Poojashree Venkatesha thread ...

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

gbelday
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: $ 10K ITF Women Bangalore, Delhi, Dehardun - Sept. 7, 14, 21

Post by gbelday »

knarayen wrote:
gbelday wrote:Yes, I agree with PKB. This is definitely one case where I would say lack of sponsorhip has impeded her progress. I remember talking at length with her dad few years ago about how she was passed over many times to other "deserving" candidates. Her dad mentioned at that time that GVK group had showed some interest but a deal was alteast 8 months away (I think she has a deal with them now, not exactly sure on the specifics though). That basically is 8 months less travel to other countries to play tournaments. I would still like to see her do well outside India. I think with the food and the change in environment, she is going to find it a bit challenging. She is a vegetarian, from what I recall. Well, I am glad to see her translate that talent into some positive results and hopefully the only way now is up.
If we are able to contact her dad, maybe we can point him to tournaments in the US where Poojashree can start playing. Also, they need to consider a training program at Bolletieri's where she gets exposure to players at a different level. All this costs money, but proposals need to be put in front of GVK to get the funding needed to move forward. Sania's dad I'm sure worked diligently to get these proposals in place - things dont happen automatically anywhere - one has to work to get the money, and before they do that, they need to have a plan. Without a plan, nothing happens.

Prof
I think a stint at Bolletieri's was being talked about with GVK group but I am not a big fan of that academy. I actually asked him the on how he thought Pooja can succeed without proper structured physical conditioning program in the long run and he said he was hoping to get her into running and get her to a state where she could do 3-4 10ks a week. I am not sure if that's what they did. I should probably check in with Sunil Yajaman. I don't think Poojashree is that computer savvy. She sent me a mail 2 years ago but I haven't seen her communicate much through emails. She even has a facebook account but doesn't look like she is active there.
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

gbelday wrote:
knarayen wrote:
gbelday wrote: I think a stint at Bolletieri's was being talked about with GVK group but I am not a big fan of that academy. I actually asked him the on how he thought Pooja can succeed without proper structured physical conditioning program in the long run and he said he was hoping to get her into running and get her to a state where she could do 3-4 10ks a week. I am not sure if that's what they did. I should probably check in with Sunil Yajaman. I don't think Poojashree is that computer savvy. She sent me a mail 2 years ago but I haven't seen her communicate much through emails. She even has a facebook account but doesn't look like she is active there.
This is the kind of ad-hoc thinking that can destroy a player's career. As a first step, if Sunil Yajaman is her coach, I'm sure he already has a conditioning program in place - but this program needs to be ramped up with the help of an ATP-level trainer and a coach who understands the requirements of the larger ATP tour. This transition needs to be managed carefully so that Sunil can continue to be her coach in India, while an ATP-tour experienced coach is used for her Futures and Challengers preparation.

I cannot overemphasize these things - this is a professional ATP tour that we are talking about here - imagine that you are training a talented physicist and you are putting him/her into a program at one of the leading physics research programs without adequate preparation with a PhD and post-doc experience, what will happen to that physicist? He/she will definitely fail in the research program. Preparation for the ATP tour is no different - why dont parents and the tennis establishment in India not understand even these basics?

Prof
Saniapower
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Saniapower »

India's 2nd best Poojashree Venkatesha is in the quali list for the 50K Pune itf in 2 weeks time. But in all probability she will get a WC. Strong field!Tamarine Tanasugaron of Thailand(2008 Wimbledon semifinalist) has entered for the event! But no Sania Mirza!
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Re: Poojashree Venkatesha thread ...

Post by sameerph »

The last date of withdrawel is not yet over for Pune challanger & in updated list, Poojashree has comfortably made in into maon drawe & will not need a wild card. Sanaa & Rusmi are also very close to making the main draw.

Sania does not have anything to gain from playing here. Even winning a title here would move her at most a couple of spots up in the rankings.
Saniapower

Post by Saniapower »

sameerph wrote:The last date of withdrawel is not yet over for Pune challanger & in updated list, Poojashree has comfortably made in into maon drawe & will not need a wild card. Sanaa & Rusmi are also very close to making the main draw.

Sania does not have anything to gain from playing here. Even winning a title here would move her at most a couple of spots up in the rankings.
She begged for WC in the US hard court season. :damn: Could not a hit a single ball on her the most favorite surfaces. 100 odd points could have taken her further close to 50, thus increasing her chances to get direct entry in many big events of 2010. Of course these points do count. But to be honest her schedule is beyond my understanding ability. She is ready to travel all the way to the US and Canada to play 50K challengers but not interested in the same challenger at home :roll:
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

She is giving her wrist a break now, saniapower. Allow her to do that. It is a good thing.

I would be mad if she showed up at Pune, instead of resting completely. Even 100 pts are important, like you said - and that was why she went to the Canada challengers and fought for 10 matches (why are you blaming her for that?) - at a time when I think she was unsure if she was in shape to seriously challenge WTA tour players (and I am sure she found the challenger matches tougher than she hoped for). If those Canada challenges were now, she wouldn't be playing there because this is the long break she needed. It is all in the timing.

Plus, of course, it is too much of hoopla when she plays in India and she is not particularly eager to deal with it, unless she has to. It is not all as easy as you think for a celebrity in India.

Jay
Saniapower

Post by Saniapower »

jayakris wrote:She is giving her wrist a break now, saniapower. Allow her to do that. It is a good thing.

I would be mad if she showed up at Pune, instead of resting completely. Even 100 pts are important, like you said - and that was why she went to the Canada challengers and fought for 10 matches (why are you blaming her for that?) - at a time when I think she was unsure if she was in shape to seriously challenge WTA tour players (and I am sure she found the challenger matches tougher than she hoped for). If those Canada challenges were now, she wouldn't be playing there because this is the long break she needed. It is all in the timing.

Plus, of course, it is too much of hoopla when she plays in India and she is not particularly eager to deal with it, unless she has to. It is not all as easy as you think for a celebrity in India.Jay
Ok, then she is doing the right thing.It didnt come at all in my mind while typing. i totally forgot this issue.
vparam

Post by vparam »

Saniapower wrote:
jayakris wrote:She is giving her wrist a break now, saniapower. Allow her to do that. It is a good thing.
Ok, then she is doing the right thing.It didnt come at all in my mind while typing. i totally forgot this issue.
Does anything ever come to your mind when you type? I doubt it!
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

:rofl: :rofl:
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Hey, he is just being a fan. An impatient and excited one who can get upset at his player. There are fans like that too ..

Damn, I am really soft on saniafan and mithuchelu, eh? :) ... Actually I like their spirit, even if they both say things that annoy people here including me..

Jay
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

You mean SaniaPower
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I mean saniapower, of course. Why are all this in the Poojashree thread anyway? :) Jay
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

jayakris wrote:I mean saniapower, of course. Why are all this in the Poojashree thread anyway? :) Jay
It's all Sania's fault, as always :)
Saniapower

Post by Saniapower »

Asian Hopman Cup 2009.
Vishnu Vardhan & Poojashree Venkatesh are India's pick.
Saniapower

Post by Saniapower »

Why there is still no thread for 50k Pune ITF?