Moderator: Moderators

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Yuki Bhambri

Post by sameerph »

Why link Glasgow with Surbitron ?. Glasgow is in 2 weeks time and Surbitron is in the second week of French open. I would say play Surbitron challenger if he loses in first round at French open. Otherwise skip it.
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

Surbiton is a challenger only in name. The field is as strong as a 250.
arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by arjun2761 »

That's a good reason not to play a challenger, i.e., one with an ATP field but challenger points and money. However, assuming it's grass, then playing for grass experience may make it worthwhile. However, with Yuki's serve, I'm not sure grass is a particularly favorable surface for Yuki.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

RohitG wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:15 am Similar case with Sugita, what special weapons does he possess that he could break the top-50.
You don't need special weapons to be in the top-50. You need to be playing good overall tennis. This is not like winning Wimbledon. For that, you need a special serve and very good everything else. Or the French, where you need special never-say-die returning. Etc.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Well, a bit of surprise as Yuki has entered $50K(+H) challenger in Gimcheon,Korea in the week of May 7. He has entered this would also mean he will in all probability play the bigger $150K(+H) challenger the week after in Busan.

So, now this looks like his schedule till French open -

30 Apr - $100K Glasgow Challenger (indoor hard)
7 May - $50K(+H) Gimcheon Challenger
14 May - $150K(+H) Busan challenger
21 May - ? Either week off or play an ATP qualies in Geneva or Lyon(only if he loses early in Busan) or Mestre challenger
27 May - RG

I do not see him playing 4 straight weeks before RG. I guess he may not play Glasgow at all as he mentioned first week of May as his return date in an interview which Arjun posted earlier.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Disappointing to see this schedule. He needs to basically win one more big Challenger -- so either Glasgow or Busan would have sufficed -- to catapult himself to around #70. Then, he should just focus on the low-level ATP tour events (for points) and the Masters and Slams (for money). The schedule proposed here is a highly pessimistic one.
Yuki is again making a mistake by completely ignoring clay courts. Now that he is going to be in the main draw of the French Open, he should at least play a couple of tournaments on clay; ideally he could have played the two Masters, even if in qualifying (worth about $4000 just to play one match). An easy, comfortable way to ease onto clay courts while earning a good amount of money.
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

I think this is just a way of avoiding clay to the max extent. I do not see him play challengers (unless its a 150k) after the French Open. Given the need to avoid clay, I guess he feels he might as well milk the comparatively easier points before he becomes exclusive on the ATP Tour till it allows him from the Grass court season. Just my hunch.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yes,it is clear he and his team feels that Yuki has no chance at all on clay and playing more there will be hard on his body. Not sure if the thinking is correct.

But, he is not the only one among top 100 players to think like that. The entry list for Korean challengers is not necessarily easy- apart from Yuki, there are 5 more top 100 players who have entered Gimcheon- Posipisil,Ebden,Dudi Sela,Yen Shun Lu and Jordan Thompson have entered there preferring this over clay.
sportsfan

Post by sportsfan »

sameerph wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:26 am Well, a bit of surprise as Yuki has entered $50K(+H) challenger in Gimcheon,Korea in the week of May 7. He has entered this would also mean he will in all probability play the bigger $150K(+H) challenger the week after in Busan.

21 May - ? Either week off or play an ATP qualies in Geneva or Lyon(only if he loses early in Busan) or Mestre challenger
27 May - RG

I do not see him playing 4 straight weeks before RG. I guess he may not play Glasgow at all as he mentioned first week of May as his return date in an interview which Arjun posted earlier.
If he goes deep at Glasgow, he should skip Gimcheon and head to Busan. If he gets to SF or F at Busan, the week of 21st would be a welcome rest and practice week for RG.
The main issue with adjusting to clay is finding the movement, footwork and balance... not just the demands of longer points and endurance.
Sort of like getting into snowboarding at a couple of weeks notice when all you've prepared for is the skiing competition. One wrong slide and you might injure yourself out of the season.
bujilover

Post by bujilover »

:Offtopic: Dan Evans set to pro tennis return at Glasgow CH after his one year ban for cocaine consumption. He has received a Q-WC from the organizers. Murray's participation in this challenger is still iffy as per this article, as he is slated to come back for the grass court season.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

sportsfan wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:29 pm
sameerph wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:26 am Well, a bit of surprise as Yuki has entered $50K(+H) challenger in Gimcheon,Korea in the week of May 7. He has entered this would also mean he will in all probability play the bigger $150K(+H) challenger the week after in Busan.

27 May - RG

If he goes deep at Glasgow, he should skip Gimcheon and head to Busan. If he gets to SF or F at Busan, the week of 21st would be a welcome rest and practice week for RG.
The main issue with adjusting to clay is finding the movement, footwork and balance... not just the demands of longer points and endurance.
Sort of like getting into snowboarding at a couple of weeks notice when all you've prepared for is the skiing competition. One wrong slide and you might injure yourself out of the season.
Of course, he should not be playing 3 consecutive weeks. For someone as injury prone as him, Yuki should avoid playing 3 straight weeks as far as possible. The ideal way is to play only Glasgow and Busan and skip the middle week of Gimcheon which is a lower level challenger. But, there is logistic and all involved. Also Yen Hsun Lu is playing in Gimcheon. So, their common coach would be there too and there would be some advantage of training together with coach to observe there. I guess he may skip Glasgow in that case. Let us see.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

I think he will play it by the ear and pull out from Korea if he goes deep in Glasgow.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/43853149

Seems like Murray's camp is a bit more confident of return in Glasgow.
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

Ofcourse he will play; only reason the tournament was set up. Anything else is just smoke and mirrors.
Y2K

Post by Y2K »

Seems like Yuki won't be playing any clay court tournament before french open.
https://mumbaimirror.indiatimes.com/spo ... 873511.cms