Indian Origin Players Thread

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

VReddy
Please enter the middle number: 1

Indian Origin Players Thread

Post by VReddy »

Could not find an appropriate thread to follow the likes of Raveena, Naiktha and others. I am sure the list will only grow, so creating this thread to group them and follow the progress. Mods: Feel free to delete this thread.

Starting the thread with some recent results of Raveena Kingsley (18 yrs old) who is back on the tour after a long injury layoff

$50K Toronto : 31 Oct - 6 Nov, 2016

[R1] Raveen Kingsley (305, USA) d Pia Konig (444, AUT) 6-2 6-4
[R2] Raveen Kingsley (305, USA) d Marie Bouzkova (259, CZE) 2-6 6-3 7-5
[QF] Raveen Kingsley (305, USA) d Bianca Vanessa Andreescu (298, CAN) 6-1 6-4
[SF] Raveen Kingsley (305, USA) l Catherine Bellis (92, USA) 3-6 6-1 1-6

Very good fight against the 17yr CiCi who had reached the 3rd round at the US Open. Hopefully we will see Raveena in the slam qualies after the AUS Open.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Indian Origin Players Thread

Post by sameerph »

We have had separate thread for Rajeev Ram. The only one among Indian origin foreign player for whom we have a thread, I think. So, it will be good to follow others here.

I see a lot of them appearing for the US. Raveena Kingsley (who seems to be with mixed set of parents one of whom must be an Indian) appears to one of the most promising ones.
bujilover

Post by bujilover »

Thanks for creating this thread. I am sure there are a lot of NRI players we can add to the existing list.
Abish arul

Post by Abish arul »

sameerph wrote:We have had separate thread for Rajeev Ram. The only one among Indian origin foreign player for whom we have a thread, I think. So, it will be good to follow others here.

I see a lot of them appearing for the US. Raveena Kingsley (who seems to be with mixed set of parents one of whom must be an Indian) appears to one of the most promising ones.
nope both of her parents are from India her father is orginally from chennai
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

Yes Raveena has a much stronger connection with India than just mixed Indian heritage. Both her parents are from Chennai and she had played quite regularly on the Indian Junior circuit too
vatsal323

Post by vatsal323 »

Why can't we get her to represent India? Damn!
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

vatsal323 wrote:Why can't we get her to represent India? Damn!
Maybe just like Ram she thinks her self to be an American. And we know the strength of US passport. As long she has that she can't play for us
Abish arul

Post by Abish arul »

who knows she may represent India in the future since she often visits India during festival times.she may have indianness inside her :p
Saniapower

Post by Saniapower »

US is a declining power.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Indian American Natasha Subhash, 15, has shot up to No. 32 in the tennis world junior girls ranking after winning the doubles title of the 2016 Abierto Juvenil Mexicano tournament, held in Mexico City ... In the finals of the girls doubles of the Grade A championship, 4th seeded pair of Subhash and McNally beat 3rd seeded pair of Malene Helgo (Norway) and Claire Liu in straight sets, 6-2, 6-4, on outdoor clay court

As per report, in the girls singles championship, Subhash, who was seeded 12th, won two rounds, beating Alexa Noel (US) in the first round, 6-7 (2), 7-5, 7-5 and Nidhi Surapaneni of India, 5-7, 7-6 (2), 6-3, in the second, before bowing out to the 7th seeded Emily Appleton of Great Britain in a hard-fought third round match, 5-7, 7-6 (4), 6-3, squandering three match points.
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

A brief article on the 18-yr old Ajeet Rai, New Zealand's No.1 Junior who lost in R1 of the Aus Open Boys Singles.

Article
Ranked No.1 in New Zealand in the juniors, Ajeet spoke to HT about his experience of playing in a Grand Slam event, from Melbourne. “I was stretched a lot in the first round singles match. Had cramps not occurred, the result of the match could have been different. We gave a tough fight in the doubles second round too but they surged ahead in the deciding set. I have to say my opponents were well prepared and better groomed,” Ajeet told HT from Melbourne.

Meanwhile, Raveena Kingsley got a maindraw wildcard for the $100K ITF Challenger that starts tomorrow at Midland
Varma

Post by Varma »

“As parents we have been working hard on his game and making sure he gets the best. But the national body refuses to support the sport. Ajeet had more potential than his singles opponent Alexie Popyrin but he lost the match. The Australian national tennis body grooms such young players well but New Zealand lack in this sport,” said Madhu, who visits Punjab often and is very impressed with how the All India Tennis Association (AITA) pushes its players.

“I have still not given up on my Indian passport. A decision on moving to India will be made if required for Ajeet’s future. Maybe he can blossom under AITA. Right now we are focusing on getting sponsors for Ajeet,” said Madhu.
I am surprised Ajeet's mom said that. Their best bet is to find private (Indian) sponsors. They will be doomed if they think AITA will help Ajeet's game. Taking such a wrong step at 18 can prove fatal to a talented boy's career.

- Varma
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

It is possible that AITA is slightly better at helping/grooming players than its NZ counterpart. It's been ages since Onny Parun and Chris Lewis, and NZ have singularly lacked a singles player in the top 100 for nearly 3 decades now.
That said, AITA is pretty bad overall, especially after the junior stages -- which are most crucial.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Maybe NZers are not that interested in tennis? It being a small country, the catchment pool is much smaller?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Varma wrote:
“I have still not given up on my Indian passport. A decision on moving to India will be made if required for Ajeet’s future. Maybe he can blossom under AITA. Right now we are focusing on getting sponsors for Ajeet,” said Madhu.
I am surprised Ajeet's mom said that. Their best bet is to find private (Indian) sponsors. They will be doomed if they think AITA will help Ajeet's game. Taking such a wrong step at 18 can prove fatal to a talented boy's career.
I am sure the mom is being very tactful and keeping her options open. They will need AITA's help if they want to get Ajeet to play under Indian colors...