Karman has won the first set 6-4 against 6th seeded Ferrando. :D
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Karman Kaur Thandi

Post by sameerph »

In the second set, Karman got broken in very first game and it continued on serve after that till 9th game. In 10th game Ferrando served for the set and played a long service game with numerous game points and break points. Finally, Karman broke on 3rd or 4th break point of the game to make it 5-5.

Karman holds at 30 for 6-5.

Ferrando taken to deuce but holds for 6-6.

And Karman wins the tie break to complete an excellent win. :clap:

[R2] Karman Kaur Thandi (IND,313) d. (6) Cristiana Ferrando (ITA,283) 64 76(3)
vatsal323

Post by vatsal323 »

I think this is one of the grittier wins of her career. That game at 5-4 in the 2nd set, where she saved 4 set points, was titanic. #kktfire
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by jaydeep »

Really good win over in-form Italian ... Next, she is facing top-200 young Czech player Marie Bouzkova ... Marie Bouzkova won the 2014 US Open girls' singles title.

At $25K ITF Women's Tournament 2017, Stillwater, Oklahoma, USA

[QF] Karman Kaur Thandi (IND,315) vs (2) Marie Bouzkova (CZE,185)
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I guess Karman is beginning to really come on! Go lady, go! Jay
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Very nice win over 22-year-old Cristiano Ferrando, who won the $60K Granby title in July, and beat former world #21 Aleksandra Wosniak last week in Albuquerque.
At 19 years and 3 months, Karman remains on track to become our first top-100 woman player since Sania Mirza. She is about one year behind Sania's pace, but Karman is still getting better all the time.
vishalg

Post by vishalg »

Got double bagled today. Won only 12 points in the entire match. Must have been one heck of an off day.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

.. and we crash down to earth just like that.

At $25K ITF Women's Tournament 2017, Stillwater, Oklahoma, USA

[QF] Karman Kaur Thandi (IND,315) l (2) Marie Bouzkova (CZE,185) 06 06
Saniapower

Post by Saniapower »

Go to Sharm El Sheikh and play with Kanika. Your not having enough of match practice. How your game will improve!
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Karman needs to take this loss positively as a learning experience to work on her game and shortcomings.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

jaydeep wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:41 am Karman needs to take this loss positively as a learning experience to work on her game and shortcomings.
Even that is tough to do when the other player won some 50 points and you had just 12, if you have no film. Her brain must have been spinning and she probably doesn't even remember how many things went wrong. Yikes. This was a shellacking; no other way to put it.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

jayakris wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:48 amEven that is tough to do when the other player won some 50 points and you had just 12, if you have no film. Her brain must have been spinning and she probably doesn't even remember how many things went wrong. Yikes. This was a shellacking; no other way to put it.
True, but I hope her coach was there and he noted or filmed, so they will go back to the drawing board and discuss and work on it.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Yes, a double bagel (if not out of injury) is always something that should make you think real hard about what you are doing wrong. The opponent was good, but it wasn't like she was a top-25 player or something. I too hope that Karman can analyze at the match closely.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Unless their levels are that much apart, a double bagel is almost always a mental issue. Something happened so that your game is totally off and after a point you stopped trying. It may not be due to a regular weakness (I am not saying that she does not have any) but due to some one-off issue. A post-mortem that tries to figure out what happened and reduce that or try to figure out how to come out of it if it happens in the future could be helpful. For example, if your serve is not falling one day, you may have to figure out how to go to plan-b and play a returns game and scrap even if it is not your natural game. I have seen this for amateurs though and do not necessarily know if this was the case. I am just proposing another hypothetical.
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

jayakris wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:01 am Yes, a double bagel (if not out of injury) is always something that should make you think real hard about what you are doing wrong. The opponent was good, but it wasn't like she was a top-25 player or something. I too hope that Karman can analyze at the match closely.
Having been close to double-bageled myself - there is always something tactical that one is doing that plays directly into the other person's strengths. In my case, I was giving plenty of low slices and flat shots to a short lefty with a continental grip - all of my shots were going to his hitting zone and I managed only one game in each set. It was a total shellacking but the clarity only came after the match - during the match I was at a complete loss as to what was going on. Similar thing could have happened here. Maybe Karman's shots played directly into her opponent's strengths in all aspects, and she had no clue as to what needed to be changed - or maybe she couldn't change. This is where a coach can really help - hopefully they have a film of this match - it can be a life saver in planning for some additional skills that need to be developed.

Prof