Yuki Bhambri

All posts regarding specific player and player fans threads are in this forum

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Yuki Bhambri

Post by PKBasu »

The utterly bizarre career of Yuki Bhambri continues. He has entered the Wimbledon qualifiers, but appears not to have entered any other grass-court tournament!
What a thoroughly unprofessional approach. I used to feel sorry for him, given how often he got injured. But I'm beginning to feel disgust at the way he has utterly mismanaged his career.

(His buddy, and sometime training partner at Stephen Koon's academy, Yen-Hsun Lu has milked the ranking system over the past two years, playing in Slam after Slam using his protected ranking, lasting 3 sets and picking up huge pots of money, when he is actually semi-retired. Yuki should have started his injury break a few weeks earlier, so that his PR would be inside top-100, but you don't expect his team to manage that...).
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

So Yuki had a knee operation. He posted his pic on Instagram
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Yes, again rehab ... Get well soon Yuki!

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Get well fast, Yuki. But one has to feel for all the injuries and rehabs he has had to go through in his career... He has spent more time handling crutches, bandages, slings and braces than rackets over the years :(
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Really sad to see this. I suppose, after all the rumours, we finally have a conclusive answer to our queries. Coming back from this will be a herculean task. But I add my prayers for Yuki's quick recovery and rehab. I wish this had been done a couple of years ago, but I suppose there was no way of knowing that surgery was the only answer.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Wishing Yuki all the best for a comeback! Not sure what procedure he had. If a ligament repair (ACL, MCL etc.) then its a good year before he is fully rehabbed can be competitive again. If it is more minor procedure, then he could be back sooner. Yuki has shown that he can play at a high level (near top 100) within a few months of coming back, so he can have one more run if his surgery works and he can play without pain.

I suspect that his injury wasn't managed all that well, perhaps, because of lack of resources. In US professional sports, knee injuries are quite common but are generally treated surgically and the player is able to come back in a year and be nearly as good as before until they injure it again. Yuki was out nearly 2 years and seemingly wasn't fully healed to begin with (which is why he kept entering and withdrawing from tournaments along the way). If properly treated and rehabbed, he should have had a better timeline range for coming back.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

From the reports it appears to be a minor procedure. So, hopefully he will be back soon.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

sameerph wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:07 pm From the reports it appears to be a minor procedure. So, hopefully he will be back soon.
Hope that is the case. Even with a minor procedure, the rehab is pretty important, so hopefully Yuki has someone experienced helping him with the rehab.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

In a recent insta post, yuki is practicing again.

As he says, not a come back but a part of journey.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I feel for Yuki. How many times has he had to do this in his career? It is like his career has been as a professional "injury recoverer", who then takes some sojourns into tennis and gets back to his profession of recovering. All the best, Yuki. Want to see you take some time off to play tennis soon!

Sorry to joke about this, but I am trying to find some cheer somewhere... When healthy, he is our best player, and that has been the case ever since Somdev retired.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Man this guy must be the unluckiest person, it seems like. Plays well and then gets injured. In a way just as I cannot hit the ball hard, his muscles cannot take the strain for over a period of time. We are born with physical characteristics that we cannot change or have a limit. Oh, well. Whatever he does, good luck to him. Maybe he should come back to singles. Maybe he should try doubles. Maybe coaching. Whatever. Good luck!
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I hope he can play the 3 Futures in India next month. It is far below the level he should be playing at, but useful because of the points available.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I spent about 45 minutes at the DLTA (National Tennis Courts) this morning. As I parked my car, I noticed that the guy getting out of the Honda City next to me was clearly Yuki Bhambri. So I scrambled up to him, and asked about his knee. He said it was fine, there is less pain -- but "there will always be pain", although now it isn't such an impediment. He remembered the last time we had met as well (when he played a humdinger in the QF of the Singapore Challenger a few years ago against Yen Hsun-lu) and of course the event I organized with him after he had won the Youth Olympics silver medal. It was very nice of him (and impressive memory) to remember both occasions.

He is practicing there against some of the players who are competing at the Futures, but (when I asked him) said that he didn't feel the body was ready yet for tournament play. He will be ready for the Australian Open and the Challengers in India thereafter (although on the latter, it was me suggesting them; as I think back to our conversation, he may not necessarily make the same choice as I suggested...). Walking with him, I was reminded that he is much taller than the players I had watched the last two days (Nitin Sinha, Manish Sureshkumar, Rishab Agarwal) although Niki Poonacha may be close to Yuki in height.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

Good feedback. I feel his career is all but over. I think what's pulling him through is his passion for the game. He might want one last hurrah before calling it a day. I hope his wish comes true.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Yuki was practicing this morning with Saketh Myneni on one of the main hard courts at the National Tennis Centre (as the DLTA complex is now called). It was very intense stuff, and Saketh's T-shirt was absolutely soaked by 1pm (90 minutes into the session). I was surprised at how intense it was, given that Saketh had a doubles match this evening. (Yuki saw me within a couple of minutes of my arrival courtside, and greeted me with "good morning"). But I don't have his phone and email contacts anymore, which is what I had hoped to secure today.

But the practice took precedence and was good to observe. Yuki does have black tape below each knee (as he has had for quite awhile), but his movement was fluid, the natural bend of the knee to generate power off his groundies was unhindered. (It also reminded me why he has had knee trouble: he does use his knees a lot in bending low to generate power off his groundstrokes). And although it was Yuki who was getting the more strenuous workout (for 10-15 minutes, Saketh was volleying hard at him from close to the net), he barely broke a sweat at the end of the 90 minutes in the cold of a Delhi November. I think Yuki will be back and raring to go at the Australian Open.