Ramkumar Ramanathan thread

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

bujilover
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Ramkumar Ramanathan thread

Post by bujilover »

After losing in the FQR to Yuki at IW, Ramkumar skipped Irving/Drummondville CH. It looks like he will play Miami Q and move to Europe to play the Marbella CH in Spain for Miami week-2.
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

Not sure I would have skipped the challenger but he must have his reasons. He seems to be adopting a different approach to last year when he was playing non-stop.
Varma
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Varma »

Qualifying into Miami main-draw and winning a round will fetch you almost as many points as making it to the Qarter-finals at Irving Challenger, not to mention the monetary benefit which is manyfold. I think he did the right thing by skipping this week and staying afresh for Miami. I am sure Yuki's good show this week inspired him to do better next week.

- Varma
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

But, he has not played too many matches at all of late. 6 matches in last 1 month. I am sure he would not have got tired by a couple of matches more at Texas this week and if he had gone deep here the rewards are quite good too in terms of points and money.
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

Disappointing result for RamK in Miami as he lost in 1st round of qualifying. Unfortunate that he couldn't make the main draw at either IW or Miami. Hasn't been a good start of the year so he needs some confidence building wins to get him back to the level of last year.

[Q1] (22) Ramkumar Ramanathan (IND,136) l. Michael Mmoh (USA,176) 67(4) 46
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Not really bad start to the year for RamK. He has been playing at a higher level so far this playing only ATP main tour events thru qualifiers and no challengers which makes it hard for him. But, overall he has notched up 56 points this year reaching AO final qualifying round and a main draw ATP win in Pune - 4 wins so far over players ranked between 100 and 160. At this point last year, he had just 3 ATP points earned thru futures.

It is after April last year that RamK started to have some success at challenger level. So, now will be a challenge for him to try to defend those points.
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

I was hoping for some movement to the next level rather than just maintaining hence the "not a good start" comment. What I don't want to happen is that his ranking falls and he isn't able to play ATP qualies.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

In the month of April, Ram has to defend 57 points out of which 15 points he has already defended in Marbella.
Remaining 42 he should have no problem in defending them in Taipei & China.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yes, he is at a career high ranking of 132 this week.

As Rajeev said, 57 points to defend in April. If he is able to defend that in Taiwan/China challenger, he can move ahead as he no points to defend in May.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Yes Sameer , 57 points in April out of which 15 have been defended in Marbella , so only 42 to defend in April and 3 Qf's in Taipei & 2 challengers in China should be enough to protect those 42 points..And should he achieve more than Qf's results at these 3 challengers which he is well capable off , it would only raise his ranking more higher.

I am not sure about points for DC , will he earn points for DC ? and if he earns DC points in China , then those also could be valuable. But if they come through that would be only at the end of the year if I am correct

In May he does need to defend 18 points in the last week of May for the Futures win in Singapore 1 .

And in June there are bucket full of points to be defended, 85 in all , bulk of which come from 18 of Singapore 2 Futures & 57 of Antalya.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Rajiv wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:22 pm Yes Sameer , 57 points in April out of which 15 have been defended in Marbella , so only 42 to defend in April and 3 Qf's in Taipei & 2 challengers in China should be enough to protect those 42 points..And should he achieve more than Qf's results at these 3 challengers which he is well capable off , it would only raise his ranking more higher.

I am not sure about points for DC , will he earn points for DC ? and if he earns DC points in China , then those also could be valuable. But if they come through that would be only at the end of the year if I am correct
But, those 15 are already included in his current ranking of 132. So, now in a sense he needs to defend all 57 if he has to maintain his current ranking of 132.

No points for DC now. They had introduced them few year back for world group and world group playoffs ( not Zonal gorup ties) but now even those are discontinued.
sportsfan

Post by sportsfan »

After breaking into top 200 (the third time) in July 2017, RamK hasn't looked back and has steadily climbed up the rankings. Knowing what improvements he needs to make (return of serve and the backhand), if he gets better in those areas I don't see a reason why he can't keep it going and get into top 100.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I don’t see any reason why Ramkumar will not be top-100 before the end of next month. He has a solid game now, with the backhand flank no longer a serious weakness (so he doesn’t need to run around and convert everything into a forehand shot). His serve (quite reminiscent of Vijay’s, only with a more pronounced initial downward movement of the torso) is a solid strength that will stand him in good stead at the ATP level. This past week, he showed just how well-deserved his current ranking is.

RamK’s on-court personality can sometimes grate (as with his pumped up celebrations when he beat Somdev at the Chennai Open), but this non-Gandhian approach is precisely what’ll take him far on the pro tour. It is good to be passionate and animated. The phlegmatic approach of a Yuki or Saketh has its limitations!
sanjay5goel

Post by sanjay5goel »

I don't think that Yuki's can be called phlegmatic. Saketh's - quite likely can be categorized thus but not Yuki.

Hare Krishna!
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

RamK is at a career high ranking of #116 now. From mid last year, RamK has really shown a step up in terms of performances at challenger level. Prior to that, RamK had some trouble winning more than couple of matches in a week at challenger level and therefore had to mix in futures with challengers to maintain his schedule. That is gone now with 4 challenger finals in last 12 months. The last futures points in his kitty for 2 Singapore titles will go out of his ranking tally in June.

His next target would be top 100 and making grand slam main draws. If one looks at the possibilities for Wimbledon this year, the cut off date is 28th May. Before that, RamK has 57 points to defend before that. So, RamK will have to get a huge 175 points to defend those and earn enough points to get into top 100. Looks a tall order to do in about 4 weeks of play. Probably more realistic for him to do so by US open this year.