All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

Tolamu
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Sanam Singh Thread

Post by Tolamu »

At Kyoto, Sanam vs Kibi 3-6 6-3 2*-1.
Sanam holds 3-1 but 0-30 down in next game.
Serving 3-2.
Broken, back on serve 3-3.
Sanam lost the decider 6-7(8).
Last edited by Tolamu on Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Saniapower

Post by Saniapower »

Seriously injured
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

At $50K Kyoto Challenger, Japan

[R1] Sanam Singh (IND,294) l. (Q) Yuya Kibi (JPN,663) 36 63 67(8)

He was a break up in the second set but gave it back. Seems like the story for Indian players this year. Sanam is now 1-5 for the year. Bad start for the year for him and now he has points to defend in March. Unless he has a big run somewhere, will fall back a lot in the rankings by end March.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Sanam is going to be playing couple of $10K futures in Turkey in next couple of weeks and then will probably return to India for a home futures in Chandigarh. He has only couple of wins on the circuit this year and no ATP points at all ( as both those wins came in challenger qualies.) So, it looks like he is trying to get some points in futures to ensure that he does not have a free fall in the rankings.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Since Sanam is the only one playing this week in Hongkong, we might as well discuss it in his thread.

At $10K Hong Kong F1 futures

[R1] (4) Sanam SINGH (IND,401) vs. Kittiphong WACHIRAMANOWONG (THA,843)
Rajiv
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Rajiv »

Not looking good , staring defeat with the Thai player serving for the match at 5-2 in the decider ,
Shocking loss of form which is not gradual but a vertical drop, compounded by the R1 doubles loss yesterday

Yes its all over , lost the match 6-2 in the final set , worrying ... where does he go from here had break point at 15-40 , but still a big ask as he was double break down
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yes, worrying indeed. Once I observed the scores, Sanam was a set and break up at 3-2 in the second set and seemed to be cruising and then he went on to win only 2 more games in the match. :-(

At $10K Hong Kong F1 futures

[R1] (4) Sanam SINGH (IND,401) l. Kittiphong WACHIRAMANOWONG (THA,843) 62 36 26

Sanam is in a free fall. Someone who was winning competitive matches at challenger level last year is now struggling to even win a round in a 10K futures and losing to players ranked below 800.

Can he find a answer to comeback from here ?
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Sanam is back on the circuit after a couple of months break and is playing qualies at Granby Challenger.

At $100K Granby Challenger, Canada

[Q1] Sanam Singh (IND,473) vs. Hiroyasu Ehara (JPN,601)

I hope he returns to some sort of form. He has fallen almost 200 places in the ranking since start of the year and has earned a mere 2 ATP points this year despite playing 13 tournaments. :roll:
Ravishankar Krishnan

Post by Ravishankar Krishnan »

Unfortunately, no win on comeback for sanam. Loses 2-6 1-6.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Congratulations to Sanam for winning his 10th futures title today in Coimbatore.

This has been a horrible year for him. Before this futures series in India he had mere 2 ATP points earned this year.This coming after such a good 2015 was shocking

Now, he earns 26 points from last 3 weeks which only ensures that he will not have a steep fall in the rankings
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by jaydeep »

It seems Sanam is unofficially retired from the tour as he has joined the men's program as a volunteer assistant coach at UVA.

[url=http://www.virginiasports.com/sports/m- ... 18aac.html]Singh Back in Familiar Surroundings/url]
"If you're top 50 in singles or doubles -- or top 100 in singles even -- it's a different life than if you're top 300 in singles," Singh said. "You still have to be good to be 260, 300 in singles and 100, 130 in doubles, but the difference is that the money is not great in tennis.

"If you're the same level in golf, you're probably making a lot more money. The disparity between top 100 and 300 [in pro tennis] is a lot. When you really think of living a very, very comfortable life, you have to be top 100 in the world in singles."

Had he done "a few things differently," Singh said, "I could have probably gone higher [in the rankings]. I don't know. It's tough to look back and really think what I could have done -- maybe had a few more resources when it comes to sponsors or maybe a little more structure. That was the only thing that was probably missing. But otherwise I traveled for four or five years, played on tour, had some good success."

Near the end of his pro career, Singh said, "I felt like I didn't have the resources and also the drive to get back to the level where I'd already played, and I felt like there was no point in wasting time and traveling and wasting my own resources and funds."
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

A bit sad that Sanam could not fulfil his potential in pros. He was one of our better juniors. But, height was an issue with him and he did not have enough of other strengths ( fitness, quickness around the court etc.) to make for that.

I wonder why he ( like his contemporary Jeevan) did not try his hand out at doubles. He was a pretty good doubles player and won a gold at Asiad along with Somdev.