Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Yuki Bhambri

Post by jayakris »

That is great news, PKB, about Yuki looking healthy and good in practice.
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

Yuki is playing doubles this week in Gurugram, partnering Saketh, and they are predictably the top seeds.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

Good for him. Look forward to the duo do well.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Yuki and Saketh easily won the doubles title in the Gurugram facility (actually in a rural area off the Gurugram-Faridabad Road). As I reported in the tournament page, I met Yuki before his doubles SF, and asked him whether he was preparing for singles at the Australian Open; he was surprised at my question, and said "of course, that is my focus". I think he will be ready to play solid singles well before the time the Australian Open qualifiers begin. He just wasn't ready to play singles 3 weeks ago at the time of the Delhi Futures (and didn't feel entirely comfortable playing doubles in a tournament setting yet). But the strenuous workout on court in New Delhi paved the way for the doubles participation and title the next week.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Somewhat surprised by his surprised response. If he is expecting to do well in Australian Qualifiers, it seems that playing a futures or two would be needed to get over the rust of not playing singles for so long. But Yuki is one of kind with respect to his tennis talent and could easily win a round in the qualies if he pain free...
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

Yuki has entered the Melbourne ATP 250 doubles event with his good friend, Michael Venus (current WR #15). Glad to finally see him entering some pre-events before AO. :D
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yes, looks like he will play double there and AO qualies the week after. Will be good see him back on tour. Hope it comes thru.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

If he is playing doubles (presumably using his protected ranking to get in, albeit also helped by having a top-15 partner), I hope Yuki is also planning to play the singles qualifiers at the ATP250 tournament in Melbourne. Any tournament play will help him tune up his game. He is currently ranked 890 in doubles and 1048 in singles.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Yuki/Michael are 17th on the entry list (out of 20 direct acceptances, in a draw of 24 apparently) -- and Yuki isn't using his protected ranking. So he will definitely get a chance to play doubles. I'm surprised that he doesn't seem to be on the singles list at all.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Yuki's singles comeback resumes with a clinical 6-4, 6-2 victory over Joao Domingues (POR, 248) in Q1 of the Australian Open.

Let's just pray that this naturally talented stroke-maker stays injury-free!
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

This is a nice article on Yuki-

Yuki Bhambri is on the long road back, but he has a smile on his face
A tournament at home, where he has had success before, could now be a springboard for the season ahead. Bhambri's protected ranking also means that he will have close to 10 more chances to play singles at the big events. Used wisely, this can make 2022 - the year he turns 30 - a crucial one. He may not plan too far ahead anymore, but he has definite plans on how to use this slight advantage.
"I have 9 entries left after Pune till August, I will definitely be using three of them for the Grand Slams and some at ATP events that I really enjoy playing and have done well at... maybe the 500 at Queen's right before Wimbledon, the Masters in Washington, USA. Hopefully also move up in the rankings to be able to play the qualifying at some events," he explains.
That makes it clear what we were wondering. He had total of 12 PR of which he used 2 last year I think, uses 1 in Pune. He has 9 left to use till August.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

#863 Yuki Bhambri beat Jozef Kovalik (SVK, 168; CH 80) in a humdinger 67(10) 62 75 to win his first main draw ATP tour match in nearly 4 years. Nice come from behind win in Pune (ATP Tata Maharashtra Open).
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

From the ATP website:
https://www.atptour.com/en/news/bhambri ... 022-monday

"Indian Yuki Bhambri earned his first tour-level win in almost four years on Monday, clawing past Jozef Kovalik 6-7(10), 6-2, 7-5 at the Tata Open Maharashtra in Pune.

The former World No. 83, whose last victory at this level came against Mirza Basic in Miami in 2018, has only played two tour-level singles matches since 2019 due to a right knee injury.

In a hard-fought clash on home soil, the 29-year-old recovered from squandering three set points in an intense first-set tie-break to prevail after three hours and seven minutes.

"It was really long and really tough but I am happy to get through," Bhambri said. "It is a privilege to play at home and it is an important win as well playing at my home tournament. Each match is tough at tour-level so I am just taking it one match at a time."

Bhambri is making his second appearance at the ATP 250 event and will look to continue his run against either countryman Ramkumar Ramanathan or Italy’s Stefano Travaglia in the second round."
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

ATP doesn't seem to consider previous versions of this event (held in Chennai for 21 years, and in Delhi for one year) to be the same tournament -- hence the reference to this only being Yuki's second appearance. (He played in Pune in the first edition there in 2018, making the second round).
At the Chennai version of this tournament, Yuki's best run was in 2014, when he beat Pablo Carreno-Busta in R1, and then-#16 Fabio Fognini in R2 to make the QF. He played in the main draw almost every year until 2017, except one year when injury kept him out and once when VSP beat him in Q2.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

I think they are saying it’s only his second match in last four years, and not in this tournament. Not sure if that’s what you’re questioning, PKB.