Yuki Bhambri

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

knarayen

Re: Yuki Bhambri

Post by knarayen »

jayakris wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:26 pm
knarayen wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:40 pmHard to believe that the TOPS committee would penalise Yuki for choosing to play in the US Open over tha Asian Games. Is this how you reward good performance?
Actually there is some justification. Especially if playing for the country (when selected) was a requirement for the TOPS program. I assume it was? Based on the article, it seems that he will be back in the TOPS program after the Asiad, so all is fine. The money they would have paid him for the period till Asiad should rightfully go to Divij, as we want him to get ready and win us a medal.

As far as I am concerned, Yuki, if healthy enough to play and win a medal, should play Asiad rather than the US Open. "I don't give a damn for US Open", as I said (in comparison with Asiad). It's the Indian taxpayers money set aside for him - and we have a right to ask him to go win a medal for us... Or a Davis Cup match; and we know that he skipped a DC for us and we almost lost to China - horror! - saying he was not fully fit. And then he went and won a 150K challenger in the next 6 days. I am not accusing him of lying, because I think he truly didn't feel ready 5 days earlier to go practice in China. But the fact is that he wasn't there for us. So, this is kinda becoming a pattern now. There is a limit to how many times we can just have Yuki continue to focus only on the pro tour, when we expect (and NEED) his services for the country. I would still be okay if we let him play US Open, if I felt that he had a chance to go past at least 2 rounds. But he has not crossed the first round in 5 grand slam attempts and has won just one set out of 16 he has played. I would rather have him play at the Asiad and win a medal.

Now, if I were in charge, I wouldn't be vindictive on Yuki, who has after all played for us at the Asiad and won a bronze before. I would even be fine in simply continuing the support, as TOPS is for Olympics preparation and so a break in support during injury-rehab is not fair or ideal. But I will certainly ask him to pay back the money given as support during this period (May 7th through end of Asiad) or the amount he earns at the US Open, whichever is smaller.
Fair enough jay. But my approach would be a bit different. When time clashes like these happen, the player should not be punished for it. How can the player control these scheduling conflicts? Cutting off funding to the player is NOT the answer. The solution is for the tops committee to ameliorate the damage by securing MORE funding for the other player taking his place.
VReddy
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by VReddy »

Prof - Then you would have the entire contingent taking a break as all/most of them are eligible to play in the US open. Not sure if that is viable.
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

VReddy wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:46 pm Prof - Then you would have the entire contingent taking a break as all/most of them are eligible to play in the US open. Not sure if that is viable.
Not necessarily. Many will choose the Asiad over the open for a chance to earn a medal. Look, you can slice and dice this in so many ways, but punishing a player for a scheduling conflict not in the players hands is NOT the answer.
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

Yuki is rightly considered as a repeat offender at this point. Once he is back playing in Indian colours, he will be included again.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Out of Toronto Q as well :cry:
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

He did say that he hopes to come back at Cincinnati. So, lets hope he gets back by then.
Saniapower

Post by Saniapower »

Hopefully these are all fake injury for some purpose
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Saniapower wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:26 amHopefully these are all fake injury for some purpose
For what purpose?
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Yes, he'd have to be incredibly stupid to fake injury (if he isn't injured) and miss tournaments with significant prize money (and hospitality etc.) especially considering that he is almost fully funded by the prize money he wins.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

sameerph wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:38 am Looks like Yuki has knee injury which has been bothering him since Roland Garros. Looks like he plans to be back at Cincinnnati-

Missing the US Open is unimaginable for me: Bhambri
It is a knee inflammation and not an injury right.

Those are kind of annoying. I have had similar problems (runner's knee) since Feb this year and that has not gone away completely despite 3 months of physiotherapy and months of daily exercises to build hip strength/stretch more. It is manageable and I can do one or two strenuous activities before it flares up again but that's a no-go for a professional athlete who needs to compete week-in, week-out.
ornatebrute

Post by ornatebrute »

Physiotherapy doesn't help much directly in inflammation. It's preferred so that your muscles dorn become stiff. You *need* medications (NSAIDs or Steroids) for inflammation to settle down sooner.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Yes a combination of Steroids+AntiInflammatory does the job ,
Had a nasty Golf elbow could not even lift a raquet at times, but this combination prescribed by my orthopaedic and a lighter raquet did the job , and now can play tennis , albeit with a gel filled elbow support.
ornatebrute

Post by ornatebrute »

Yes. That's an elbow brace. From what I read, Yuki had a tennis elbow, which is the inflammation of lateral epicondyle of your arm bone (=humerus), that means he would have had difficulty in hitting backhands. A golfer's elbow, in contrary, is the inflammation of the medial epicondyle and one would have more difficulty in hitting forehands. Both are extremely pain, and can limit one's activities of daily living to a large extent.
Not sure what knee problem Yuki suffers from.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

To the extent that one plays both golf and tennis, the inflammation for a right hander in tennis is typically on the right arm while it is typically on the left arm in golf...
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yuki is practising at Impact tennis academy in Thailand currently. But, he has pulled out of Winston Salem ATP qualies. Which means he will be going into US open without any match practice. We can probably expect another first round grand slam loss in such circumstances. :-(