Sumit Nagal thread

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

Varma
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Sumit Nagal thread

Post by Varma »

Unless they voluntarily opt out like Sasha did this year, three of the eight playing in this inaugural edition (Shapovalov, Coric, Rublev) will be eligible for next year too. Then there are a host of other youngsters (Taifoe, Fritz, Tsitsipas, Rudd, Auger-Aliassime) that are already in top 100 or knocking on the doors to get in there. With the way things are today, I don't think Sumit stands a chance for next year. As of now, I don't see any Indian who is capable of doing it in the near future. I wish they had this a few years back which would have given Yuki a fairer chance.

- Varma
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

I can see Sumit cracking the top 200 in a year if everything goes right for him but top 100 is a really long shot given the limitations in his game. Would be happy if he proved me wrong...
bujilover
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by bujilover »

Varma wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:48 pm Unless they voluntarily opt out like Sasha did this year, three of the eight playing in this inaugural edition (Shapovalov, Coric, Rublev) will be eligible for next year too. Then there are a host of other youngsters (Taifoe, Fritz, Tsitsipas, Rudd, Auger-Aliassime) that are already in top 100 or knocking on the doors to get in there. With the way things are today, I don't think Sumit stands a chance for next year. As of now, I don't see any Indian who is capable of doing it in the near future. I wish they had this a few years back which would have given Yuki a fairer chance.

- Varma
Varma, they did not opt Sascha out. He himself decided not to participate in lieu of preparing for World Tour Finals and it would be a meaningless outing for him even if he wanted to, in the first place.
Varma

Post by Varma »

I was saying the same, Dinesh. My "They" was referring to those 3 players listed in the latter part of that statement (Shapovalov, Coric, Rublev), not ATP :)

- Varma
bujilover

Post by bujilover »

My bad. But I do agree that Yuki might have benefited had this been established years ago.

Sumit has a great team and support but it’s sad that he hasn’t quite established himself in even the Challenger circuit yet. We don’t want to lose another Sanam Singh in us.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Sanam was not a same level talent as Sumit is. In juniors Sumit won grade 1 and grade 2 titles on European clay. Also won a lot more futures tournaments at early age than Sanam.

Unfortunately, injury early this year has set him back for the year. He could not play for the first 4 months of the year and had to built up the lost points due to that. Hopefully, he will get close to top 250 by end of the year and play only at challenger level next year.

Still, do not expect him to be near the level where he can qualify for next gen ATP finals.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Congratulations to Sumit Nagal for a breakthru week this winning his first challenger title at Bengaluru today.

These are his results this week.

At $100K(+H) Bengaluru Challenger

[R1] Sumit Nagal (IND,321) d. (Q) N. Vijay Sundar Prashanth (IND,622) 62 60
[R2] Sumit Nagal (IND,321) d. Brydan Klein (GBR, 282) 64 46 75
[QF] Sumit Nagal (IND,321) d. (1) Bax Kavcic (SLO,102) 63 64
[SF] Sumit Nagal (IND,321) d. (3) Yuki Bhambri (IND,122) 64 60
[F] Sumit Nagal (IND,321) d. Jay Clarke (GBR,279) 63 36 62

He is one of the youngest Indian players to win a challenger title at 20 year and 3 months. With this title, Sumit will move up almost 100 places to be around 225 in the rankings on Monday. Also he secures his place in the qualifying draws of Australian open, French open and Wimbledon next year. ( as he no points to defend til mid June next year).
vatsal323

Post by vatsal323 »

I got a chance to interview Sumit in Bangalore. Here's the link -

https://indiantennisdaily.wordpress.com ... mit-nagal/
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

That is an excellent interview, Vatsal.

I think that reference to first pro title in Egypt appears wrong. Sumit never played in Egypt.
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

Yes that was from Pranjala's interview! :p :D . Thank you Sammer - you are the best in attention to detail as usual :). It is corrected now.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Sammer was a BvB and German legend and has nothing to do with tennis india :p
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

Great interview Vatsal. So he does draw inspiration from Ferrer, Nishikori and Goffin. I watched Goffin beat Federer at the ATP London Masters - that match is the kind of professionalism that I hope one day Indian players will have. Goffin dominated Federer in the final set and totally outclassed him, and there was no bitterness or rancor between them at all.

Prof
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

knarayen wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:44 pmGreat interview Vatsal. So he does draw inspiration from Ferrer, Nishikori and Goffin. I watched Goffin beat Federer at the ATP London Masters - that match is the kind of professionalism that I hope one day Indian players will have.
To add, he can take some motivation from another 5-10 Indian as well, a Mr. Leander Adrian Paes, who also upset Federer who was then #50 and the top seed in the qualies, 57 61 64. At Indian Wells, back in 2000. I am among only 3 or 4 Indians (and only about 50 people) to ever witness that match in the outermost court at Indian Wells. My tennisindia notes is probably the only record of that match, unfortunately. Yeah, if you have the will and the skill, you can beat anybody, whatever your height is. You can even win an Olympics medal, even if you are the last entry in the field of 64, too. Again, as shown by a Mr. Paes. The old man is still playing. Sumit knows him :)
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

So is Lee the only player in history to best both Sampras and Federer without losing to either?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

rajitghosh wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:49 amSo is Lee the only player in history to best both Sampras and Federer without losing to either?
Not sure if he is the only one, but the list of names who are unbeaten in singles matches payed against those two cannot be too long.

He has 2 doubles wins also, against Sampras. He is 4-5 against Federer in doubles matches (including one at the Olympics QF). He is 1-0 against Becker with a double win (in a contentious match played in Germany where Becker called Lee "you little Indian sh*t"). He is 6-3 in doubles against Nadal. Altogether, 14-8 in matches against four greats of the game - Becker, Sampras, Federer, Nadal. I wonder if anybody has faced those 4 guys 22 times and won about 2/3rd of the matches, though most were in doubles.

But Lee was 0-3 (one doubles loss too) against Agassi and 0-1 against Chang, but those were two shorter players who were better at that game than Leander.