Ankita Raina thread

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

Prashant
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Ankita Raina thread

Post by Prashant »

This funding thing comes up again. Once again, I would help fund something IF there were a true business plan provided by the player. Otherwise, it's pointless.

Funding is essential but without a very concrete plan, it isn't going to help.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Prashant wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:10 pmOnce again, I would help fund something IF there were a true business plan provided by the player. Otherwise, it's pointless. Funding is essential but without a very concrete plan, it isn't going to help.
Yes, but it doesn't have to be a "business" plan, really, though. Just a good plan that makes sense. I don't want Ankita to think that we are putting all kinds of riders on this. Just that the more reasonable and potentially effective the plan is, the more people will be willing to support.
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

Fine, perhaps it was a bad choice of words to say "business". Let me re-phrase: a detailed plan including goals, steps to achieve such goals, and budget required for these steps.
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

Prashant wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:05 pm Fine, perhaps it was a bad choice of words to say "business". Let me re-phrase: a detailed plan including goals, steps to achieve such goals, and budget required for these steps.
This is exactly what professional fund managers do. That's why to me an investment fund makes sense. IMG (international management group) was one such managed by the legendary McCormick who was sufficiently diversified across many players and sports and industries in the western world (US, Australian etc players were all covered under contracts under IMG), i am asking for something similar for Indian players which is long overdue. Our people on Dalal Street have not caught on for some reason.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

From her schedule it appears that Ankita does not have too many issues about funding for travelling to tournaments. She has travelled and played tournaments all along Europe and Asia and she does mention that she gets funding from Sports Authority of Gujarat for that. It is mentioned that she also trained in Europe this year for some time which must also be funded by someone. Her only concern is lack of travelling coach.

I don't think too many Indian players have travelling coach as of now. I think Sumit and Karman have got travelling coaches for at least at some of the tournaments and I think they are both supported by Mahesh. RamK may have one at some of the tournaments.

I don't think Yuki has a travelling coach either. Now, should we fund for that instead ? If we have limited funds we need to consider where best to spend them in the interest of Indian Tennis. I am not saying Ankita does not deserve that being womens India # 1. But, perhaps Yuki deserves it even more being on the threshold of top 100. Or should the funds be used for someone younger who has lots of potential.

All this needs to be considered is what I feel before we go ahead with this. Just my opinion.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

sameerph wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:35 amI don't think Yuki has a travelling coach either. Now, should we fund for that instead ? If we have limited funds we need to consider where best to spend them in the interest of Indian Tennis. I am not saying Ankita does not deserve that being womens India # 1. But, perhaps Yuki deserves it even more being on the threshold of top 100. Or should the funds be used for someone younger who has lots of potential.
But Yuki did earn $140K prize money this year and can probably afford to pay somebody for at least 10 or 12 events, so that also needs to be considered. A trainer is probably more needed in his case, actually - and he is using one now (not sure if Abhimanyu is full-time).

But what you said should certainly be a consideration. Anyway, Ankita seems to have a pretty deserving case, but we do need more info/details and a clear plan. Generally these things don't work out in the end, which is why we have never really done this.

Also, all said and done, current players are getting much more support than players used to get earlier. Even after being in the top-150 and winning a round at the Australian Open, Nirupama could not get even $20K sponsorship from anywhere, some 18 years ago. Her dad had to sell family property to keep her going at one point. Things like state support was unheard of. Ankita certainly gets much more than Niru used to. And some of these Olympics related programs are pumping in a lot more money too. The sad thing was that Ankita missed out on that.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

I recall mentioning this previously but why not have sports-india & friends sponsor a challenger.

It is very doable and will have significant benefits for where our men's players are as was displayed in the last couple of weeks.

I am sure the forummers here have enough contacts to find a state tennis association willing to provide organizational support.
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

This is intriguing. How much does that cost?
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

Prashant wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:27 pm This is intriguing. How much does that cost?
Lower challenger event is $50K and so we need to have around $75k to get seriously talking about it.

On the larger topic, I personally prefer going with the belief in talent / gut feel to kick-off things and take the formal process approach if its indeed turning out to be big. I would guess logistically with our limited resources former is easier than later. However, whichever approach we take, I'd be happy to do my bit
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

I recall reading the cost of organizing is 2x the prize money for lower level tournaments so probably around 100k for a 50k CH. I don't think it is feasible without roping in one of the DLTA, APLTA or the likes with access to tennis courts and volunteers.

Maybe someone with more contacts in Indian tennis like Jay or vatsal/vishnu could chip in with the possibility of doing so.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

We certainly can't do a full event or anything, and yes, it does cost at least twice the prize money. Even if we try to come up with $30K (very tough) for a futures event, it is too much donated money being spent randomly rather than on specific players who need help. Not worth it, when others are able to find title sponsors and state associations' help to set up events already. Just adding one more event using our had-raised donations is not worth it.

If we can get a wildcard (that we can vote and select here) and a website and courtside banner for sports-india.com that shows up on a live stream, it might be worthwhile doing fundraising for that. Not sure if a $5 to 10K would get us that at a 50K challenger somewhere, but we can do something like that. We need to get to pick a wildcard, of course. We always know of a player or two who deserves a wildcard who doesn't get it, invariably at any event.

If it is successful, we can make it a regular feature, every now and then at some events, depending on how soon the donations add up to a $5K. More sports fans can join, if the word spreads, and then every once in a while the Indian sports fans will lock up a wildcard, for which the selection is through voting at this forum. The players will certainly appreciate the gesture, and nobody can complain if it is done in a fair manner through voting. Anybody with at least 10 or 20 posts in our forum can vote (and maybe those who donate funds get 2 votes or something reasonable). Just a thought.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

This is a nice article on Ankita chronicling her journey from childhood -

Who is Ankita Raina? Meet India’s top-ranked women’s tennis player who impressed at Mumbai Open

Brave of her to be going alone for the tournaments from early age in trying to fulfill her ambitions. I think most of the other players have 1 parent travelling with him/her till quite some time.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

This is another article on Ankita where she stresses the need for her coach to be travelling with her -

Ankita Raina labours on the need for good support staff for success
bujilover

Post by bujilover »

Ankita is in Taipei City for her first tournament of the year at the Taiwan WTA International. She made it to the Q list after being the #4th alternate in the initial list. The QD cut off is 330 at the moment. Karman should really be targeting these low-level Asian WTA events when she gets a chance.

Hoping for for some few good wins for Ankita :goodluck:
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

If anyone who reads this and is in touch with Ankita - if she is planning to play any tournaments in England this year then please do get in touch as I will be happy to help with travel and accommodation.