Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Karman Kaur Thandi

Post by jayakris »

ornatebrute wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:19 am I definitely would not that say En Shuo Liang is not KKT level. If anything En Shuo has just been underperforming than her as actual level. With a CHR of 150 in singles, 2-0 H2H against KKT (she had beaten her at 2018 Asian Games as well before winning a bronze), the 2018 AO girls singles and doubles champion is a tough competitor any day
Maybe you are right, and I am ill-informed. Liang is is awfully skilled and has won a lot. But when you see her play, you would wonder how she wins matches even in the top-500, let alone reach top-200. You wonder why a player like Karman can't just pummel her into submission. I guess she must be a very intelligent player. She has the crafty game that players like Karman would find very difficult to handle. Way too much of variation that takes Karman out of her game.

Well, many people wondered seeing Ramesh Krishnan play, how anybody could lose to him too, but he would beat them all (with only very few exceptions right at the top).

I am very curious to see how Karman does tomorrow. Hopefully a lot better than 2 weeks ago.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Last time Karman won a title in Gurugram 25K in June, next week she got bundled out in first round against Seheja.

I guess it is quite tough to get up from a high of earlier week ( both physically and mentally) and perform well in consecutive week. Let's see how she does this time.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Karman tied at 2-2 in first set. Karman had 2 bp chances in very first game but after that it has gone with serve with no breakpoint although Karman was taken to deuce in last service game.
3-3. 19 points to 20, very close.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

3-4 on serve now. This is going on expected lines. Karman having all kinds of trouble handling all the variations and ball-placement guile from Liang, but playing quite well nonetheless. Not much margin for error though, as Liang hardly makes errors if she can get to the shots from KKT.

karman saved two BPs from 0-40 on great serves but then got broken on a point where her mechanics were all wrong. She needs to move another foot more back (and with some urgency) before hitting the retrieve shots. Nets it. Broken. 3-5

She breaks right back on a couple of good returns and some solid hitting. Liang got a bit tight there and was not willing to hit to the right spots - and that is asking for trouble against Karman. The final shot at 30-40 BP from KKT may have been out, and Liang complained, but the Ump is unmoved. 4-5 and serving.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

What a nice backhand to backhand exchange point won by Karman. Liang is trying to play mostly to her backhand but Karman is hitting her backhand better than in most of the matches I have seen.

Nice forehand winner too to break back.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

5 aces in 5 service games for Karman. Gives her 1 free point for each service game which is good. 31 points to 32 at 5-5. Very close again.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Suddenly Liang is making some errors. 3 in that service game to get broken again. Karman has a chance to serve for the set at 6-5.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Yes, Liang has got tight. The opponents' reputation as "the one in top form" can do that :) ... KKT breaks again. Actually she had broken at 15-40 with a huge return and Liang's shot was an inch out. The ump went with Liang this time. Another good return and now Liang hits it out far enough :) .... 6-5 and serving.

Another ace helps get 40-0 triple set points. Two relatively poorer points wasted two of those, but the two forehands that won the set at 30-40 were superb. Karman is in no mood to think of losing this match or anything right now :) 75 00.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Bad game by Karman to get broken for 1-3 in second set. Couple of bad errors.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

An unnecessary drop of serve at 1-2 from Karman. Come on! Lost a point on indecision at the net when she had to just tap the ball across, and then a lazy double fault. Saved one BP with some nice shots but hit one out for no reasons at 30-40. 1-3 down :( ... Don't give the Taiwanese lady a second wind, please. Come on Karman!

She heard me. Went after Liang with some fury, and broke her with four straight points!!! Jeez, that retrieval FH at the BP. How did she hit it that deep? Liang was stunned and didn't even move, though she could have gone and hit it! 2-3 back on serve :)

Playing well again. Holds serve at love for 75 33 ... Two easy holds by both. 4-4

4 straight bad points played by KKT on Liang's serve. Three of them due to poor mechanics behind the baseline, which she just needs to fix. Just move 2 feet more back and you can hit the shots. Some coach should help fix her issues behind the baseline. 4-5 and serving.

A couple of mistakes by KKT, but at 30-30 the ump helped her again on a first serve that was long. But then she held with her 9th ace. 5-5

Karman's return game has not been too good in the last three service games from Liang. Just going for broke and hitting the net. 5-6 and serving to take it to a TB, which she does with a love game. TB starting
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

1-2 up a mini to 2-4 down a mini. 3 or 4 shots to the lines, and KKT a bit unlucky. Phew got the mini back for 4-5 and serving. Big serve; return long. 5-5. Big FH for 6-5 match point; liang to serve. But Karman down with a twisted knee or something. Yikes :(

She gets up. Not sure how hurt she is. 6-6 and on serve... 6-7 and Karman to serve two. return long. 7-7... Ace #10. 8-7 mp on Liang serve. 8-8... 8-9 set pt to Liang... KKT saves it on her serve. 9-9... Now 10-9 mp to KKT. Liang plays two good pts... 10-11 set pt. KKT saves with ace #11... Now 12-11 match pt again. And finally Liang hits the net. And that is a wrap !!! Karman :notworthy:

[R1] Karman Kaur Thandi (IND,217) d. En Shuo Liang (TPE,402) 75 76(11)
which brings up
[R2] Karman Kaur Thandi (IND,217) vs (6) Jamie Loeb (USA,245)

She will have to upset a seed next. Oh wait, the seed will have to upset Karman next :)
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

I didn’t want to watch the match because I know our players usually lose after a great run (and Karman did win the title last week after I decided not to continue watching after she lost the first set against Sebov :D), looks like she has had to tough it out against a rather tricky opponent. So glad she won today and added more points to her tally, just hoping she’s staying injury free and healthy to play more. Jamie Loeb, next :goodluck:
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

Yes the fall at 6-5 in the tie breaker is a concern. Do they not have doctors in these tournaments? Also can they take a medical timeout during the tie breaker?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I thought she would call the physio. Yes, they do have physios in these events, and can take an injury break at any time. I think Karman decided that it was better not to lose steam from a break in action there.

I am not sure what exactly happens. This same thing happened last week in the semifinal too. Again, nothing we could see... so it looks like planting the foot at some angle and it suddenly acting up. She seemed to be in pain and down, but came back and played fine after that last week (though she seemed to flex her knee after a few points, showing some discomfort). No issues in the final then, though.

It is not a good sign anyway. It is probably an indication of some sort of lingering knee issue that has not gone away. She may need to watch it and not make it worse playing through it, if that is the case. She needs to get good medical advice, and hopefully she is getting that.

By the way, I saw that she is traveling with her own physio now, so she is probably on top of the matter.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Dinesh wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:16 pm I didn’t want to watch the match because I know our players usually lose after a great run (and Karman did win the title last week after I decided not to continue watching after she lost the first set against Sebov :D)
You should have watched it. It was a fun match. The kind of player against whom KKT needs practice. She finally solved the Liang puzzle, I guess. Actually, the solution was that she just served well and did not make mistakes like she did 2 weeks ago. She is really not making too many silly mistakes like I have seen her make in the past.

One thing I have noticed in recent matches is her ability to serve the ace on cue at tough junctures. She can actually serve a lot more aces if she wants, it would seem. Also, I almost do not notice her double-faults, because they have generally come at no-pressure points, in general. Basically playing the kind of tennis that top-100 players play.

Actually she was trying for the corner aces a lot today, though she was like 2 of 10 in that. She had become better at the corner aces lately; maybe from trying it a lot more and gaining confidence. Her ace up the middle is often untouchable and a higher percentage serve. She goes for that at key points and often makes it. It is all nice to see.

And then the winner's mentality of just pumping herself up at the key junctures and never getting tight in the matches. Like, nothing bothers her. She is playing with a lot of confidence right now. Should keep that up!