Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Sanam Singh Thread

Post by jayakris »

Let me congratulate the 17 year old Asian Juniors and Asia/Oceania Juniors Champion who just became the youngest Indian to ever win a futures event at the Delhi $15K today ... This thread is now open!

Sanam has just gone 9-1 in the two futures. He had qualified in and won a round last week at the Chandigarh 10K. Before that he had gone 6-0 without dropping a set at the Asia/Oceania juniors in late October. So he is on a nice 15-1 run in international events!

By the way, it looks like he will be ranked #3 in world juniors behind Donald Young (USA) and the Orange Bowl winner Robin Roshardt (SUI), next month! How about that?

Jay
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Sanam Singh Thread .. (becomes our youngest futures winner)

Post by PKBasu »

What a fantastic run for Sanam. He has won what is effectively a US$15K Futures without losing a set! And he's just 17. HUGE CONGRATULATIONS!

Sanam should not lose the headstart he now has on the pro tour. Next year, he needn't waste too much time playing junior events. Since he will start with a very high junior ranking, he should concentrate on playing a couple of junior events before each of the Slams, but otherwise avoid junior events and focus on pro events the rest of the year. Who knows, by the time Wimbledon or the US Open comes along he may be facing a dilemma about whether or not to play the junior events in light of the need to focus on the pro qualifier or main draw...

Donald Young better watch out; he will have a serious competitor in the year ahead!
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Congrats Sanam for exciting title win in US$10K+ tournament at Delhi ... And thats really good news that he would be rank 3rd in Junior from next year ... Sanam showed consistancy all over the year and he always performed well where he should perform ... And this title will help him to build his confidence to perform well in Junior and men's side next year ... Now its interesting to watch how he shuffle between these two tours ... I would say as PKB suggested Sanam should play limited Junior events and on men's tour also he should participate few futures and challengers (qualies in India) ... But mainly he should concentrate on increasing physical strength and increase level of game through proper coaching, which would help him on long term.

Jaydeep.

PS. Jay thanks for taking initiative for starting Sanam's own page.
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

and this is what he looks like:

Pic

He looks good. Tall, good physique, good shape.
jimmy

Post by jimmy »

Profile-Sanam Singh

According to this; his Weight is 59 Kg
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

You can never trust these profiles for such info but it doesn't sound too far off the mark for a 17 year old.
chitratyagi

Post by chitratyagi »

I am sorry ,I was away due to personal reasons (you may actually congratulate me because I delivered a baby girl just few days back and guess what- we have named her- Sania)

Any way ,I missed lot of great action-especially when so much was happening in delhi.It is great that we have so many very good players coming up-who are under 20.Lead by Karan Rastogi,this group of Sanam,Vivek ,Jeevan and possibly Somedev,if and when he decides to play full circuit- will push the seniors like HM,RB AND PA.Karan has already defeated HM AND RB.Jeevan took a set off HM,Vivek and Sanam have done so well here.So things are looking great.All these have the potential to do what sania has been doing.All the best.
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

:Offtopic: Congrats Chitra! Let's look forward to creating a player forum in about 16 years time for Sania Tyagi :)
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Looking forward to great year for Sanam in juniors..

:Offtopic: Congrats Chitra..
puneets

Post by puneets »

Congratulations Sanam.

and congratulations Chitra.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

S_K_S wrote:and this is what he looks like:

Pic

He looks good. Tall, good physique, good shape.
Tall? I hear he is around 5'7" or so. Nowadays, that is average height on the WTA tour. He may grow some more yet (as Sharapova is apparently still growing every year) or maybe some one again arrange the growth hormone laden US and European dairy products that have increased average height by a couple of inches in the Netherlands, for example :D
shaili

Post by shaili »

5'7" is short for an international tennis player!!
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Yes, that picture is misleading. He is not very tall. Hope he turns into a Christophe or Olivier ..

Jay
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Yeah, he looks like a scrawny kid. Jay, please get him to enrol in your brother-in-law's fitness centre for at least a month as soon as possible. And then he should keep up a tough physical regimen for the next few years. We either have terrific pure tennis talents without the physical attributes, or the latter without the former. Let's hope Sanam adds the physical attributes quickly. You don't have to be tall, but you have to be super-fit and physically strong enough to last five sets regularly in the Slams.
Harsh

tennis

Post by Harsh »

Congratulations to Sanam on his first ITF Futures title!!! I hope this will be the start to a successful tennis career ahead and all the best to him.

Earlier this year in Jaipur at the Davis Cup tie when we were all in the gym together it was suprising to see his leg strenght. We were doing wall sits and he lasted more than 3 mins, which was very good.

But he didn't have any routine or program at the time. It seemed like he didn't have a good grasp of what he needed to do in the gym (even maintanance stuff). I believe he needs to get a personal trainer, someone who is a qualified person and has experience with working with pro athletes. This will help him a lot, and the earlier he does this in his career, the benefits will be that much greater.

He has shown his potential with his results in the juniors and now with this title. We all know that there is a training center here in Lake Forest, CA. Karan does his training at the Bolliteiri academy. I have not been to a whole lot of training centers, but out of all the places, I would recommend the place here in Lake Forest. Again, I'm not saying that this is the only place, there may be 10 other places equally good or better. But I'm not aware of them.

Top quality training is expensive and there is a significant investment involved. I'm not sure what his financial situation is but hopefully some company or individual could support this young player and cover his training expenses. A two week stint here will roughly cost $1000 (training fees). So if he does four two weeks stints during the course of the year we are looking at $4000 (training fees) + $1000 (food and other local expenses) + $4000 (flights to and from) = roughly a $10,000 investment for the year. But there will be tremendous gains in his physical fitness which will help his game no doubt.

Harsh