Indians in US College Tennis

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

suresh
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Indians in US College Tennis

Post by suresh »

Rishabh may have graduated in 3 years given his superb academic record.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

Rishab Agarwal does not appear in the roaster for 2016-17 for Mississipi State university. So, it does look like he has quite college and turned pro.
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

sameerph wrote:Ronit Bisht in ranked #2 in Freshmen rankings. Hope he has a successful college career.
I just noticed that Ronit Bisht is in the qualifying list for the Houston 25k futures next week. Qualifying is Saturday through Monday with main draw starting Tuesday. If it is at a convenient time I will stop by & watch...
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

Ronit Bisht is still on the entry list for the Houston ITF, but doesn't appear in the qualifying draw or the order of play for qualies today. I don't know if he dropped out or moved up to the main draw (he was third out), but either way the website doesn't seem to have updated.

Will check again tomorrow.

Someone named Anirudh Yadav (listed as from India) is playing in the qualies today. Is this a player we track?
vatsal323

Post by vatsal323 »

Prashant wrote:Ronit Bisht is still on the entry list for the Houston ITF, but doesn't appear in the qualifying draw or the order of play for qualies today. I don't know if he dropped out or moved up to the main draw (he was third out), but either way the website doesn't seem to have updated.

Someone named Anirudh Yadav (listed as from India) is playing in the qualies today. Is this a player we track?
I don't think so. Never heard of him.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Anirudh Yadav is in the second year of study at Prairie View A&M University.

Anirudh Yadav - 2015-16 Men's Tennis
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Prashant wrote:Ronit Bisht is still on the entry list for the Houston ITF, but doesn't appear in the qualifying draw or the order of play for qualies today. I don't know if he dropped out or moved up to the main draw (he was third out), but either way the website doesn't seem to have updated.

There are 20 direct entrants in the main draw ( including 2 special exempts). As I see Ronit was 20th in the list in the last update. So, in all probability after clearance of 2 SE spots, he would have made the main draw.
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

Sameer, I am looking here: http://www.itftennis.com/procircuit/tou ... 1100037729

Is there a better source? Because you clearly have information that I am not finding...
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

It is the same source. If you look at the main draw there are 17 players listed. Usual direct entrants for a futures are - 18 direct entries, 2 Special exempts, 4 wild cards, 8 qualifiers. So, if there are no special exempts , there would be 20 who would directly make it in. So, Ronit is 3 out from 17 who are in, he would have made it in. :D

Many a times they do not update last minute changes in the entry lists on ITF. I hope I am clear now.
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

OK thanks. It looks like the schedule will only be posted day by day, with main draw beginning Tuesday. I will keep watching to locate both Yuki's & Ronit's matches.
Ram

Post by Ram »

jaydeep wrote:Anirudh Yadav is in the second year of study at Prairie View A&M University.

Anirudh Yadav - 2015-16 Men's Tennis
:Offtopic: Not so useful side note :-) ....Anirudh Yadav is a nephew of former India Cricketer Shivlal Yadav.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Why are we paying attention to Shivlal Yadav's nephew all of a sudden?? He goes to some obscure university called Prairview A&M in Texas, a historically African-American university but one that isn't particularly noted for its academic or sports achievements!

A quick search shows that Anirudh Yadav had played just a few matches in ITF junior events (qualifying) but never made the main draw. Anirudh Yadav, for instance, lost in the qualifying round of the Hyderabad ITF event (Grade 4) in 2013 (the last event reported for him on the ITF site for junior events). Anirudh Yadav was 17 then, and he lost 16 26 to 16-year-old Arjun Ramakrishnan (who happens to be Ram's son). Anirudh never managed to get an ITF junior ranking. Arjun Ramakrishnan had a career-high of 371 in the junior rankings. Ram, if you don't mind, please update us on Arjun's progress since: has he gone to college in the US? (It seems that way, since he has played ITF tournaments since June 2015, although he had earlier notched up a win over Siddharth Vishwakarma in the qualifying rounds of a Futures, and the latter has started doing quite well this year).
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Arjun Ramakrishnan is playing tennis at Morgan State University in Maryland. I hope this is helping his tennis game to develop. (Ram, feel free to ignore my questions if they are too intrusive).
Ram

Post by Ram »

Thanks PK for the enquiry. I'm happy to share my thoughts to the extent I can in a public forum if it helps someone.

I'm quite happy with where Arjun is presently. He had a couple of offers to better Universities wrt tennis and academics but we choose MSU since he will be in the top 3, playing matches. His Indian coach (ex US College athlete) felt US College tennis is an amazing experience for his tennis and personality and it was important for him to be in the thick of things rather than languish in the bench. Confirmed this fact with Somdev also.

High US college tennis standards are quite an eye opener. The best in the world land up here where the decision to go full time academics OR tennis can be postponed by a few more years w/o compromising on exposure. On one side a very lowly ranked tennis college has 4-5 member support staff working on the fitness, diet and tennis, on the other side there is no let up in academics just because he is a student athlete. Players do their assignments on flights and between matches. No wonder we see a lot of US players break into the professional circuit from college tennis OR carve a niche in the corporate world.

It has an ideal combination for restoring confidence in Indian Juniors who sacrifice their academic formative years because they need to criss cross the country to play week long tournaments throughout the year due to a flawed system. Some of Arjun's french teammates have never played ITF but are right up their in their tennis, playing local club tennis. Thats why I have begun to respect TN system of not giving too much "Bhav" for Junior results and bring an attitude that real tennis is Mens level amongst the kids :-) I also found the article on Negi interesting on this subject.

I dont have a great idea on what impact "tennis result" wise his first year has had, but I know he is in the best place in the world to figure this out himself. :-) I'm happy to see him giving his full effort for tennis and academics, from the interactions I have with him. Its time for me to focus on my tennis which is at an abysmal level now. Wonder if there is a slot for tennis parents who lost their way , in US colleges :-))) :p :p
suresh

Post by suresh »

Thank you Ram for providing us with some insight into the thought processes of a budding tennis player and his parent.