Divij Sharan / Purav Raja (pair) thread ...

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Divij Sharan / Purav Raja (pair) thread ...

Post by sameerph »

DiPu lost in the QF.

At $50K+H Quimper Challenger 2017, France

[QF] (1) Purav Raja (IND)/ Divij Purav (IND) l. Ariel Behar (URU)/ Andrey Golubev (KAZ) 67(0) 64 6-10
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

A whimper in Quimper :-(
Varma

Post by Varma »

These Challenger doubles results are a bit harder to predict. Upsets from scratch pairs happen more often than what is seen in Futures tournaments or main tour events. I am merely stating my observation over the years rather than making excuses to DiPu's loss; they had no business losing this match. I am pretty sure they will bounce back and display their true potential. I was hoping that they are going set the tour on fire, win a couple of titles to raise their stakes up, and gain direct entries into Indian Wells and Miami masters next month. I am still hopeful!

- Varma
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

The next week Purav-Divij r playing at Montpellier and facing Dustin Brown and his young Russian partner Karen Khachanov.

At €540K Open Sud de France 2017, Montpellier, France

[R1] Purav Raja (IND)/ Divij Purav (IND) vs Dustin Brown (GER)/ Karen Khachanov (RUS)
Varma

Post by Varma »

Stars have lined up nicely for Divij & Purav. First, they were given a walk-over by their R1 opponents - Dustin Brown & Karen Khachanov - who would not have been an easier team by any means. Second, their potential QF opponents and top-seeds - Felciano Lopez & Marc Lopez - were knocked out in their opener by an unheralded scratch pair of Malek Jaziri & Albano Olivetti. This is a real welcome break for DiPu. They should win this match and be assured of at least 90 points on offer for the semi-finalists. If that happens, they are most likely awaited by the Zverev brothers who may be a bit hot to handle.

[R1] Purav Raja (IND)/ Divij Purav (IND) w/o Dustin Brown (GER)/ Karen Khachanov (RUS) (Khachanov - right shoulder)

[QF] Purav Raja (IND)/ Divij Purav (IND) vs Malek Jaziri (TUN)/ Albano Olivetti (FRA)

- Varma
Varma

Post by Varma »

[QF] Purav Raja (IND)/ Divij Purav (IND) d. Malek Jaziri (TUN)/ Albano Olivetti (FRA) 6-4, 6-2

DiPu started the match losing their serve to go down 0-2 in the opener, but broke their opponents twice to bag the set. They continued their dominance in the second set with 2 breaks to wrap up the match in less than 58 minutes.

After a day's rest tomorrow, they will play the Zverev brothers for a spot in the finals. It will be interesting to see how they are going to fare against Sasha's big groundstrokes and Mischa's exceptional volleying skills. This match will give a good measure of DiPu's progress.

[SF]Purav Raja (IND)/ Divij Purav (IND) vs Alexander Zverev (GER)/ Mischa Zverev (GER)

- Varma
prashanthm

Post by prashanthm »

For the record, Zverev brothers took out the 3rd seeded pair which included Venus...
Varma

Post by Varma »

[QF] Purav Raja (IND)/ Divij Purav (IND) l. Mischa Zverev (GER)/ Alexander Zverev (GER) 2-6, 6-7(1)

They were pretty close in the second set but got totally blown away in the tie-breaker.

- Varma
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

So, Varma, I am still not sure if they really are India's #1 doubles option. Big players know how to play the big points better. They are pretty close and I hope undertake the necessary adjustments to become a top ATP doubles team.
Varma

Post by Varma »

Prasen, they are close, but not our #1 doubles team by a mile. The two pairs we are talking about (Rohan/Jeevan & Divij/Purav), they only played once aaginst each other in which Rohan/Jeevan pair prevailed. Point to note here is that they played in a tour level final. I am absolutely not denying the fact that Rohan is by far our best doubles player. He earned that place deservedly. However, putting him and another player on court may or may not give us the expected result. On the other hand, Divij/Purav have been playing together on tour for a while and will obviously have better chemistry, which matters a lot in doubles. If they perform on par with Rohan in the next 3- tournaments, I want to pick Divij/Purav as my first choice. But if Rohan performs exceptionally well in comparison with them, I would pick him and the next best who complements him better. If he personally thinks Jeevan would make a better partner, I would honor his word since they have proven it already (provided Jeevan's form doesn't take a big dip).

- Varma
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Both are at their career high rankings this week - Divij at 53 and Purav at 54, getting close to top 50. Next couple of months are crucial for the pair. They do not have too many points to defend till end April. So, need a few big tournament runs to get close to top 40 before they start defending points from late April all thru the year.
bujilover

Post by bujilover »

Team DiPu is playing Qualifying in Acapulco ATP 500. They play Mischa Zverev/ Radu Albot pair later today :goodluck:
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Once again Mischa Zverev with his partner proved too strong for Divij and Purav.

At $1.6M Abierto Mexicano Telcel 2017, Acapulco, Mexico

[Q1] (1) Divij Sharan (IND)/ Purav Raja (IND) l Radu Albot (ROU)/ Mischa Zverev (GER) 16 46
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

DiPU were the top seeds at Leon Challenger but lost in first round. :-(

At $75K(+H) Leon Challenger, Mexico

[R1] (1) RAJA, Purav (IND) / SHARAN, Divij (IND) l. SAVILLE, Luke (AUS) / SMITH, John-Patrick (AUS) 36 16
Varma

Post by Varma »

That's a brutal team to face in an R1 of a Challenger. But, I guess DiPu will have to turn things around and start winning these matches if they want to ply their trade at the higher echelons of the tour. Tough luck! Eagerly waiting to see them get a big break one of these weeks.

- Varma