Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Indian Origin Players Thread

Post by jayakris »

VReddy wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:13 pmOn a different off-topic note, you all should see this: http://sporting-derendingen.ch/wp/wp-co ... mm2017.pdf [Page 33; year 1993, 1994]. This event is not really nationals but pretty close it and so as you can see, similar to India, outside of the top-3 players, everybody else plays it. Came across it as I was planning to go Srinivasan & his wife's academy this weekend if i could find a playing partner to play there and hopefully bump into him [which is the motive! :) ]. Academy: http://www.tennisclub-zofingen.ch/heidi-und-vasu-
I didn't know that he was actively coaching in Switzerland, and only vaguely knew that he was somewhere abroad. Yes, S.Vasudevan was a pretty good player. In fact, the other day, when I said it must have been some 30 years since two top-150 Indians faced each other, like Yuki and RamK, I was indeed wondering if Zeeshan Ali and S. Vasudevan could have played each other, or against Ramesh Krishnan somewhere in the 86-88 period, as I thought S. Vasudevan was in the top-200. As it turns out, he was there only briefly, though he got up to #166 in 1988. Zeeshan was in the top-150 though, again rather briefly for a year, getting up to #126 once.
Prashant
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Prashant »

jayakris wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:53 pmAnd I can't say that at no point will I ever be rooting for USA against India in a Davis Cup or in a football match. It can happen, and I once thought it would happen by now too. But after 32 of my 54 years of life in the U.S., it has still not happened.
I am exactly 10 years behind you on both counts (22 of my 44 years here). I too retain my Indian passport. But my emotions have been different - for the longest time I thought my sports allegiances would never change. In the last 3-4 years, I think they slowly & subtly have. Since we rarely compete directly with the US, I haven't put it to the test, but I can say that I feel for the US soccer team (no World Cup jokes please) as strongly as I feel about Indian teams in team sports. One big factor is having a kid who is as much of a sports fan as I am, except of course his allegiances are 100% US. I am seriously considering a citizenship change now.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

I don't see anything wrong is allowing those who qualify to play for India to play if it increases the standard of our performance. If the international rules don't require passports but just eligibility to receive one, then so be it. I think the US and most developed countries follow this model.

That said, we should only do so if it helps the Indian teams. Therefore, have a higher standard for overseas Indians or only select those who can truly make a difference. For example, if we have some soccer players elsewhere who are really good, then having them play for India could increase the quality of our performance and that in turn could help the game develop. Likewise, in olympic sports, only consider those who are medal prospects etc. Otherwise, if we sending people to make up numbers, then give preference to India developed talent and that is the more assured way of raising our standards in the longer term.
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

It looks like Natasha Subhash will go to Somdev's Univ instead of taking the Pro route: http://www.dailyprogress.com/cavalierin ... e862e.html

I have mixed feelings about talented girls taking the college route .While there are exceptions everywhere, I get the feeling that the competition is much lesser on the girls side(?). Raveena Kingsley was one girl I had high hopes when she reached close to top-250 ranking as a 17 yr old and was running the likes of CiCi close while having multiple top-150 wins. Now since taking the college route, she is struggling to qualify into even $25K events in the one-off event that she plays. Her level has clearly dropped.
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

On the other hand, hopefully Astra Sharma comes out good as she delays her goal of becoming a surgeon to concentrate on the Pro tour.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Fwiw Danielle Collins who graduated from UVA in 2016 is now 45 in the Wta rankings.
bujilover

Post by bujilover »

Just came across this 16 yo player - Anika Yarlagadda. Based in the US, she has won a G4 event in Canada earlier this year and is currently ranked 335. Might be someone worth watching as she continues in the junior/pro circuit.

Also, another 16 yo. Keshav Chopra who is currently with the IMG Academy. Ranked 402 at the moment but has had a couple of Runner-Up results at the G4 level.

They both are playing in the International Grass Court Championship (G4) held this week in Pennsylvania.
bujilover

Post by bujilover »

16 yo. Annika, seeded 3rd won the G4 Grass Court Championships this week without losing a set. :clap:

Results at International Grass Court Championship, USA:

Anika YARLAGADDA (USA) [3] 6-3 6-4 Robin MONTGOMERY (USA)
Anika YARLAGADDA (USA) [3] 6-1 6-2 Nadejda MASLOVA (USA)
Anika YARLAGADDA (USA) [3] 6-0 6-3 Hibah SHAIKH (USA) [5]
Anika YARLAGADDA (USA) [3] 6-0 6-1 Megan POLNET (USA)
Anika YARLAGADDA (USA,335) [3] 7-6(10) 7-5 Nicole HAMMOND (USA,339) [4]
bujilover

Post by bujilover »

19 yo Ajeet Rai could be playing a live Davis Cup rubber soon when New Zealand takes on Korea this September for the relegation playoff.

Amazing how the national tennis organization recognized his potential and wanted to nurture this young talent.

Source: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/a ... d=12106647
bujilover

Post by bujilover »

23 yo. Astra Sharma captured her 3rd ITF title this year at Cairns, Australia defeating fellow Aussie Destanee Aiava in 3 sets (0-6 7-6 6-1). As per TF, the finals match was played between 2 days and in 2 cities as bad weather at Cairns washed out the match after the first set and the rest of the match was completed in Darwin, Australia (almost 3K kms away) in a different time zone.

Astra is currently 276 in the world with the above title ranking points yet to be added. Just imagine how strong our team would be if Indian tennis associations lurk her for a Fed cup spot if we had the right people and the resources governing our sport. Go Astra!
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

bujilover wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:33 pm Astra is currently 276 in the world with the above title ranking points yet to be added. Just imagine how strong our team would be if Indian tennis associations lurk her for a Fed cup spot if we had the right people and the resources governing our sport. Go Astra!
Unless India opens up dual-citizenship or removes the Indian passport rule, it won't happen. We had discussion on this in the first-second threads. Naiktha mentioned to us too about playing for India if not for the above. By the way, Aus Tennis rates her pretty highly too (rightly so) and I would think she would get a main draw wc given that she will be close to being an automatic entry into Qualifying.

If at all, any country has an outside chance of wooing her, it is Singapore given her mother is from there. Her brother Ashwin is also trying his luck on the ITF Tour now - though hasn't made much progress.
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

Govind Nanda, one of the top junior players in the US has been accepted to UCLA starting this Fall. See the article on tennis recruiting..

https://www.tennisrecruiting.net/articl ... =275688231

Please also check out Govind's interview on ITD...

https://indiantennisdaily.com/2018/10/0 ... interview/

Sorry been having a lot of issues with my account here.password keeps getting reset with every visit. I've been reading the posts on the site but having issues logging in...
Varma

Post by Varma »

Gautam...that was a nice and comprehensive interview. Yes, several of us here have been keeping an eye on Govind Nanda for a while. I am pretty sure the interest will keeping increasing as he starts getting better. That he is from Southern California makes me keep a closer tab on this kid :)

Thanks for your time and effort in providing insights about an exciting prospect of Indian origin!

- Varma
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

VReddy wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:06 pm
bujilover wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:33 pm Astra is currently 276 in the world with the above title ranking points yet to be added. Just imagine how strong our team would be if Indian tennis associations lurk her for a Fed cup spot if we had the right people and the resources governing our sport. Go Astra!
Unless India opens up dual-citizenship or removes the Indian passport rule, it won't happen. We had discussion on this in the first-second threads. Naiktha mentioned to us too about playing for India if not for the above. By the way, Aus Tennis rates her pretty highly too (rightly so) and I would think she would get a main draw wc given that she will be close to being an automatic entry into Qualifying.

If at all, any country has an outside chance of wooing her, it is Singapore given her mother is from there. Her brother Ashwin is also trying his luck on the ITF Tour now - though hasn't made much progress.
Astra Sharma did not get a main draw wild card but qualified in with 3 good wins and now has also won a main draw first round match beating fellow Australian Priscilia Hohn.

It seems Astra had a great US college stint and start very well on pro tour too. Let us see how far her career progresses.

Another NRI Nathika Bains lost in the final qualifying round.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Govind Nanda wins an ITF tournament at the age of 17, so he is showing a lot of promise!