Yuki Bhambri

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

Rajiv
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Yuki Bhambri

Post by Rajiv »

PKBasu wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:25 pm These camps are utterly useless. He should have played in Chicago,
Certainly not, these camps are quite useful a week before the tie..
In fact they have been a  most important segment of a DC tie preparation and the successes which we have achieved.

It has been our tradition from Krishnan,Amritraj,Naresh Kumar times to assemble at least one week before the tie and sometimes during that period the Captains have even called foreign Coaches or Players to give the preparation an extra edge, like during the 87 campaign, we had a guy Gene Halin for the entire year, and the most famous one of them was in 93, when facing the Swiss (Finalist in 92)at South Club club, knowing our players would be unprepared to face the tall Isner type Marc Rossets and Jakob Hlasek thunderbolts,  Naresh specifically got in 6.5" Briton Chris Bailey to aclamatise and help Ramesh and Paes for the big serves,  and what a master stroke from Naresh it was , as not only got Ramesh/LP better prepared but they even managed to cause a huge upset and went on to beat  the Swiss, who incidentally were 92 beaten finalist. 

Only difference here is that Mahesh has given these preparatory players meetings a different name, as that of a CAMP,
Moreover this Camp is starting on a Sat/ Sun, 5 -6 days before the tie and there could have been  a possibility that Yuki would not have been engaged long enough till Sunday  in Chicago and could have joined the team in time , And even if he was engaged he could have well joined the camp a day or 2 late as in case of Ramesh who could never make it in time exactly a week before as he was always involved in pre DC centric tournaments. 

So it might have been very useful and ideal preparation for Yuki and also to Team India if he could have played Chicago and joined the camp in Belgrade once whenever he was done in Chicago.
RohitG
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by RohitG »

Yuki is not fully fit and a lot has been said over his not being available for Davis Cup and Asian Games. For a player who is financing his career with his prize money, showing up at USO was a pragmatic decision, even more considering him not getting the TOPS money. Over the past few years, we have realised that he has been marred with injuries and not been able to get a top coach, I remember rumors of him trying to hire Rasheed. I believe money must have played a huge role there. So considering all that, this year has been better in terms of prize money, with him getting the cheque of main draw in all slams and IW/Miami. Now while he recovers day by day and to also get back into representing India (based on which they will reinstate him for TOPS) this camp seems to be a better choice. He's got one target checked, play in all 4 GS main draws. Next is to get back to represent India because a lot of Govt/Public goodwill depends on that. Next will be to be eligible for Aus Open, so I guess he will try to pull of a Taipei style point collection later in Oct/November. Either that, or he goes for Protected Ranking.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

He won't be eligible for PR for a while. He needs points and needs them now if he wants to continue playing GS main draws.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

I am really not sure if he is really playing davis cup too. He has not entered any of the tournaments post davis cup.

In the week of Sept. 17, both RamK and Prajnesh have entered $150K(+H) challenger in Kaohsiung, China and for the week of Sept. 24, Prajnesh is in the qualies entry list of ATP 250 at Chengdu while RamK is in the qualies entry list of similar level event at Shenzhen.

But, Yuki is not there in any of those lists. Just getting a feeling that he may just take himself out from davis cup team.
RohitG

Post by RohitG »

He is 2nd in the alternate list for Metz in week of 17th and 10th in the Shenzen Alt list for week of 24th.. I wonder if he'll make that trip to France post Serbia and then make a trip for China/Japan events in October because he is also 5th in ALT list for Antwerp in October
NeerajC

Post by NeerajC »

I just looked up the teams on the Davis cup website and don't see Yuki in there
NeerajC

Post by NeerajC »

Arjun seems to be the replacement
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

What's the new injury? Or is he just not mentally motivated any more?
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Not sure he needs a new injury. He's had several since March and some of them are chronic (i.e., previous injuries which were aggravated by his March run the Masters events). Obviously, he can still play at a decent level for a few sets as he showed at the USO but probably at the significant risk of further aggravating his injuries (or perhaps he feels the aggravation once he finishes playing).

I wonder he would be better off focusing on doubles once he heals from this set of injuries as it is a lot less impact than playing singles.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Prashant wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:26 am What's the new injury? Or is he just not mentally motivated any more?
It must be the same knee injury which he said has been troubling him since clay season. That is why he played so little since then.

As I said yesterday, I was expecting this withdrawal the way he has not entered any tournaments post davis cup. Is he going in for another 6 months break which will allow him PR post February and can use for 3 slams next year ?
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

His PR will not be great in that scenario.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

If he stops playing now, his PR will be 98. Live rankings has him at #95 currently. So, if he decides to take 6 months off from now, he will have to miss the Australian Open, but can resume playing at the end of February 2019 with a protected ranking of 95 (good enough to get into the other 3 Slams next year).
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

I believe the PR is the average ranking of the first 3 months that he is out. While it will be in the 90s for the first few weeks, it will the lower for the remaining weeks.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

If it is the average of the first 3 months that he is out, the average will be in the 120-130 range, I think. In that case, he will have to play qualifiers for all the Slams. Unless he is very seriously injured, it makes little sense to take 6 months off at this stage.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Maybe he should try a Fed and other old guy-esque policy of choosing 3-5 big tournaments and a few tournaments before each to get in shape and see if he can qualify at the big ones. The guy seems to be done :-(