15-40!
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Ankita Raina thread

Post by jayakris »

Things went downhill from 2-2 in the third set, as Ankita was broken in the 6th game. It was 2-5 and kawa serving two match points. Ankita saved them and broke her. Now 3-5 and Ankita facing a match point... back and forth. She saves it. Holds. (That is the 5th match point she saved in this match, by the way, 2 in the 2nd set and 3 in the third)

36 76(4) 45... Kawa serving once again for the match. This time she holds and it is over after 3 hours 16 minutes. Barnburner, that somebody had to win after some 17 breaks in the match. 7 by Ankita and 10 by Kawa. Kartarzyna was a bit better, ultimately. Just as the ranks would indicate. Ankita will get a few points to move up to 193 or so.

Top seed Madisen Brengle got upset and the 2nd seed Tara Clausen retired after one tiebreaker set against Magdalena Frech, who will now play the QF against Kawa. This would've been a great match for Ankita to win :(

So, at the ITF W100 USA 16A in Landisville, PA

[R2] (Q) Ankita Raina (IND,198) l. Katarzyna Kawa (POL,176), 36 76(4) 46
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

At the WTA125 Oracle Chicago challenger

[R1] Ankita Raina (IND)/ Ekaterine Gorgodze (GEO) vs Julia Lohoff (GER)/ Renata Voráčová (CZE)

I believe this match will be on Wednesday. There is almost no information on this tournament anywhere. The WTA website has always been pathetic, and it is particularly more so about this event. The links don't work, and they say that even a schedule of play can't be posted due to technical difficulties. What? Is this 1997 or something? No player list; nothing. No draw posted yet. Suddenly they posted scores for the matches finished today, after having no info there till then. I found the main draw elsewhere.

Anyway, all I can surmise is that there were only 8 players in the qualifying draw and 4 matches were played today to place the qualifiers in the main draw. Of course Ankita would not make it to such a small list. So, just doubles there this week, for her.
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

I finally met one of my favorite players of all time. Thanks to the XS tennis center for hosting these 2 WTA tournaments. I missed the first set because they started the match at least 15 minutes ahead of the planned 1:30 PM local time start and I was biking on the lake shore of Lake Michigan at that time. I live in the northern side of the lake shore whereas the tennis facility is located in the Hyde Park neighborhood in the south.

Anyway, I was so excited to finally watch Ankita play in person, she’s just the sweetest, humblest, calm player that I imagined her to be from watching online and on tv. I was too scared that she would lose after losing the 2nd set. But the team came back strongly even after trailing a bit on the MTB. I took a selfie with her after the match and also with Gorgodze. There weren’t many people cheering either of the teams but I’d say Ankita and Eka had some. I think the Georgian travels with her coach/physio whereas I didn’t really find anyone from the Raina camp. I also saw a guy taking photos using his camera from the crowd and I assumed that this would be a ITD person and so he was. We chatted a bit after the match and I told him I represented SIC.

I am going to go back again (although this depends on when the match is since I have a stupid dashboard to present in the afternoon for work). So, if you all have any questions for our sweetest Raina, please send them to me. Really hope the match is during midday.

Our team won 6-2 2-6 10-7 I believe. Thanks Julia for the double fault at that crucial point of the 3rd set. Oh, I also cheered for Ankita making a reference to Pav Bhavi saying “do it for the pav Bhaji” when they were trailing on the 3rd set. She acknowledged afterwards saying “ I heard that” ahh what a day!! 😍
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Dinesh, so happy that you were able to meet Ankita. I have no questions to ask her, but would you please tell her that there are a bunch of fans at Sports-India.com who are just thankful to her for just being there and doing her job the right way, playing tennis like it should be played, with no off-court games?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

At the WTA125 Oracle Chicago challenger

[R1] Ankita Raina (IND)/ Ekaterine Gorgodze (GEO) d. (2) Julia Lohoff (GER)/ Renata Voráčová (CZE), 62 26 [10-8]

Finally, somebody won something this week! And that too, in a very nice upset!

[QF] Ankita Raina (IND)/ Ekaterine Gorgodze (GEO) vs Mona Barthel (GER)/ Yu-Chieh Hsieh (TPE)
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

jayakris wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:41 am Dinesh, so happy that you were able to meet Ankita. I have no questions to ask her, but would you please tell her that there are a bunch of fans at Sports-India.com who are just thankful to her for just being there and doing her job the right way, playing tennis like it should be played, with no off-court games?
And that she’s always welcome at my home in the San Francisco Bay Area, should she ever have a need.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^^ Same here in the LA area. My wife and I will take host her anytime she wants it! But Indian players have lately not been coming to California much at all. Dinesh, please tell her.
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

I haven’t had the luck today since I have some meetings at work during when she will be playing her QF. I’m keeping my fingers crossed tightly that they win the match today so I can go tomorrow. There’s also a WTA event happening at the same venue, but I haven’t seen her name in the main draw. But hoping she wins today!
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^ I don't think Ankita made the cut for the WTA250 there next week.

Ankita and Eka are up 4-1 in the first set. I guess they traded two breaks each. 4-3 on serve now. Couldn't do much more after that :(

Update:
[QF] Ankita Raina (IND)/ Ekaterine Gorgodze (GEO) l. Mona Barthel (GER)/ Yu-Chieh Hsieh (TPE), 57 26
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

Losing 7-5, 3-1 now. :-(
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

:cry: they lost. And Jay, yes I forgot that she is heading to NY for the USO qualification event. I think she has secured a main draw spot in the doubles with an European player, so I’m glad her stay will be longer there. Really wish I had taken the day off to watch her again today :damn:
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

Dinesh wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:29 pm :cry: they lost. And Jay, yes I forgot that she is heading to NY for the USO qualification event. I think she has secured a main draw spot in the doubles with an European player, so I’m glad her stay will be longer there. Really wish I had taken the day off to watch her again today :damn:
Awesome that you got to meet her, Dinesh. Qualies at the USO is the best time to watch the players up close (free entry, $10 parking etc) but unfortunately no fans are being allowed this year for the qualies. So bummed.
vparam

Post by vparam »

After a number of withdrawals, Ankita has now gained entry into the qualifies at Indian Wells.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Good news. I hope she gets a good draw, and is able to win a round at least -- and, better still, qualify into the main draw.