johannesburg, 2011).
Leander did beat Sampras, but not at Newport. He beat Sampras at the Pilot Pen championships nearby (New Haven) in 1998.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Nice little video from the ATP on Rajeev's victory. Even the service break against him in the second set was just bad luck -- off a line chord when Rajeev was at the net and would have had the ball easily covered had it not hit the net chord. He really outplayed Karlovic in the final tiebreaker -- which is really saying something about his returning ability on grass.

It's pretty amazing that Rajeev is already 31 -- and Karlovic is 36! There won't be another chance for Big Ivo to play the Newport final I think. Big chance for Rajeev to get his ranking to the best possible level -- and to do that by playing a full 3 weeks on grass before Wimbledon next year.
Saniapower

Post by Saniapower »

Mostly he plays on the challenger circuit but now he has 2 ATP singles titles in his kitty besides numerous dbls trophies. WOW. Hopefully he will do better this year in the upcoming hard court season compared to last year. Really feel proud of him.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Fantastic and gritty effort by Rajeev to win his second ATP title!

He now has most of his points until February/March of 2016, so he has a real opportunity in the next 5-6 months to go past his previous career high in the 70s.
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

Great win over ryan harrison in round 1 of the us open 2015. 7-6, 6-4, 6-1.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Good job by Rajeev Ram, who is continuing a nice vein of form since Newport. Tough R2 coming up against Viktor Troicki (seeded 22).
He has 16 points falling off from making Q3 of last year's US Open, but I think he will have 45 (ie, +29) for making R2 this year -- and this should take his ranking to 86 (from 88 currently), but still short of his career-high of 78 (which he will surely surpass within the next 10 months). Beating Troicki will get him to #79!
Saniapower

Post by Saniapower »

Good win over Ryan Harrison.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Perhaps the best win of his pro career: Rajeev beat 11th seeded Kevin Anderson at the AO, and his reward is an R2 match against 35-year-old qualifier Stephane Robert (FRA, 225). That will give him the chance to finally make R3 of a Slam for the first time in his career! At 31, it is now (this year) or never for Rajeev! As good a year as any to achieve new heights!
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

I am obviously clutching at straws here looking for success at the top level of professional tennis singles by an Indian. Nevertheless, I am super thrilled by Rajeev Ram's progress at the Delray Beach tournament. After beating Bernie "Atomic" Tomic and Benjamin Becker in earlier rounds, today he beat Grigor Dimitrov to make it to the finals!!! So happy for him. He seems like a super nice guy. And his game is bit of a classic (don't some people call him Rampras?). And it is excellent to see him keep at it in singles and be rewarded for his persistence at a prestigious tournament with a very tough draw. At age 31, no less. Wonder if it will be a Ram versus Delpo final (Delpo must beat Querrey)? Delpo is another super nice guy, and he is making a comeback after a long injury layoff. I would be hard pressed to decide who to cheer for if that final materialized.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Rajeev is 4-0 up in h2h on Dimitrov, was reading jokes like baby Sampras > baby Fed.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

Wow! I had no idea that Ram was already 3-0 h2h against Dimitrov ahead of this match. So now it's 4-0 for the good guy. Some matchups are just like that. I thought Dimitrov was struggling because he was playing someone he'd never played before. Obviously, that's not the case and Rajeev knows how to gore Grigor. I can see the headlines "Dimitrov fails to dodge Ram". :p

Delpo lost to Querrey in the semis. So it will be easy for me to cheer for Ram in tomorrow's final. Pretty good comeback run for Delpo, so I am happy for him anyway.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Great run by Rajeev, to beat two of the great young guns of the ATP tour -- Tomic and Dimitrov. I think he has a pretty decent chance against Querrey in the final, having beaten him at Newport. The head to head score, though, is 2-5.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Rajeev lost the final to Querrey 46 67(6).

He will still rise to a career-high inside the top-60. This is nice groundwork toward the possibility of a great run during the (slightly) extended grass season this year. Rajeev needs to stay healthy so he can take full advantage of that month.