Ramkumar Ramanathan thread

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

Dinesh
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Ramkumar Ramanathan thread

Post by Dinesh »

^^^ But, why is an underarm serve that repelling that we have to call him a worse ass when it’s not illegal as per the rulebook? Would we consider Michael Chang as one, too? And Kyrgios, of course, does it too often than anyone in the tour. :devil:
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

An underarm serve is fine. And, if you hit it out, you don't ask for respect for your game. Respect for a fellow human being and tennis player is always a must.
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

Sin Hombre wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:56 pm I wouldn't throw racism around lightly.

Ram has a history of being annoying and Bublik might well be right in that he has earned that reputation. Obviously, Bublik doesn't come off well here either.
Racism is everywhere, and we saw it very openly in cricket for years. Now that the Aussies cannot get away with it, they squeal about the same thing that they perfected. Typical bully attitude.

Can you cite previous examples of what Ram has done?
His supposed behavior issues is news to me.

As JayaKris said, It seems more likely that Bublik said that as a way to get back at RR like kids do in high school "everyone hates you".
Last edited by Sanjay on Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sanjay

Post by Sanjay »

jayakris wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:04 pm ... And in any event, ramK should cut that out and make a good effort to stop saying "come on" and fist-pumping when the other guy makes a mistake. In reality, it is often not celebrating the mistake, but acknowledging the other guy's mistake-free play - like, "phew; I got one point! This guy never misses one and I got lucky" (in fact, many top players know this; and don't mind when the other guy, whom you are dominating, celebrates a mistake from you). In any case, one should never do this when one is on top in a match and the other guy who is struggling makes a mistake. That is a big no-no. That seems to not be the case in this match; and Bublik was being a punk, trying to do "shush" to ramK when he was beating RamK anyway. And he is a worse ass, for that underarm BS at the end.
I agree with you.
The other aspect to this is any kind of untoward behavior is tolerated when the player is a Top 10 player. Lower ranked players are not given the same long rope. Not saying that RR has any behavior issues, he is probably doing what he needs to in order to motivate himself. I have not heard of him getting into pangas with any other player.

I don't understand this concept of demanding respect. Baseball players do it a lot, they seem to be perpetually offended and resentful at something the opposing player did. And they start throwing punches about it. Underarm serve is legal, though I do not think it is fair. Since it is legal, RR should find a way to make the opposing player pay for pulling that stunt. If Bublik behaves badly, it reflects on him, so when is the occasion to demand respect? Best way to get respect is to work hard and become Top 10 in the world. Until then it is best to stay quiet and keep working hard.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Someone complained about Ramkumar's grunting on reddit.
RohitG

Post by RohitG »

Prasen, RamK didnt "demand respect" from his opponent. He used the word because he was given a sermon on "how to respect your opponent" and RamK retaliated by saying it's you who should be respecting etc. I saw the whole match yesterday. First set there was no issue, second set till 2-2 it all appeared fine. I think the whole thing got escalated from the fifth game onwards (in the 2nd set) You guys can judge for yourself.

Full match
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Got it. Thanks.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I just realized that if RamK had just an etra U in his name, he could have had a long name that would be a nice Indian name backward too.

Nathan Amar Ramukumar :)

(Well, almost... I cheated a bit :) )
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

RohitG wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:50 am Prasen, RamK didnt "demand respect" from his opponent. He used the word because he was given a sermon on "how to respect your opponent" and RamK retaliated by saying it's you who should be respecting etc. I saw the whole match yesterday. First set there was no issue, second set till 2-2 it all appeared fine. I think the whole thing got escalated from the fifth game onwards (in the 2nd set) You guys can judge for yourself.

Full match
Thanks Rohit.. for bringing it to notice..
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

jayakris wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:31 am I just realized that if RamK had just an etra U in his name, he could have had a long name that would be a nice Indian name backward too.

Nathan Amar Ramukumar :)

(Well, almost... I cheated a bit :) )
Huh, this is cool. Almost a palindrome (with an edit distance of 1).
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

RamK is in the entry list for couple of challengers in Oeiras, Portugal for the next couple of weeks. Good choice by him, he will be among top 4 seeds. Simiar level challengers in Spain and Croatia in those week, he would have barely made it in as one of the last direct accepetances.

Not sure where he will play after that. Not entered anywhere in the week of April 12. Not an easy schedule to make for Indian players with all the challenger in Asia off and everything on clay in Europe and South America.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

RamK is third seed in Portugal but lets see how he fares on red clay, not his favorite surface.

At Oeiras 1 challenger 80, Portugal (Red Clay)

[R1] (3) Ramkumar Ramanathan (IND,195) vs. Mats Moraing (GER,272)

RamK has lost to Moraing both the times they have met in straight sets.But, Moraing who was ranked at a career high of 148 in 2018 has played only 1 match this year in the Australian open qualies which he lost tamely. So, he will be a bit rustry. Hope RamK can take advantage.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

RamK pulled out due to medical reasons. Today seems to be the day of injury pullouts for us. :-(
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

He also pulled out of the doubles draw. Hope this is not covid related?
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

Ram Ram! Hope that there is no damage to the RamParts for the Ramifications might affect his progRam.