Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Yuki Bhambri

Post by jayakris »

... And... Wimbledon is cancelled for the first time since World War II.

Updating my opinions above. The recovery will be slower. The lockdowns will continue a bit longer. USA and India need to show some sort of flattening for the world to move. No other way. That ain't happening yet, and probably not for at least another couple of weeks, if not till much later.
Omkara
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Omkara »

jayakris wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:00 pm ... And... Wimbledon is cancelled for the first time since World War II.

Updating my opinions above. The recovery will be slower. The lockdowns will continue a bit longer. USA and India need to show some sort of flattening for the world to move. No other way. That ain't happening yet, and probably not for at least another couple of weeks, if not till much later.
So true.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

This is a good article on Yuki-

Bhambri not keen on Djokovic's plan for lower-ranked players

I think this is a good break for Yuki in his recovery plan. He can come now fully prepared when tennis returns and if he cannot return at that time, he will be never be able to return.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Absolutely right on. Instead of a one-time charity, these players should get a living wage that will be permanent. I wonder why the GSs especially adding prize money to the winners, etc. instead of lower down. The other tournaments may need to add money at the top to attract top players --- I do not know. But, the GSs should give a lot more to the qualifiers, or even qualifying round winners, etc.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Yuki is posting videos of him playing tennis. The latest involves furious volleying. Maybe he didn’t get the memo that Wimbledon and the grass season are cancelled this year! The French Open still seems on the schedule for late-September: bizarre!
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yuki confirms he will be back only in 2021-

Yuki Bhambri targets 2021 for comeback
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yuki appears in the alternates of entry list of new ATP event in Singapore starting Feb. 22 ( about 8-10 out from main draw). I think if he wants he may also get a main draw wild card there. But, let us hope he is finally ready to return to the tour.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

If he is fit to play on Feb 22nd, how come he wasn't fit to play two weeks earlier at the Australian Open :roll: ?
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yuki's PR is 127 which would not have been enough for main draw at Australian Open. So, he would have had to play qualies in Doha on 10th Jan. That makes it 6 weeks gap to Singapore where he has entered.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Are we to believe that Yuki will actually be playing tennis again? I have to say I should believe it only when I see it, as of now...
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

jayakris wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:08 pm Are we to believe that Yuki will actually be playing tennis again? I have to say I should believe it only when I see it, as of now...
Agree with Jay ... With Yuki's recent posts it looks like he become fitness freak.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Very true, there is no certainity till the time he steps on court. He has a habit of putting in his name and then withdrawing.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

My guess is that he takes one final shot because otherwise all his working out wouldn't make sense.

That said, he probably does not feel 100% fit and it is hard to be a world class athlete without that. So, no expectations from my end that he gets anywhere in his comeback if he tries especially in singles.

He could have a future as a doubles player as he has a good skill set for doubles and the physical wear and tear is a lot less. As far as a doubles career is concerned, he is still pretty young!
Dinesh

Post by Dinesh »

Yuki is also featured in the doubles entry list at the Singapore ATP alongside Jeevan. They are currently deep down (#9) in the alternates list, but there maybe a possibility for them to receive a WC.

Bopanna/Ben are continuing their partnership (since Ben’s regular partner Raven Klaasen couldn’t travel to AUS because of covid) and are the fourth seeded team in the list. Purav/Ramk are one out of MD and Balaji/Margaroli, 7 out of MD.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Yuki is 11th on the list of alternates for singles at the Singapore ATP. So he will have to play qualifiers (using his protected ranking of 127) -- probably a good way to start his comeback, although ideally he would have played a Futures or Challenger to get into shape for this ATP tournament.