Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Karman Kaur Thandi

Post by jayakris »

In a spot of bother at 0-30 after two good returns from Sebov, but Karman is not going to let anything bother her. Comes up with enough and more heat on 4 straight points to hold to 4-1.

Phew, a delayed line call on a shot Sebov hit out, for 30-40 BP. An incredible 14 shat rally where Karman wouldn't miss anything. 5-1.

KT gets broken at 30-40 in the net game with a weird point where she hit some off-schedule shots. I thought there were two out calls on Sebov that didn't get called, for the BP to happen. But KT has not disputed calls today. She just seems to keep going. Like it should be done!

Sebov holds. Now KT serves again at 5-3 for the match. FOUR service winners!! She takes the match. Wow, Karman!! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

[F] Karman Kaur Thandi (IND,308) d. Katherine Sebov (CA,266), 36 64 63
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

What a win. :bounce: :bounce:

I had given up hope at a set and a break down in the second set.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^^ I was about to give up when the Umpire lady made that crucial OUT call at 3-4 in the second set. I stayed on, and the turnaround was incredible. Quite surely the best tennis I have seen any Indian woman play, since the Sania days. Maybe the most powerful tennis I have seen any Indian woman play, including Sania. The serves and the shots were just packed with heat.

Karman won 94 points to 92 by Sekov. That tells us what a great match it was. In fact, KT was behind at something like 42-58 before the turn-around late in the second set. Nine aces by KT oday, and I think four of them were at BPs on her!
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

Same here. Infact, I stopped watching after the break and came back to just check the score and saw the turnaround.
arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by arjun2761 »

Wow, superb performance by Karman! Saw the last few games in which she was much the better player and fully deserved the win!
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

She has power but shot selection is not always right. Also I have seen her land herself into awkward position to hit a shot.May be some foot work issues.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

arjun2761 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:38 pm Wow, superb performance by Karman! Saw the last few games in which she was much the better player and fully deserved the win!
Absolutely deserved to win. Actually Arjun, the final 15 points or so of the second set was where she played her best. Like she was possessed!
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

At Fredericton, Canada, when she was upset in the QF by the Taiwanese, En Shuo Liang, I said this
jayakris wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:36 pm I did watch the match, but I refuse to comment much. Because I am kinda mad. Karman had no business losing this match. She simply fell apart for no reasons that I could discern. Those of you who watched it and saw the opponent and her game, would know why I am this frustrated.
That was just last week. The worst match I have ever seen her play. What a difference a week makes.

Looks like I should get mad at our players. They don't even know that I got mad here (haha), but like Mukund a couple of times, it has worked in the past! :)
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

SaniaFan wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:39 pm She has power but shot selection is not always right. Also I have seen her land herself into awkward position to hit a shot.May be some foot work issues.
Oh boy, yes... She has all kinds of holes in her game. The basic power game (serves and groundies) is top-notch, but she doesn't retrieve very well at all, she is poor at the net with unsteady hands, and poor in many running shots where you cannot time things correctly. I agree that the footwork often looks awkward on retrievals and even in some standard rallies. Many times she hits the shots off balance behind the line, making you wonder how she even gets the ball across, let alone hit it deep (today she hit quite a few deep shots on the backfoot; but I have seen matches where things went terribly). If the opponent mixes things up, and brings in variations in the rally, she gets taken off rhythm, and she is very inaccurate in off-schedule shots.

But in the third set, I saw Karman bringing some variations to good effect too (which was unusual) like a couple of loopy shots that bought herself time to position and balance herself well. The shots kept falling in, within a couple of feet of the baselines, too. Normally she doesn't look to buy time at all and goes for the shots. Trying to buy time can sometimes take you out of the point if the opponent reaches your shots. So going for the shots is her shot selection "strategy", so to say. I would probably agree with that strategy in her case - as she is quite good at it and does not mess around much. If she tries to mess around and think much, she may only lose advantage as the opponent may catch her off-balance and she doesn't have the retrieval skills for that. Go for broke, and hope that your shots will fall in.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

I was wondering only if Sania had her serve....
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

:Offtopic:

Ah! Arthur C. Herring, a noted architect once wrote about an interaction between an American beauty Isidora Duncan and George Bernard Shaw.
It reminds me of the story going around about the letters interchanged by Isidora Duncan and Bernard Shaw. Miss Duncan wrote Mr. Shaw as follows: ‘My dear Mr. Shaw: I beg to remind you that as you have the greatest brain in the world, and I have the most beautiful body, it is our duty to posterity to have a child.’ Whereupon Mr. Shaw replied to Miss Duncan ...
Shaw's reply was, "But Suppose the Child Inherited My Beauty and Your Brains" :p

That may be true or not true and versions of the story appeared related to the debate about eugenics, its risks, etc. The full account of the story and its roots/authenticity is here.

I also know that you know that there is no point thinking those things. Usually, people don't have it all and if they do, then they become Federer, etc. Anyway, what a fabulous win by KKT. May she win many more soon.
prashanthm

Post by prashanthm »

Wow! What a comeback from being a set and a break down to win so comfortably in the end...... :notworthy: :bounce:
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

At the W60 in Toronto, Canada (indoor hard)

[R1] Karman Kaur Thandi (IND,217) vs En Shuo Liang (TPE,402)

Interesting matchup. The same player to whom Karman lost the week before the great run at Saguenay. Hope she exacts revenge this time, against the crafty player with a lot of skills who nonetheless is clearly not at Karman's level. Karman needs to be careful and not drop her guard though, or she could lose like 2 weeks ago!
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

I am 100% sure, she will be tired. So it will be a tough match and great test of her stamina!
ornatebrute

Post by ornatebrute »

I definitely would not that say En Shuo Liang is not KKT level. If anything En Shuo has just been underperforming than her as actual level. With a CHR of 150 in singles, 2-0 H2H against KKT (she had beaten her at 2018 Asian Games as well before winning a bronze), the 2018 AO girls singles and doubles champion is a tough competitor any day