Manas Dhamne thread

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Manas Dhamne thread

Post by PKBasu »

11 year old Manas Dhamne won the Eddie Herr under-12 singles title, effectively making him the world's best player in his age group. We started following Sania Mirza, Karan Rastogi and Yuki Bhambri when they were 14 (and the top-ranked singles players in their respective age groups). It isn't too early to start focusing on Manas Dhamne. Another Indian won the Orange Bowl under-12 title three decades ago, Laxmi Poruri (NRI), who beat Monica Seles to take that title, and went on to make R2 of the US Open main draw when she was 15 (but then chose to pursue a corporate career after graduating from Stanford). Manas is clearly a terrific talent, and if he stays injury free this will become one of our longest threads!

A couple of months ago, he won the national under-14 doubles title:
https://www.aitatennis.com/article/arun ... bles-title
PKBasu

Re: Manas Dhamne thread

Post by PKBasu »

Manas made the singles SF in the national under-14 tournament this year, impressive for an 11 year old, but the other semifinalists are also worth paying attention to:
https://www.fenestaopentennis.com/image ... Draw_6.pdf

The winner was 9th seeded Ayush Bhat. Manas lived up to his 3rd seeding, and made the SF.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

Too early to start a thread ? Maybe not considering his promise. I think this is the youngest age where we have started a player thread (Manas is few days shy of his 12th birthday) . We had started Yuki's thread when he was 12 and a half years old. And that thread is one of the longest ones here. Hopefully this will be even better.

Just checked and Manas is ranked #1 in AITA under 14 rankings and ranked #2 in AITA under 12 rankings mainly because he does not play the national tournaments in under 12 category at all. But, being #1 in under 14 is something which in noteworthy at his age .
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

sameerph wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:51 amToo early to start a thread ?
Hey, when has that stopped PKB from starting a thread? :) ... The eternal optimist has already counted him in as the winner of Wimbledon in 2029. But this thread looks okay, as the kid does seem to be the best we have noticed among under-14 juniors since Sania and Yuki.
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

sameerph wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:51 am Too early to start a thread ? Maybe not considering his promise. I think this is the youngest age where we have started a player thread (Manas is few days shy of his 12th birthday) . We had started Yuki's thread when he was 12 and a half years old. And that thread is one of the longest ones here. Hopefully this will be even better.

Just checked and Manas is ranked #1 in AITA under 14 rankings and ranked #2 in AITA under 12 rankings mainly because he does not play the national tournaments in under 12 category at all. But, being #1 in under 14 is something which in noteworthy at his age .
Ramesh Krishnan was also number 1 in the Under-14 in India when he was 11, so looks like Manas has started off right!

Prof
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

What happened to the rule to only create a thread if they won a futures?
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

We’ve usually made exceptions for the exceptionally promising juniors like Sania and Yuki. Winning Eddie Herr is a bigger deal than any Futures title, I would argue.
suresh

Post by suresh »

PKBasu wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:18 am We’ve usually made exceptions for the exceptionally promising juniors like Sania and Yuki. Winning Eddie Herr is a bigger deal than any Futures title, I would argue.
It is a royal "We". :D
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Not at all!! :oops: I believe I was referring to the consensus of the forum. I don’t think I started the Yuki or Sania threads for instance (but I need to check that...).

Confirmed! I didn’t start either the Sania or Yuki threads! So it isn’t a royal “we”, but a genuinely collective one! Both threads started long before they won a Futures!
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Another thread which i noticed was started early was of Sumit Nagal when he was 14 by PKB. :D But that thread was also much before he won a futures title but has now gone beyond 100 pages.

So, looks like generally the threads which have looked way too early to start have turned out to be long ones. Hope that is a good omen for Manas.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Yep. Exceptions do exist in the case of extremely talented juniors. We moderators reserve the right to remove the thread and merge the posts to the general threads, if the player is big failure later! :D
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

sameerph wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:05 pm Another thread which i noticed was started early was of Sumit Nagal when he was 14 by PKB. :D But that thread was also much before he won a futures title but has now gone beyond 100 pages.

So, looks like generally the threads which have looked way too early to start have turned out to be long ones. Hope that is a good omen for Manas.
I'll drink to that. Cheers!
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Manas made it to the semi finals of the Orange Bowl under 12 event before losing 46 57 to the top seed from Colombia. It seems Orange Bowl was on clay . So, the South American kid would have had advantage. Anyway, title at Eddie Herr and SF at Orange Bowl under 12 underline Manas as one of the best in the world in his age group.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

We need to find a way to nurture this kid and ensure his talent flowers. Mustn’t allow AITA to smother his enormous potential.
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

sameerph wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:46 am Manas made it to the semi finals of the Orange Bowl under 12 event before losing 46 57 to the top seed from Colombia. It seems Orange Bowl was on clay . So, the South American kid would have had advantage. Anyway, title at Eddie Herr and SF at Orange Bowl under 12 underline Manas as one of the best in the world in his age group.
He won the semis matchup and finished at 3rd place. Amazing run going from hards to clays. The 12s boys was on clays and 12s girls and 14s was on hards.