Yuki Bhambri

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

vatsal323
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Yuki Bhambri

Post by vatsal323 »

Spot on PKB. Very happy to see Yuki becoming smarter with his scheduling. Just hope that this lad stays away from any sort of injury for the next 5-6 years at least. May God give all his injuries to me, or probably split it amongst all SI members! :D

Sky is the limit for Yuki!
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

vatsal323 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:53 amMay God give all his injuries to me, or probably split it amongst all SI members! :D
No way, dude. Not possible. I don't even think I have some of the muscles that he injures. At least I am not aware of their existence, as I never use them while sitting front of my computer. Maybe I should eat way too much of chips or something, but I think I still won't tear my abdomen. Stuff like ACL and hamstring and all that - not a chance.
arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by arjun2761 »

jayakris wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:59 am
vatsal323 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:53 amMay God give all his injuries to me, or probably split it amongst all SI members! :D
No way, dude. Not possible. I don't even think I have some of the muscles that he injures. At least I am not aware of their existence, as I never use them while sitting front of my computer. Maybe I should eat way too much of chips or something, but I think I still won't tear my abdomen. Stuff like ACL and hamstring and all that - not a chance.
Hey Jay - if you haven't exercised much in quite a while, just do a 100 meter sprint at top speed, you will put the required stress on the hamstring. :D

Now that Yuki has achieved his points goal for French Open and possibly Wimbledon (if he wins his next match), he would do well to take off the next couple of weeks as the abdomen/core is a key part of where is power comes from.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Congratulations to Yuki Bhambri for winning the big US$150K+H Taipei Challenger singles title.

With that, Yuki will rise to a career-high ranking of 83 on the ATP computer, and has risen to #29 in the Race to London rankings (well ahead of Rafa Nadal at #42), which makes him the second-ranked Asian in that list (just behind #4 Chung Hyeon).
RohitG

Post by RohitG »

Yuki will be at a career high of 83 in the rankings at the end of this week. He's got 688 points right now. Correct me if I am wrong but I think he's secured a place in the US Open main draw too. He's got 84 points falling off till end of July and that's from 6 tournaments. So that's 6 zero pointers in total, just appearing at the French and Wimbledon will give him 20 points. So he's safely gonna be above 620 by the entry deadline for US Open (which would be in late July)
The main drop he's gonna have is the 100 points from Washington in first week of August, which I feel he can compensate through 4 tournaments, like the ones in Glasgow and some challengers in July. All he needs is to not strain himself. Just show up at Roland Garros, Wimby and we're set till US Open.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Correct, Rohit. US open entry deadline is actually 6 weeks before the tournament i.e 16th July. By that date, only 62 points fall off from 4 tournaments. As you said, 10 points each from just turning up for French open and Wimbledon. So, even if he does not win a singles match till that date, his points tally as on 16th July would be 646 with a ranking around 90 or even better. The points for a particular ranking keep varying at different times of the year. If I check on 17th July last year, 646 points would mean a ranking of 74.

At least he is guaranteed to be in top 100 till his Washington ATP points come off in early August ( after USO entry deadline). So, all remaining grand slams of the year secured.

He can plan very well now and play only ATP main tour events in next 2-3 months.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

This tournament and last month’s excellent performance in the two Masters tournaments have changed Yuki’s career path completely. He will of course be playing all the Slam main draws this year (3 of them for the first time), and will also be able to play the rest of the Masters. The money from these tournament appearances will make him financially viable (and allow a travelling coach); now the main goal has to be to husband his resources and playing time to maximise points from the Slams and Masters, and play a judicious mix of other ATP events to build his points and get to the next magic circle, top-50.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Congrats to Yuki. Now, only 5 players are ahead of him in all time ATP rankings. Let us hope he breaks into the top 50 soon. Moreover, hope he wins a few rounds at the Grand Slams. Even Som and Leander never went beyond the 3rd round at the slams. I hope he remains injury free for the rest of the year and beats a few top players.
sportsfan

Post by sportsfan »

The way Yuki's been playing last couple of months, he's bound for top 50. A breakthrough ATP tournament or a good run at a Grand Slam tournament would propel him further.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

So Yuki is now #4 amongst the Asians only behind Chung, Nishikori and Sugita.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yes, it is official now. It is so nice when you open an ATP ranking page and see an Indian flag within top 100 ranked players. :D Yuki is at a career high ranking of #83.

Now that he is assured of being in top 100 till at least August, it will be interesting to see his schedule going forward. The ATP entry lists close 6 weeks before the tournament date. So, the first tournament where his new ranking will be considered for entry will be French open.

He has already entered $100K Glasgow challenger starting on April 30. For the first 3 weeks of May before French open, he has the option of playing Madrid/Rome/Geneva ATP qualies or play one or two challenger on clay in Europe.
vatsal323

Post by vatsal323 »

I think after Glasgow, Yuki should play in ATP events exclusively. He has the ability to compete against any tennis player in the world. So he should use that and maximize the reward for his efforts on court.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yes, principally agree. The prize money difference is also large. This year Yuki has already earned US$ 158K in 4 months which is more than what he earned for whole of last year playing challengers. Only just wondering if he is not so confident of doing well in qualies of those clay master (Madrid/Rome) against all the European clay monsters would he choose a bit easier challengers where he can win a few and play more matches on clay before French open.
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

vatsal323 wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:47 am I think after Glasgow, Yuki should play in ATP events exclusively.
Not in total agreement with that. Goes without saying that the ATP level is mega tough with every match being a struggle. Look at how hard he had to fight at IW and Miami. I don't think there is any harm in playing an odd high value challenger here and there to pick up some money, points and confidence that comes from winning.
sanjay5goel

Post by sanjay5goel »

Based on what I have been reading in this forum, it seems like the high level challengers give more points for QF, SF, F etc than getting to 2nd or 3rd round of the ATP Tour events and vice-versa when it comes to prize money.

Based on this it would be best for Yuki to mix up his schedule between both ATP and Challenger events till he is able to get his rank close to 50 and is able to stay there consistently by going deeper in the ATP events.