Shivika Burman

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

rajorshi
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Shivika Burman

Post by rajorshi »

22 yr old Shivika won her 1st ITF title at Dijbouti, earlier today. In the final she beat 5th seeded Magarita Lazareva 7-5 0-6 6-3! Quite a gutsy play from this dimunitive Calcuttan! Here are the scorelines of all her matches:

RD1 bt MARIANA DRAZIC 6-0 7-5
RD2 bt DIANA ISAEVA (2) 3-6 6-0 6-3
QF bt GOPIKA KAPOOR (7) 4-2 retired
SF bt POOJASHREE VENKATESHA (3) 6-4 6-4
F bt MARGARITA LAZAREVA (5) 7-5 0-6 6-3

Shivika faced her the toughest challenge in the final and came through it! Hope she betters her highest rankin of 682 in 2012.
Last edited by rajorshi on Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Re: Shivika Burman

Post by jayakris »

We waste no time starting threads, eh? .. Cool! .. But isn't she a "kolkatan"? Jay
rajorshi

Post by rajorshi »

You don't seem to be in a very good mood today, Jay. I started the thread as hardly anyone congratulated her in the tournaments thread. And in general, people here are a bit biased against gals. There is a thread for Ramkumar Ramanathan against the 'forum rule' but none for Sharmada Balu who has already won a title this year.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

People are congratulating her on the general thread. This is the start of the busier holiday period for many, and they may read thing only slowly.

Sorry, I guess my post sounded bad? Untintentional. I was happy to see the thread. I always forget to start threads but like it if one of you do it when there is a reason for it. But as we always say, threads get started basically if there are people wanting to discuss things. No hard rules on any of that. Don't want to see specific-name threads get stuck at 4 or 5 posts, move down, and then disappear way down the list later, that's all. It's better in that case for the news/discussion posts about the player to be in the general threads where people might at least see the posts when they look back for something else.

As for the Ramkumar thread, he had some interesting junior results and that is why PKB started it (saying "it may be premature" -- the thread stayed because lots of people kept discussing him and his somewhat different career path). Shivika didn't have that kind of results in the juniors (well, actually she did - in a couple of events in the US if I remember correctly, but nobody got too excited for whatever reason, I don't know why). Anyway, as she had not created waves for so long since the juniors 4 years back, people would first be surprised about what she did this week, and would probably wait to see her keep doing similar things. Also, I think there is a general feeling that some of the $10K titles on the girls's side are easier to win (not all) compared to those on the men's side - where most are tough events. So people don't always get as excited. Not a bias against girls, but a bit more due to depth difference between men's and women's tours.

You are right that Sharmada deserves a thread. Her title went relatively unnoticed here, though she beat some very good players (2 or 3 top-500 types) - may be because it was on grass and people wrote it off as a one-week surprise, as girls rarely play on grass. Those people would probably even feel justified now about not getting too excited, because she has not done much since that event either. I really hope for that to change, though - she too has had injuries pulling her back. Anyway, Shivika's wins this week were over lower ranked players (none in top-700, I think). So don't expect people to start jumping up and down yet. I am pretty happy with Shivika's excellent run this week - and I was mostly impressed with her win over Poojashree who is capable of playing top-350 quality tennis despite her ranking being quite a bit lower.

Thread or not, I think we should always celebrate and congratulate the players when they start to do well. The least we can do for them is to show excitement. Lord knows that hardly much attention is paid by most fans to those who persevere at the lower ends of the tour. Shivika has indeed stayed with her program and not given up - and for that is what I congratulate her first!

Jay
rajorshi

Post by rajorshi »

Exactly! And Shivika did represent India in the grand slam juniors! She deserves her thread now. Was a bit pissed off by your 'thread' remark. Achievers don't deserve sarcasm. And hence I called it 'bad'. And yes there was just 1 player from top 700 in this event but considering the fact that Shivika was unseeded, its quite a feat. Bdw Balu missed many tournaments as she was training in Spain. She played some good matches at Solapur and Pune. Hopefully we will see more from these youngers in 2012!
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

May be you didn't see the "Cool" that I had in my post above? That was specifically to show that I found that to be a "cool thing" to start the thread.. Anyway, added two periods and an exclamation around the word, to avoid any misunderstanding. Jay
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

She has never won more than a match in the main draws of the futures tournaments over the last two years and here she surprised us all with a title. I am quite excited and happy for her, congratulation Shivika.

Although the competition is not as tough as we expect from a $10K tournament, I am happy that her perseverance over the years paid off. And it was definitely not an easy or lucky win, she had to beat 4 seeded players en route to the title. It was not as if some one had upset a top seed and then made her route easy. She had to do the giant killing act and she did it in style. Congratulation again to Shivika :clap: :clap:
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Congratulations to 22 year old Shivika Burman to win her first ITF title. Although the field was weak, Shivika did well to beat higher ranked players & go thru.

She had not done well this year so far but she has travelled & played at places such as Finland , Romania & Alegeria on clay. I think the grind of playing there seems to have toughened her game which would have helped her this week.

Hopefully, she will build on this success & rise up fast in the rankings.
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

Congratulations to Shivika.

This was a truly gutsy performance, beating the second, fourth and fifth seed on the way to the title (as an unseeded player herself). She came from a bagel second set loss, to beat the second seed 63 06 63 -- suggesting that she has good reserves of grit. May she go from strength to strength!
suresh
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by suresh »

Congratulations to Shivika.

@rajorshi Anybody can start a thread.
rajorshi

Post by rajorshi »

I know that Suresh! Bdw any idea why Shivika's ranking has fallen in both singles and doubles??
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

rajorshi wrote:I know that Suresh! Bdw any idea why Shivika's ranking has fallen in both singles and doubles??
That is because points for futures level ITF events get updated a week later in the WTA rankings. So, her 12 points from last week's title will go into rankings next week & she should move up significiantly.
rajorshi

Post by rajorshi »

Shivika is currently ranked 833, a jump of about 100 places! Not far from her career best of 688. :D
Meanwhile Rutuja has made a giant leap of about 300 places. She is ranked 790!!! (Since she does not have her own thread, I am compelled to share it here). Keep going girls!!!