Indian Origin Players Thread

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

Kumar
Authors
Authors

Re: Indian Origin Players Thread

Post by Kumar »

PKBasu wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:40 pm 15-year-old Nishesh Basavareddy (USA, 235J) is being hailed as the next big thing in tennis. We'd discovered him here a while back, but it'll be interesting to follow his progress -- as well as the other long list of NRI kids.
He may be an exciting find, but a meniscus tear and stress fracture at age 13/14 is a little concerning! I hope he has a good fitness team, that Keeps him in good health and fitness! My big concern with lot of Indian kids is that they don’t cross train! They play one sport with very few venturing out for other sports! I have seen coaches pushing parents to focus exclusively on tennis even at age 8 and 9! We need our kids to play other complimentary sports at least till they turn 13 or 14! This may also prevent the burnout!

The flip side to this approach is that our kids may not do as well as one sport kid, if they are talented /athletic enough, they maybe able to catch up and surpass eventually when they focus on the one sport!
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

Good and interesting point, Kumar. (Good to have you back here regularly too!).
Leander was a multi-sport kid, while most of the other Indian pros were single-sport (tennis) players. What the other pros felt about Leander was that he was super-athletic, but his tennis strokes were under-developed. That is the slight trade-off. But the importance of cross-training cannot be emphasized enough.
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

PKBasu wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:32 pm Good and interesting point, Kumar. (Good to have you back here regularly too!).
Leander was a multi-sport kid, while most of the other Indian pros were single-sport (tennis) players. What the other pros felt about Leander was that he was super-athletic, but his tennis strokes were under-developed. That is the slight trade-off. But the importance of cross-training cannot be emphasized enough.
I agree with Kumar in general and there's a lot of studies that show that playing multiple sports until a certain age is good. But by 12, they also advise that they should switch to their primary sport full time if they are really good at it and passionate. Sinner is a great example. Tennis is such a technical sport that you need the time to work on things repetitively for a long time.

Of course you can incorporate a lot of the movements that other complementary sports offer into their fitness routines. The junior groups that I have observed at training also play soccer, basketball, do track work, dodge ball etc as part of their fitness training. This is in addition to the tennis specific fitness training such as strength, mobility, agility, footwork etc. After they turn 13/14 (especially high school age), there's no time between school work (home school included), travel, tournaments etc. to play other sports in an organized fashion. But I agree, until they are 11 or 12, they should play as many sports as possible.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

Australian Indian origin player Astra Sharma won her first WTA title when she won the Charlsten WTA 250 tiltle in USA on green clay beating #1 seed 27th-ranked Tunisian Jabeur in the final.

Report on WTA site-

Sharma overcomes Jabeur in Charleston to claim first WTA singles title
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Terrific performance by Astra Sharma.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Wonder which astra she used- bramhastra, narayanastra or rudrastra
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

Astra Sharma with her parents Susan Tan (left) and Devdutt Sharma (right)
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

PKBasu wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:40 pm 15-year-old Nishesh Basavareddy (USA, 235J) is being hailed as the next big thing in tennis. We'd discovered him here a while back, but it'll be interesting to follow his progress -- as well as the other long list of NRI kids.
My son is in the same tennis recruiting national list as Nishesh but no where as close to the top. :mrgreen:
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

Not sure if this sits appropriately in here but posting it since we discussed about Zane Khan before. Looks like he is in safer hands under Sebastien Grosjean.

Zane’s team
usaindia

Caleb Chakravarthi

Post by usaindia »

PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Nice opportunity for SMU's Caleb Chakravarthi to play the ATP Dallas Open. However, he is likely to be very over-matched, as he remains unranked on the ATP computer at the moment. He has failed to qualify for 3 Futures he played this year (losing in Q1 in 2, making Q3 in the other) and the single Challenger he played (where he lost in Q1).
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

Young Omni Kumar won another Futures title last weekend and he is our own Jay`s neighbour :bounce: . Omni Kumar lives and trains with his dad in Irvine.

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^^ I don't know much about Omni though. The prep school he went to (Pacific Academy) is very near where I live. I guess he is in the Duke Univ roster now. Will keep an eye. The dad (Puneet Kumar) is Indian, but I can't say from the mom's name (Kim) if she is Indian...
usaindia

Post by usaindia »

looks like mom is from other country
https://goduke.com/sports/mens-tennis/r ... umar/15759
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Likely Korean mom. Another Raducanu in making?