Indian Origin Players Thread

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Indian Origin Players Thread

Post by prasen9 »

Dinesh wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:46 am Not sure if this sits appropriately in here but posting it since we discussed about Zane Khan before. Looks like he is in safer hands under Sebastien Grosjean.

Zane’s team
Phew! Boy, am I glad he is not in those dangerous hands anymore.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

16 year old Nishesh Basavareddy, who looked like one of the most spectacular global tennis talents a couple of years ago, then spent most of those two years out injured, has come roaring back. At a J1 event in Porto Allegro, Brazil, Nishesh beat the world junior #9 (CH 7) 61 60 in the final -- on clay!! He had a tougher QF against #31j Cooper Williams -- beating him 7-5 in the third set -- but Nishesh slowly found his form, and the losing finalist was the main sufferer!

Staying injury-free is going to be Nishesh's biggest challenge.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Wow, those are impressive results. In the first round, he also beat current #11 in straight sets, so he is playing a very solid top 10 level which is amazing considering that he is still 16 years old. Of course, staying injury free is the key as we see from our previous 16 year old junior world beater (Yuki who I believe won a junior slam when he was still 16).
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

Nishesh Basavreddy won JA title in Brazil too. Back to back J1 and JA titles on clay. This kid looks to be an incredible talent. He will enter top 25 now and will be able to play all the Junior slams this year.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Yes, he is very good indeed. He'll be inside top 25 but has only played 5 tournaments where those above him in the rankings have played at least twice that number. I think he will win a junior GS this year!
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Incredible performance! Tennis is one of the toughest sport to graduate from Juniors to seniors.

Hopefulky his injuries are behind him and he can reach great heights
Varma

Post by Varma »

Hello everyone! I am back after a long hiatus :D. I hope everyone is doing good.

Exciting news is, I went and met Nishesh Basavareddy yesterday. I must thank Vishnu for alerting me about Nishesh's schedule. Thanks a bunch, Vishnu!!!

Nishesh was playing qualies at Calabasas where Prajnesh is the top seed in the main-draw. What an exciting talent he is! Very well rounded and agile. The best thing I like about him is his killer instinct. Unfortunately he lost a tight match to another Indian origin player (from New Zealand), Kiranpal Pannu. The score was 6-4, 5-7, 6-10. He will play Easter Bowl next week.

- Varma

:Offtopic: I was away from SI for almost a couple of years, I have no idea how I did that :D. I remember around 1999-2000 timeframe during one of my trips back to India, I couldn't find a decent internet-cafe in my hometown to read/post in the forum and I totally went nuts for a few days! Feels good be back :-) .
suresh

Post by suresh »

Welcome back Varma. Those super tie-breakers are random events with the outcome being hard to predict.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

Great to see you!
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

Great to see you back Varma
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Nishesh Basavreddy won the Grade A title in Mlan, Italy last week. Nishesh has been outstanding on clay this season winning 2 Grade A and 1 grade 1 title. He will be ranked in top 5 now and will be one of the favorites for French open juniors if not the favorite.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Yes, this was a truly spectacular run by 17 year old Nishesh Basavareddy at the Junior A tournament in Milan. He beat the junior world #2 (Daniel Vallejo of Paraguay) in the final, the #5 (Gonzalo Bueno of Peru) in the QF and thrashed the junior #10 (Bor Artnak) 60 63 in the third round.

Nishesh also won the JA tournament in Criciuma (Brazil) in February, beating Artnak 61 64 in the final. The previous week, he won the J1 tournament in Porto Allegro (Brazil), beating Bueno 60 61 in the final :-) (this week, Bueno won the first set in a TB, but Nishesh came back strong 63 61 in the next 2 sets). These were both on clay, just as the Milan tournament was.

The one marginal blemish on Nishesh's recent record was a loss in the final at Indian Wells (a JB1 tournament, but on hard courts). He really must be a hot favourite to win at Roland Garros, but let's not put too much pressure on him :D
Varma

Post by Varma »

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Sports-india's own 16 year old Rohan Belday had a wildcard to the M15 at Ithaca,NY, USA today... He went down to a 19 year old Indian-American Aman Sharma (USA,1566), 36 06... Don't feel too bad; just your first match in the pros (I think). Better results in the future, Rohan!

Rohan is now #327 in the junior ranking, and I think he probably would have made the Indian u16 junior Davis Cup world-16 team, if he were an Indian citizen!
prashanthm

Post by prashanthm »

Wow! Nice!

I hope this is just the beginning for Rohan and he scales great heights from here... :goodluck: