Ankita Raina thread

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Ankita Raina thread

Post by PKBasu »

The initial reports said she was the third Indian woman to play in a Slam main draw. This was rubbish, and I immediately posted on my Facebook page that Rita Davar and Nirupama Mankad had also played before these 3, and that Shikha Uberoi (non-citizen of India playing under India colours) and Laxmi Poruri (Guntur, India-born but a US citizen) had also played Slam main draws. Some subsequent stories corrected the figure accordingly (not necessarily just from my FB page :p ).
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

PKBasu wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:30 amNow if Shika & Laxmi figure in this list , than the name of Rina Einny the Indian Born Bhagdadi Jew from Calcutta a South Club product, one who trained under Akhtar Ali and was in India until she was 18 years old should also be included in the list
But Shikha is different. She played under Indian colors, except right at the start when I think she played that US Open under USA colors (and had a USTA wildcard for the qualies if I remember correctly - I need to check). Shikha was also in the Indian Fed Cup team, unlike Laxmi Poruri and Rina Enny who never played as Indians (right?)... By the way, Shikha was born in Mumbai too, so she counts every which way.
rajitghosh
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by rajitghosh »

Actually even I was wrong as far as Rita Davar is concerned. She was not the first Indian woman to play a Grand Slam. That credit apparently goes to one Phyllis Cox Berthoud who played at Wimbledon in 1920. Though I don't know whether like Sydney Jacob she was of English origin. The first to win a round was one Leela Row Dayal. Her wikipedia page is attached. She won rounds both at Wimbledon and French Open.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leela_Row_Dayal
Can some mod move this to the Golden Oldies thread?
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Can someone throw some light on this WTA250 vs WTA125. How can this be Ankita's first WTA when she has won WTA125 matches before?
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Well many do not consider WTA 125 as full fledged WTA tour event, more like a challenger on mens side. That is why many called this Ankita's first WTA win. Not sure of the official position of WTA.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

On the women's side, sometimes even $60K tournaments are sponsored by the WTA. But yes, the WTA125 in Anning (Kunming) in April 2019 where Ankita beat the 2011 US Open champion (and 2010 FO singles runner-up) Samantha Stosur probably remains the best win of her career. Stosur was still ranked in the 80s in singles at the time (she began the year at 73 and ended 2019 at 96).
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

Ankita is now the 12th alt in the Q-list at the Adelaide WTA500 event that starts next week. Earlier, the cut off for the main draw was as high as 33 but a lot of top players have withdrawn after losing in the AO and have now gone home. The qualifying draw has a cut off of 86, as of today. Next couple of days will tell us if she has decided to go elsewhere or try her chances staying here.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

She anyway cannot go and play anywhere else next week. So, better stay put there and see if she makes the qualies draw.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Ankita is in the doubles SF at the Melbourne WTA4 now. Fabulous!

[QF] Ankita Raina/Kamila Rakhimova (IND/RUS) d. V. Lapko/A. Sasnovich (BLR/BLR) 64 76(2)

Surprisingly, Ankita is still shown at only 119 in the live doubles ranking (not even at a career-high yet), but is at a career-high of 155 in singles. Women's rankings are difficult to fathom :p
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Yep, we discussed this before. Coronavirus has killed the live doubles ranking. That is, it is not live. Jay has already included the live rankings in his casualty count.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

[SF] Ankita Raina (IND) /Kamila Rakhimova (IND/RUS) d. Francesca Jones (GBR) / Nadia Posoraska (ARG) 46 64 11-9

Ankita's doubles ranking should now rise to a career-high of 106.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Live rankings confirm that she is now at a career-high doubles ranking of 106. Ankita's first WTA250 doubles final will be against Blinkova/Potapova. Blinkova made the US Open doubles semifinal a few months ago.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yes, they updated her doubles ranking and it is correct now.

Her singles ranking on that live ranking site is wrong. She cannot have 486 points anda ranking of 155. She is not adding that many points from her current tally.

By my calculation, she should be at 446 points and a ranking of 168.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

sameerph wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:47 pm Her singles ranking on that live ranking site is wrong. She cannot have 486 points anda ranking of 155. She is not adding that many points from her current tally.

By my calculation, she should be at 446 points and a ranking of 168.
Big corruption going on at the live rankings site!!! I wonder who bribed them in favor of Ankita. :D
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Ankita wins her first WTA250 doubles title (only the second Indian woman to win a WTA tournament at this level or better), and her live WTA doubles ranking rises to a career-high of 94.

WTA Melbourne 4

[F] Ankita Raina/Kamilla Rakhimova (IND/RUS) d. Anna Blinkova/Anastasia Potapova (RUS/RUS) 26 64 10-7

Anna Blinkova is 50 in the live doubles rankings (slightly below her career-high of 45) and Anastasia Potapova is 92 (versus a career-high of 77). This is a very impressive win, in a pretty high-quality WTA event. This tournament had a pair with career-high doubles rankings of 1 and 5 -- Latisha Chan (TWN, 17) and Hao-Ching Chan (TWN, 17) -- plus players with doubles career-highs of 11 (Niculescu), 20 (Zhaoxuan Yang; Makoto Ninomiya) and 23 (Flipkens).

Ankita's 19-year-old partner has moved to a new career-high of 127 (from CH 174 previously). Kamilla shares my birthday :-) She made R2 of the French Open singles last year.