Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Sumit Nagal thread

Post by jayakris »

Hey, I have never blamed the "someone" for doing it, and I am quite impressed with how he has handled the baptism by fire. My compaint was about those who gave him the "messy advice", which was really too gung-ho and foolish, in my view. I hope no kid tries to do that. But the boy has enough drive to keep going with it, though I feel bad for his missing all the exposure he could have had to various places, courts, surfaces and conditions on the junior tour, where he would have quite easily made the grand slam juniors and several top grade-1 events. That is all part of the learning process to get well-rounded and be ready to play in the same conditions against tour pros later. Instead the advisors wanted to try to scorched earth scheme of assuming that he will do what Nadal did.... Anyway, I have said enough on that. As long as the boy comes through in the end, all is well. He seems to be doing OK. Jay
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

Excellent work by young Sumit Nagal to qualify into the Canadian Open junior main draw. Nagal just turned 15 on 16th August this year, so he is right on track. Winning a couple of rounds at the Canadian and US open would reaffirm his potential.
Saniapower

Post by Saniapower »

Sumit Nagal is the boy to watch. HUGE potential. I have seen him go for his shots with no fear whatsoever. He goes for his shots and success rate pretty good, Fearless fighter.
prashanthm

Post by prashanthm »

Canadian Open Jr Ch - Grade 1 - Hard

Sumit is in the doubles MD and his team will be up against a local pair in R1...

[R1] Sumit Nagal (IND) / Burundi Hassan Ndayishimiye (BDI) v. Philippe Courteau (CAN) / Canada Olivier Gingras (CAN)
that he will do what Nadal did...
He hopefully masters the scorched earth, which will prove to be valuable considering the number of high profile tournaments played on the surface.....
prashanthm

Post by prashanthm »

Talking about potential & the right steps, Sumit is currently 3rd in the rankings for players who are born 1997 & after..

Code: Select all

60 	KANG, Ku Keon 	KOR 	02 Jan 1997
70 	KOZLOV, Stefan 	USA 	01 Feb 1998
131 	NAGAL, Sumit 	IND 	16 Aug 1997
136 	SAFIULLIN, Roman 	RUS 	07 Aug 1997
161 	JASIKA, Omar 	AUS 	18 May 1997
149 	ZVEREV, Alexander 	GER 	20 Apr 1997
182 	HONG, Seong Chan 	KOR 	30 Jun 1997
206 	YAMASAKI, Jumpei 	JPN 	02 Jul 1997
225 	RUBLEV, Andrey 	RUS 	20 Oct 1997
prashanthm

Post by prashanthm »

Sumit lost his Singles match in straight sets...

[R1] (Q) Sumit Nagal (IND,131) l. (WC) Hugo Di Feo (CAN,120) 46 26

Sumit won his doubles match quite comfortably.....
Next up against the 7th seeded pair, who got a R1 bye, in Doubles R2... :goodluck:

[R1] Sumit Nagal (IND) / Burundi Hassan Ndayishimiye (BDI) d. Philippe Courteau (CAN) / Canada Olivier Gingras (CAN) 63 61
[R2] Sumit Nagal (IND) / Burundi Hassan Ndayishimiye (BDI) v. (7) Gabriel Friedrich (BRA) / Yoshihito Nishioka (JPN)
prashanthm

Post by prashanthm »

Sumit & his partner lost their doubles R2 match to the 7th seeded pair in straight sets... End of a decent week where Sumit got one win in Singles Qualifying & another in Doubles Main draw...

[R2] Sumit Nagal (IND) / Burundi Hassan Ndayishimiye (BDI) l. (7) Gabriel Friedrich (BRA) / Yoshihito Nishioka (JPN) 46 57

He is currently close to his career best combined jr ranking at 119.
Will have to wait & see how he performs at the USO Jr Qualies..... :goodluck:
prashanthm

Post by prashanthm »

Sumit Nagal qualifies for the USO 2012 Jr Championships after defeating the 6th seeded player & the 11th seeded player, both 3 years older than him...... :clap:
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Sumit is making big news on the circuit with his performance and getting opportunities of rubbing shoulders with some big names.

Here r few videos.

14 year old Sumit Nagal practice with Canadian Davis Cup Team - Nov 2011

Sumit Nagal and Mahesh Bhupathi Physical Training - Feb 2012

Sumit Nagal Practice With Milos Raonic - Aug 2012
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I hate that kind of hype on players. Who they practice with is what I hate most, usually. Show results. that's what matters. Sumit is doing that. That's all I care for. Go Sumit!! Jay
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Who he practices with is irrelevant, except for a personal scrapbook (and perhaps a few pointers about the work habits and hitting style of the high-ranked players).

But marvelous to see Sumit qualifying into the main draw of both the Canadian Open and the US Open in the month in which he turned 15. Of course, a qualifier almost by definition runs into a high seed early in the main draw, but the experience of qualifying in should stand the youngster in very good stead.
vk2052

Post by vk2052 »

This hype is intentionally created by Globosport of Mahesh, as they are now handling sumit. It may be good for him to get sponsors. Mahesh is master of creating hype.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Good performance indeed by Sumit in qualifying for the US open at this young age. Hopeully, with Mahesh's globosports behind him, he will get the right opportunities & would get the right advice. He has a tough first round coming up against a top 10 player but he has nothing to lose & should go all out.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

I think it could inspire the likes of Sumit to play against Milos Raonic and other top players. Don't see any downside to it. However, the results count and Sumit is also showing good results.

In the video clip with Raonic (in Aug 2012), he seems to have a decent physique and also seems pretty light on his feet. So he certainly seems to have the complementary tools to help his tennis skills reach their full potential.
preetsingh1981

Post by preetsingh1981 »

Any update on how he did in the main draw?