Mahak Jain

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Mahak Jain

Post by PKBasu »

Mahak Jain, still nearly a fortnight short of her 16th birthday, has already made two ITF Futures singles finals, and is ranked #29 among the world's under-18 girl tennis players. Definitely one of the players to look out for in the future.

Mahak was runner-up in the Asian Junior Tennis championship (Grade B1) this year (losing to Mihika Yadav in the final), and at the Sarawak Chief Ministers Cup (Grade 1, losing the final to Zeel Desai). She also won a Grade 2 in New Delhi (beating Zeel) and a Grade 3 in Chandigarh (beating Axana Mareen, BEL, 98, in the final) this year. I'm beginning to worry a bit about her tendency to lose in finals, but earlier in the year Mahak did show us that she can beat excellent players in finals too. She is an exciting emerging talent in Indian women's tennis!!
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Mahak Jain

Post by sameerph »

Thanks Mahak for stating this thread. There is no doubt that Mahak is one of the most talented women players to come out in last few years. She is part of large group of women players who have shown great talent in last couple of years- Karman, Pranjala, Zeel,Mihika and Mahak. Mahak is the youngest from this group and has the best results in juniors at this age.

Mahak also won a grade 2 title in Japan in last October beating a local player who was ranked in top 20. So, she is quite capable of winning the finals although in the last 4 tournaments where she made the final she lost to fellow Indians - twice to Zeel and once each to Mihika snd Rutuja.

Hope she does well in Wimbledon juniors next.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

sameerph wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:31 pm Thanks Mahak for stating this thread.
Thanks Mahak!
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

:D
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Oops. :roll:
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

To update this thread, Mahak became the national hard court champion at 16 when she won the title yesterday in New Delhi beating Zeel Desai in the final. The field was not the best and our top 6-7 ranked players were not there. But, still it was impressive show from Mahak beating Snehadevi Reddy , Sai Samitha Chamarthi and Zeel Desai on the way to title without dropping a set.

Mahak is showing some real promise. On the ITF juniors tour, she has won 3 titles within last 1 year ( grade 2 and grade 3 in India and a grade 2 in Japan beating a top 20 player in the final.) She also has a couple of runner up finishes in grade 1 events in Asian juniors and in Malaysia.
She also made the final in couple of ITF tournaments in Gwalior and Aurangabad where she lost in the final and now this national title.

I think here achievements in last 1 year are better than any other player at her age since Sania. Slightly better than Karman, Pranjala and Zeel, I think. One aberration was she played 3 junior slams but could only win a round. Of course, she lost there to players who are now ranked 1 , 3 and 10 in the ITF juniors rankings.

I think she should aim to play junior slams and some higher level junior tournaments next year along with some ITF tournaments.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

The next one year will be crucial for the new national women's champion. She should be aiming to become the India #1 by this time next year -- pushing past Pranjala, Karman and Ankita.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

That is a tall order PKB. She would still be only 17 next year. She might do it, but I doubt it... I wouldn't put pressure on her. And there are also players like Zeel who can make it tough for her (though Mahak handled her yesterday).
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

At everyone's current rates of development, Mahak should aim to be in the Indian top 3 by end of next year (top 350 in the WTA). Kamran should be India #1 with a top 200 ranking.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Both in WTA rankings and ITF juniors rankings, Mahak is among top 15 players in her age group ( i.e below 17 years). In their respective age groups, Karman ( below 20) and Pranjala (below 19) are somewhere at 25-30 level in WTA rankings. Zeel is somewhat lower in under 19 age group. At this stage, it indicates Mahak having higher potential.

But, lets see how it pans out for next 1 year for all 4 players, particularly for Mahak and Zeel who have not played full schedule on pro tour. So, their WTA rankings is a bit of a misnomer.
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

Article on Scroll.in
She also made it to the second round at Wimbledon where she lost 2-6 1-6 to American third seed Claire Liu, in addition to the first-round appearance at the US Open. She couldn’t make it to the French Open in May due to a lack of funds.
Its a wonderful and must read article on Mahak's journey. I have a lot to rant about the bolded part but given that this player page/topic will be atleast 200 pages long over the next 12-15 yrs, want to keep it sane for future SI members sake :rant: . Will x-post on Prasen's thread
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

With her Indore ITF SF points updated, Mahak is now ranked at a new career high of 749 and is among India top 10. I am not 100% sure but I think she is among top 10 in the under 17 age group in WTA rankings.

She has a tough first round match coming up today at Pune challenger against our own Karman Kaur Thandi.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

The initial entry list for Australian open juniors came out and Mahak has not entered there at all. Does that mean she has altogether stopped playing juniors ? I don't think that is the right strategy at such an early age for Mahak.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

sameerph wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:42 amThe initial entry list for Australian open juniors came out and Mahak has not entered there at all. Does that mean she has altogether stopped playing juniors ? I don't think that is the right strategy at such an early age for Mahak.
Damnit. Why??? The Indian "advisors" are at work again? Not playing grand slams is the worst thing she can do at this point. If playing pros is the plan, then she is just not ready for it, and she needs to play juniors at the GS and grade A level for at least 7-8 events next year for some extra 20-25 matches while playing the pro events the rest of the time. Kids need enough matches at this age to improve.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

It is just maddening to see how our talented youngsters are mishandled :damn: