All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Divij Sharan thread

Post by jaydeep »

Thanks Arun for updating on Divij's injury worry ... I was worrying and hoping that its not becoz of his prolonged shoulder injury.

Jaydeep.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Good to see Divij in the SF of the India F5 Futures in Chandigarh this week, signalling a clear return to form after recent injury worries, etc. Of course, he also made the final of the Pakistan F2 Futures in October 2007, and made SFs in two $15K Futures last year (in Kuwait and Nigeria) apart from a couple of QFs in Futures (India, Britain). But he hasn't quite repeated the great performance in the India Satellites in August 2006 (where he won leg 2 and the Master's leg, beating Aqeel Khan twice in doing so). Sadly, Satellites no longer exist, but doing well in Futures is the closest substitute...Time for Divij to make the move to the next level -- hopefully by notching up several match victories in the India Challengers in May.
amr090
Authors
Authors

Post by amr090 »

Divij plays a largely serve and volley game, so its tough thesee days for him to have consistent success on slower surfaces and powerful baseliners...or if his serve is off
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

But it is not THAT late for him to buid up additional strengths in his game.  He needs to have the mental toughness to do it, that's all - I think he just might do it.  I really really wish he had come to US colleges, where he would certainly have learned to grind from the baseline (not clay or grass tennis, but the patience to grind and accuracy in ground strokes, which are needed on hard courts too) .. It is too late for college now.  But he can still play a bunch of clay events, spend a lot of practice time, hit rallies endlessly, develop stamina etc.  If he has the basic mechanics for ground strokes right, and is really lacking in the mental/tactical details due to lack of experience, this can be done.  If he was taught poor stroke mechanics and is mostly a helter-skelter serve and volleyer, it is probably very difficult.  I have not seen Divij play, to say anything on this.

He still has time to make himself a much more well-rounded player, if he focuses in the next 2-3 years.

Jay
amr090
Authors
Authors

Post by amr090 »

I've yet to see him as well...I'm hoping to convince him to come to the US for a stint, it is somewhat in the cards for sometime this year from what he told me.  I'm just hoping he comes to DC for the Legg Mason ATP, maybe I can get to see him play then.
suresh

Post by suresh »

Divij is not a pure serve and volley player, I think -- the one match that I saw him play against Vishnu, he played from the baseline when he should have been volleying a lot more!
amr090
Authors
Authors

Post by amr090 »

from what he told me he mainly serves and volleys a lot...but i dont know ive never seen him play...
amr090
Authors
Authors

Post by amr090 »

JUst talked to Divij for a while.  He's planning on finishing exams end of May and beginnign play again.  Hes planning to play 3 futures in England, the 2 challengers in India and then is open to suggestions on what to do next.  Some of you guys that love, researching possible schedules...can you guys post some ideas in terms of his most efficient schedule plan?

Also, we talked and he decided he's going to contact Harsh and Sunil (who he is hitting with now in Delhi) and try to see if they can possibly plan a long term schedule for the 3 of them to travel together.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

That means he plans to play 3 futures in Great Britain on grass in the weeks of 7th/ 14th /28th July which is good considering his serve & volley type of game. In the period before that ( & after 2 Delhi challengers in May )there are not too many tournaments in Asia . He ( or other Indians ) can probably try out 2 $15 k futures in Iran in the weeks of 16 / 23 June.   

Or if he is going to Britain , then he can try out in 2 $ 15 k futures in Ireland in the weeks of 16th/23rd June which is followed by a Dublin challenger in week of 30th June. These are all on carpet which is the sort of fast surface which could suit his game.

Of course this is just based on his ranking & his style of play. No idea if the costs involved in staying for 2 /3 weeks at these places is affordable to him .

S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

Following Felixstowe (see Tournament thread) Divij is going to Frinton
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

At $ 15k Great Britain F10 , Frinton on Sea (Grass)

Singles-

[R1] SHARAN, Divij (IND,742) v. (4) SEATOR, Edward (GBR,503)

Doubles -

[R1] (4) SHARAN Divij (IND)/ SADECKY Alexander (SUI) v. BRADSHAW Timothy (GBR) / BRASSINGTON Kyle(GBR)
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Singles-

[R1] SHARAN, Divij (IND,742) l. (4) SEATOR, Edward (GBR,503) 62 46 16

Doubles -

[R1] (4) SHARAN Divij (IND)/ SADECKY Alexander (SUI) d. BRADSHAW Timothy (GBR) / BRASSINGTON Kyle(GBR) 76(3) 64
suresh

Post by suresh »

Come on Divij, you should be winning these matches on grass  :damn:
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

[QF] BREWER (GBR) / CAMPBELL (GBR) defeated SADECKY (SUI) / SHARAN (IND) (4) 6-4 6-4

So, I suppose that is the end of a bit of wasted trip for Divij with nothing much earned. IMO, next time Divij should plan properly playing few more weeks at a stretch so that he adjust & produce some better results.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Updating in Divij thread as Omkara correctly pointed out .. :)

Divij is in doubles semis with his Ukranian partner.

At $15K+H Ivory Coast F1 futures, Abidjan, Cote D'Ivoire

[R1] SHARAN Divij (IND,702) bt (WC) ANIBIE Sylvain (CIV,1359) 76(4) 62

[R2] SHARAN Divij (IND,702) vs DE BONNEVIE Philippe (FRA,461)

Doubles
[R1] BONDARENKO Vladislav (UKR)/ SHARAN Divij (IND) bt VANDENBULCKE Yannick (BEL)/ WITMEUR Alec (BEL) 63 64
[QF] BONDARENKO Vladislav (UKR)/ SHARAN Divij (IND) bt FRANSEN Stephan (NED)/ GOVAERTS Bart (BEL) 16 64 10(8)

[SF] BONDARENKO Vladislav (UKR)/ SHARAN Divij (IND) vs BEGEMANN Andre (GER)/ TAVARES Leonardo (POR)