Sumit Nagal thread

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

Rajiv
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Sumit Nagal thread

Post by Rajiv »

With his Banglore points falling off and unable to defend them , Sumit has slid to 485 in the live rankings.

Now on wards It is going to be tough arduous task for him to rise up in the ranks
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

He lost in the first round of Pune challenger too against top seed Radu Albot.

He will fall to around 485 in the next ranking update on Monday. But, in the ATP shadow rankings ( as per new ranking system from 2019), his current live ranking is significantly better at 337. That means he has earned a lot more points from challengers vis a vis futures as compared to some of the others who would be ranked higher than him in current ATP rankings. New ranking system will certainly benefit the likes of Sumit and Mulund who have mainly played on challenger tour this year avoiding futures.

With increased challenger draw sizes, a ranking of 337 would be good enough to get entry into challengers at least in Asia and hopefully he can build on it by winning some rounds in early part of next year when he does not have too many points to defend.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

sameerph wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:50 am benefit the likes of Sumit and Mulund
Mulund :p , than you can add Thane to that list ;)
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Oops, it is is Mukund. :D
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Sumit's take on his this year's performance ... He is a confidant on improvement in his performance.

Why Nagal could not build on Bengaluru Open success
After the high of Bengaluru Open (2017), Nagal changed his base to Javea (close to Valencia) in Spain, where he worked with David Ferrer's brother Javier.

This was because his favourite people at Waske Academy - Mariano and Yakub - were not there anymore.
The shift upset his training style and he lost crucial five months from February to June.

"Javier had different vision. It took us time to start trusting each other on tennis court but that trust never came, maybe because I was not performing well. It could have been my fault, or his fault. It just did not click."

"There were some patterns where he wanted me to hit, say C before a ball but I wanted to hit B. Then there were shoulder and hip injuries. I don't know why. So If I am injured, what will he do?"

Nagal said he was keen to train with Milos Galecic from last year but due to the Serbian's prior commitments, it could not happen. But since September, he is with him in Paine, Germany.

"I have been playing well since then. Tennis is not a problem," he said, adding that his immediate goal is to make French Open Qualifiers this year.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Sumit is playing in the German challenger and facing the top-10 ITF ranked Russian Safiullin in the first round.

At $54K+H Koblenz Challenger 2019, Germany

[R1] Sumit Nagal (IND,361) vs (ITF) Roman Safiullin (RUS,8)
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Sumit got thrashed in straight sets.

At $54K+H Koblenz Challenger 2019, Germany

[R1] Sumit Nagal (IND,347) l. Roman Safiullin (RUS,335, ITF-8) 26 16

Saifiullin is a fellow 21 year old who was the Australian open junior champion in 2015. He also won 5 futures titles last year and is mostly underranked at ATP level because he has not played too many challengers. But, still the scoreline is a disappointment for Sumit.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Sumit's career is going nowhere.
suresh

Post by suresh »

Sin Hombre wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:49 am Sumit's career is going nowhere.
It is going somewhere. Sadly that is downhill.
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

suresh wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:02 am
Sin Hombre wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:49 am Sumit's career is going nowhere.
It is going somewhere. Sadly that is downhill.
He 1s 21 now and should be peaking in another year. Hopefully his coaching issue is settled now. 2019 is when he should be moving up. Our pipeline for India DC is starting to crater.

Prof
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yes, Sumit had had issues with coaches and also with injury. Hope that is past him now. I saw most part of his match against Safiullin and he did not really play badly. The opponent was really in a zone and was blasting winners from all over the court.

For Sumit, it is really tough decision to make if he wants to be a ball basher ( the way which does not work all the time but with which he won the Bangalore challenger in 2017) or a retriever in Somdev mould with his quickness around the court. At the moment, it looks like a bit of both. Hope he finds the right strategy and more importantly to get his game back on track soon. He has time on his side.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Sumit needs to get determined to bash the ball. That won't work all the time, but go for it. He is damn good when he does that. Maybe the court conditions need to help for it to work, but he will do well in every 4 or 5 events, which is better than what he has been doing the whole of last year. Then slowly start bringing in additional elements to the game like retrieving. I think he has the shots and quickness to be a retriever. Learning to mix it up is tough, but going with what is his strength and then working in other things is, in my opinion, a better strategy right now. Otherwise, he is neither here nor there, and will lose most matches. He can't let his ranking tank for ever like this. He needs to hit the winner ultimately to win points, so go for it, damnit! Throw caution to the winds and play like he can. Just my unsolicited, uneducated, opinion :)

It is like Sunil Gavaskar getting into a funk in his career for a long time, and finally deciding to go for it at one point with 2 sixers back to back on Michael Holding with pull shots, which he was good at in his young age but had canned as a dangerous shot for a decade. If I am not totally forgetting things, his career flourished again after that. Sometimes, one needs to just break things open and get something to happen.

Jay
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

jayakris wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:45 pm Sumit needs to get determined to bash the ball. That won't work all the time, but go for it. He is damn good when he does that. Maybe the court conditions need to help for it to work, but he will do well in every 4 or 5 events, which is better than what he has been doing the whole of last year. Then slowly start bringing in additional elements to the game like retrieving. I think he has the shots and quickness to be a retriever. Learning to mix it up is tough, but going with what is his strength and then working in other things is, in my opinion, a better strategy right now. Otherwise, he is neither here nor there, and will lose most matches. He can't let his ranking tank for ever like this. He needs to hit the winner ultimately to win points, so go for it, damnit! Throw caution to the winds and play like he can. Just my unsolicited, uneducated, opinion :)

It is like Sunil Gavaskar getting into a funk in his career for a long time, and finally deciding to go for it at one point with 2 sixers back to back on Michael Holding with pull shots, which he was good at in his young age but had canned as a dangerous shot for a decade. If I am not totally forgetting things, his career flourished again after that. Sometimes, one needs to just break things open and get something to happen.

Jay
Totally agree Jay. I see the nexgen players and they are all big-time bashers - a lot of the time you can be a big-time basher (like Naomi Osaka is) with a combination of strength and timing. Zverev stands out in this area. Didnt know about Gavaskar's situation, thanks for pointing it out!
When I was young, I went for the lines on everything, going by Laver's advice to "never temporize" and had good success winning Karnataka State and several other tournaments. Laver's advice was that when one is down, to actually come out hitting harder and taking more risks instead of retreating into defensive mode. This is how, from 2 sets down against Premjit Lal in one match, Laver bashed his way out over the next three sets, even bageling Lal in the final set!

I see the Fed doing very similar things - enough said about Nadal who is unstoppable at the moment.

Prof
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Jay, that’s nothing but your old “don’t think” strategy for Sania repackaged. :D
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Sumit is finally getting a chance to play somewhere. He has got into main draw entry of list of a $54K+H challenger on clay in Santiago,Chile next week and has traveled all the way there for this tournament. There do not seem to be any followup tournaments in South America post next week. So, it will be a costly trip for Sumit especially if he does not win at least 2-3 rounds. But, then he is hardly getting too many chances with his current ranking to get into challengers ( with short qualifying draws). So, good that he has taken his chance here.