Moderator: Moderators

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Indians in US College Tennis

Post by sameerph »

Thanks, Dinesh for pulling out those detailed results on Kanika. I too am not too sure how the ranking work but from some of the discussion on this forum I can recollect that it is the wins over ranked players is the only thing which counts for rankings. Other in US who may have better knowledge on the ranking system can comment.

But, if that is the case, Kanika's ranking seems to have suffered because she has played many of the matches at #2 position this year while last year she was constantly playing at no.1 for her university. I am not quire sure really if Kanika is still serious about her pro tennis ambitions as she has not played any pro events at all since July 2013 when she reached a $10K final in Delhi and showed a lot of promise. Perhaps, PKB may have some info on it.
bujilover

Post by bujilover »

bujilover wrote:And today , #46 Texas A& M (Rutuja Bhosale) will play #32 LSU in an away tie. Seems to be an interesting battle as per the rankings.
Texas A & M has clinched this tie in a thriller 4-3 :-) And Rutu has won both her Singles and doubles match to help her team winning.

#57 Rutuja Bhosale (TAMU) def. Noel Scott (LSU), 6-0, 6-2

Bhosale/Gavrilovska (TAMU) def. #48 Kuykendall/Owens (LSU), 8-2
bujilover

Post by bujilover »

sameerph wrote:Among women, highest ranked in 59th ranked Rutuja Bhosale(Texas A&M University) and the only other ranked player is 110th ranked Ashvarya Shrivastava (New Mexico state university).

Good to see Ashvarya getting in there. .
Ashvarya mostly plays for #1 spot in her team. And also one more Indian player is pursuing college tennis along with Ash - Rimpledeep Kaur BATTH(19 yrs old). She was ranked as high as 275 in ITF Juniors category.

I just checked some of Rimpledeep's Juniors results and she has defeated the likes of Pranjala,P G Thombare,Shweta Rana,etc (way back in 2010).Seems a good prospect. Rimpledeep plays at #3 spot in Singles and partners with Ashvarya in doubles for NMSU.

I hope someday sooner all our players pursuing college tennis come out in flying colors to acheive success in Pro level :goodluck:
bujilover

Post by bujilover »

Also I have noticed that Vasanti Shinde is the sister of Sumeet Shinde. Good to see both of the siblings indulged in professional tennis :D
vatsal323

Post by vatsal323 »

I don't know whether this is the correct thread to post this. But according to me, what INDIAN TENNIS needs now is one good top 20-type player ratther than 5 or 6 top 200 level players. This is how tennis can become one of the frontline sports in our hugely populated country.
Ram

Post by Ram »

An useful link for getting to know about US college tennis, Indian players in US college etc.... www.universaltennis.com/default.aspx
Most of the coaches use this to recruit. Not perfect ranking system but close to it :-)
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

vatsal323 wrote:I don't know whether this is the correct thread to post this. But according to me, what INDIAN TENNIS needs now is one good top 20-type player ratther than 5 or 6 top 200 level players. This is how tennis can become one of the frontline sports in our hugely populated country.
Pranjala has the best chance for that if coached and sponsored correctly.
vatsal323

Post by vatsal323 »

I think either Sumit or Karman. I hope Pranjala does well too
bujilover

Post by bujilover »

One more player Rakshay Thakkar is studying in Pepperdine University. He plays for 3rd position and is ranked #79 in doubles. He has had mixed results in Singles so far this season but seems to be competetive :goodluck:
bujilover

Post by bujilover »

Ratnika earns a place in the Texas Longhorns All Big-12 team.

Source: http://www.texassports.com/news/2015/4/ ... 52657.aspx

Quoted

"To qualify for the team, student-athletes must maintain a minimum 3.0 GPA either cumulatively or in the previous two semesters and must have participated in 60 percent of her team's scheduled matches. Freshmen and transfers are not eligible in their first year of academic residence. Seniors who have participated for a minimum of two years and meet all criteria except percent of participation are also eligible"
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

For those of you more familiar with US college rules, what does it mean really being selected for this team ? Do they get any sponsorship ?

And secondly what is meant by maintaining 3.0 GPA ?
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by jaydeep »

sameerph wrote:And secondly what is meant by maintaining 3.0 GPA ?
I can answer this question ... :)
3.0 GPA means around 85%.

What does 3.0 GPA mean?
3.0 GPA is equivalent to 85% on percentile scale
3.0 GPA is considered as ‘B’ grade
bujilover

Post by bujilover »

Sameer, GPA is a grading system which is related to studies.
For eg : We use percentages for scoring , so someone who got 100 % means it is 4 out 4 GPA.

Ratnika has taken Computer Science which means that she is even concentrating to graduate at the studies level aside College tennis.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Thanks Jaydeep and Dinesh. Yes, that explains that Ratnika is concentrating on studies front in college. Hope that she still gives it a try at pro tennis after end of her college stint.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by jaydeep »

It seems Arjun Kadhe is turning into good doubles player ... Arjun Kadhe and Julian Cash are ranked as the No. 5 doubles team in ITA Doubles Rankings ... Before in September 2014 Arjun and Jakob Sude were at No. 3.

Cash/Kadhe Become Big Part Of Cowboy Tennis History