Sumit Nagal thread

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Sumit Nagal thread

Post by PKBasu »

Wonderful win for Sumit in a big ATP500 tourney qualifier. Another win will take him to 201, a career high.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Impressive win by Sumit, next #NexGen, Alejandro Davidovich Fokina.
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

I too agree that the next generation of kids would be better! There’s definitely more awareness in kids but I wish we train more coaches.

Btw, a good interview of Sumit's coach by Vatsal

https://indiantennisdaily.com/2019/07/2 ... mit-nagal/
S_K_S
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by S_K_S »

Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

prasen9 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:36 pm
gbelday wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:51 pm Yeah that’s because they never had that physical base to begin with. ... That’s not their fault.
Gautam hit the nail on the head. He has seen his son and I have seen my daughter train. I am sure Jay has seen his son train too. The culture here is to make the kids aware of building a good "physical base" irrespective of whether you are doing weightlifting or chess (okay, may be not general chess, but top-tier chess) and they are correct in doing so. I think India is changing and the next generation of kids will be better.
There is an argument that the US has gone too far in the direction of building a good physical base and specialization, kids are getting injured at record levels.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/271 ... all-crisis

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... 3f74363ab7
RohitG

Post by RohitG »

Sumit takes out Fokina in straight sets 6-3, 7-5. He qualifies for the main draw.
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

Brilliant news. Well done.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Terrific victory for Sumit over one of the hottest young players on clay this year! Sumit’s first serve percentage was a very high 80% in the match. Fabulous!
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

Sin Hombre wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:05 am
prasen9 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:36 pm
gbelday wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:51 pm Yeah that’s because they never had that physical base to begin with. ... That’s not their fault.
Gautam hit the nail on the head. He has seen his son and I have seen my daughter train. I am sure Jay has seen his son train too. The culture here is to make the kids aware of building a good "physical base" irrespective of whether you are doing weightlifting or chess (okay, may be not general chess, but top-tier chess) and they are correct in doing so. I think India is changing and the next generation of kids will be better.
There is an argument that the US has gone too far in the direction of building a good physical base and specialization, kids are getting injured at record levels.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/271 ... all-crisis

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... 3f74363ab7

Too much training or no training are both recipes for disaster. Training has to be scientific, age appropriate and progressive. The goal at younger ages is to build habits. Training involves proper warm up routines, mobility exercises, agility, strength (either with body weights or weights depending on their age), rolling, stretching and proper cool down. All of them with proper supervision.

If you miss any of these or don’t do them properly, then you have to deal with the consequences. I don’t follow what a lot of basketball coaches in the US do but our high school coaches do a great job. They are state champs for a reason. But I’ve also seen poor coaching in some town leagues. I’ve heard stories from friends about coaches making them run 50 laps if they missed free throws. That to me is silly and again a recipe for disaster.

Btw, my boys spent a few weeks this past summer in a tennis camp in Europe and the kids there (their age) are in supreme physical shape. They seemed very disciplined and followed a routine that was so impressive to watch. My older one spent all his fitness time there with the younger age group even though his tennis was much better than theirs. They are way too strict than the Americans about that physical base although the USTA has been doing a better job lately.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Fantastic couple of wins by Sumit. Beating 2 top 150 European players in straight sets ( one of whom had qualified for French open main draw) indicates that Sumit may be playing at top 100 level on clay currently. As of now these wins will take him inside top 200 for the first time in his career. :clap:

Putting the result in our usual format -

At Hamburg Euoropean Open, Germany (ATP 500) (Clay)

[Q2] Sumit Nagal (IND,205) d. (3) Alejandra Dadovich Fokina (ESP,128) 63 75

With that win, this week we will have 3 players playing main draw ATP and WTA events this week - Sumit at Hamburg, Prajnesh at Atlanta and Ankita at Jurmala.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Live rankings show Sumit still at 207.
He has a tough R1 match against Richard Gasquet.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Fantabulous! BTW, he is Alejandro not Alejandra :D
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Yes, a fantastic win by Sumit over #nexgen Fokina.

jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

In the first round, Sumit is having a tough match against a very experienced and a former top-10 player, Richard Gasquet.

At € 1.8M Hamburg European Open 2019, Germany

[R1] (Q) Sumit Nagal (IND,205) vs Richard Gasquet (FRA,50)
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Gasquet is ranked 65 this week, his ranking seemingly in free fall at the age of 33 -- while Sumit has risen to his career-high ranking of 194 (in the live rankings, updated now at the start of a new tournament). Gasquet has a 8-7 win-loss record this year, so definitely a chance for Sumit to gain a big scalp/upset.
Among others, Gasquet had a narrow 76 75 win over Alejandro Davidovich Folkina at the Madrid Masters earlier this year. Sumit of course beat the same young player rather more easily in his latest match at the German Open qualifiers...